back to article O2 declares 4G trial success... with 1000 users

London is switching off analogue TV today, so O2 is crowing about how marvellously its 4G trials have gone, despite the two things being at opposite ends of the spectrum. O2's LTE trial involves 25 base stations, a couple down in Docklands to cover the O2 Arena (aka The Millennium Dome) and the rest covering most of the West …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ginger

"which makes one wonder why O2 wants any of the old analogue TV spectrum at all"

Breakneck speeds, low latency and excellent coverage with less base statiosn would be the obvious answer.

1. Gordon 10
      Meh

Re: "which makes one wonder why O2 wants any of the old analogue TV spectrum at all"

the cynic in me suggests that should read:

Breakneck speeds or low latency or excellent coverage or less base stations

1. Phil101
        Headmaster

Re: "which makes one wonder why O2 wants any of the old analogue TV spectrum at all"

The grammar nazi in me says that either way it should be fewer base stations.

2. Steve Todd

Simple answer: 2.6GHz is good for urban areas where you have a lot of users in close proximity. 800MHz is good for rural areas where you want few base stations to cover a large swath of land (rolling out a 2.6GHz network nationally needs a lot more base stations).

2. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

I thought I read earler...

That 4G was 100Mb/s unless one was stationary, in which case, 1Gb/s....

Oh, Ray, stoppit! "how to integrate a third network into O2's back end"...I'm running out of my Foxconn keyboards to give to the pub!

3. TAHarris
    FAIL

South East Kent

I think they will also find South East Kent does not loose its analogue signal until June either. That's very south of Watford!

1. Neil 7
      Headmaster

Re: South East Kent

I think they will also find South East Kent does not loose its analogue signal until June either. That's very south of Watford!

lose.

4. Neil Stansbury

Why auction?

Do Ofcom really need to auction these spectrum bands into chucks for specific operators?

It seems a very old fashioned approach. Surely with packet switching & spread spectrum technologies where they are the entire band could be used for multiple operators at the same time? It would also create a very low barrier to entry for new entrants...

1. 0_Flybert_0

Re: Why auction?

>>It would also create a very low barrier to entry for new entrants...<<

exactly why it's being done the same old way

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like