back to article Microsoft revenues up as PC market recovers

Microsoft has reported strong financial for its latest quarter, with all divisions showing growth apart from its gaming division. Revenues for the quarter were $17.41bn, up six per cent on this time last year, and income grew 12 per cent over the same period to reach $6.37bn. Redmond reported it has also paid out $461m to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nya
    Flame

Wait and see...

"With the upcoming release of new Windows 8 PCs and tablets, the next version of Office, and a wide array of products and services for the enterprise and consumers, we will be delivering exceptional value to all our customers in the year ahead."

Yeah, at which point we'll see the usual large sales to the OEMs and the whooping and back slapping of it being wonderful, quickly followed by the OEMs not being able to give it away and huge panic setting up, heads rolling (but doubtful that it will reach Ballmar) and sudden listening to the actual customer base that 8 is a huge stinking pile of a GUI disaster that MS's core market doesn't want! The same with Office but on a more costly scale.

6 months later downgrade options are extended, and also extended to the standard edition since that's canned as badly as the pro version, we then get a service pack on 8 which will give us a proper desktop and sales gradually return but the markets that ticked off with it we'll get a fast tracked version called 9 along shortly after with Metro an option on install. Meanwhile Office gets a fast downgrade option and a follow on version also fast tracked with a none touchy feely interface.

The only highlight, if that's actually what it will be will be RT which gets a decent push from the big OEMs but still doesn't get market appeal due to lower cost and better featured Android devices which will finally be entering the market after the Android OEMs have finally learned high price devices don't sell again an Ipad.

They think Vista was a big disaster? it's going to make the 8 disaster look like a speed bump!

1. Chris Parsons

Re: Wait and see...

I wonder, have you tried Windows 8? Although I don't like Metro on the desktop, the underlying OS is pretty good - and you really don't have to use Metro, you know. If it's as reliable as Windows 7, it will be a very good, stable platform.

1. Nya

Re: Re: Wait and see...

Extensively. The under laying OS is great. The issue is the bloody awful GUI on it which will result in no one ever being able to get any work done ever again. Tech will have there ear's bitten off if they try to give anyone the tat MS is shovelling with Metro. It's simple, give the user an option to disable Metro and all would be fine, but no! MS is forcing it on all users and as such it's going to bite them so hard on the ass it'll make Vista look like a midge bite compared to the great white shark dangling off there asses when 8 lands.

2. Phoenix50
      FAIL

Re: Wait and see...

Well I tell you what mate, I'll call your post the biggest pile of steaming turd repleat with baseless crud to ever grace the Internet, predict a successful future for both Microsoft and it's upcoming products...and we'll check back here in 12 months to see who was right.

Deal?

2. W.O.Frobozz
    Thumb Down

Boo hoo

You expect PC gaming to thrive? Microsoft drove a stake through PC gaming's heart with the original X-Box and it hasn't recovered. PC gamers don't take kindly to crappy console ports (see: Deus Ex: Invisible War).

1. toadwarrior

Re: Boo hoo

Neither Microsoft or their douche bag fanbase are welcome in console gaming. I wish they'd go back to PC gaming. But it won't happen. It's much easier to bleed customers dry with their closed up xbox.

3. mark l 2 Silver badge

I don't think its a surprise that revenue is down in the gaming division, the xbox 360 is quite old now so doubtful that it was on the top of the christmas list last year as most people who want one already own one and now people know that a next gen console is due they will hang on until thats released. No one wants to by a new console to find out its old tech in a years time

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A cynic would say...

... that it is because they put their licensing prices up. But what would I know, I'm just a cynic.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like