back to article Tumblr CEO realises ads don't make him sick after all

Just two years after Tumblr founder and CEO David Karp said that advertising on sites like his made him physically sick, Karp has announced that Tumblr will start offering paid advertising. In 2010, Karp told The LA Times that the blogging site was "pretty opposed to advertising" and "it really turns our stomachs". Today at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

... admitting he'd been an "idiot" to say that.

and now an idiot to be unable to create a better revenue stream?

2. asdf

another sellout move along nothing to see here

Society: Everybody has a price and if they don't we will classify they as mentally deranged and lock them up.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I imagine it still turns his stomach, but it also fills his wallet. So there you go...

4. Sloppy Crapmonster
    Alert

Ads turn my stomach

but they pay for a lot of Pepto(r)(TM)(visit us at fuckyeahpeptobismol.tumblr.com!) so it's all okay, then.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

tumblr turns my stomach

bit rich from a fucking awful site full of fucking awful content

the fact that he's going to take 30 pieces of silver for the shame doesn't surprise me

wanker

6. Rande Knight

Insert Pics

Surely the ads would just be adding targetted images/ads into the users Dashboard?

If the user is interested, then they can click on it, and the animated gif can play.

One ad per 50 images would probably be tolerated, especially if the ads are well targetted to fit in with the users preferences. eg. a guy who likes looking at cars may not even notice if an image of a car with some text shows up.

...so bets on how badly they can annoy their users in 3,2,1...

7. Khoos
    Joke

Probably a simple reason

The hosting bill showed up, and 'unlimited traffic *' turned out to be a marketing term.

8. Keep Refrigerated
    Facepalm

Confusing corporations with people again!

My thoughts are corporates only get in on the game when a social network or blogging service turns popular amongst the great unwashed.

If you're so popular that corporate entities are taking advantage of your service to try and reach wallet^H^H^H^H^H^Haudiences, why not charge corporates to use your network and be done with it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like