back to article JCB builds Android blower for brickies

JCB has dabbled with mobile phones before, generally offering rugged handsets with limited capabilities. But with the world cementing interest in smartphones, the company has finally chiselled its first Android blower, the Toughphone Pro-Smart. JCB Toughphone Pro-Smart While the digger maker did team with Motorola for a JCB …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought that.....

They already built a robot

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a blower

for your digger!

3. Tom 38

If you can't wash concrete off the touch screen under a tap, this won't last long in many brickies arse crack.

1. handle

IP67

If it really is IP67 then you will be able to wash it under the tap.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My Housemate is a brickie.

He's managed about a year with a Galaxy S protected from brick dust by a sock.

5. frank ly

iP67

Subtle; very subtle.

6. Z-Eden
    Joke

Is it bacon grease resistant? Bacon butty grease is hard to shift you know...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perfect for gigs!

My mate bought one for when go to heavy metal gigs in London clubs! It's perfect when you find your phone accidentally being kicked around and covered in beer on the floor of some dingy live music dive!

8. Ru
    Paris Hilton

So... battery life?

The Sonim devices always had excellent battery life. How's this one measure up?

1. handle

Re: So... battery life?

Well it's got a larger than normal battery. But it's mostly down to the user. I have data switched off on my Orange San Francisco unless I ned it, and it lasts for days on standy.

9. Mondo the Magnificent
    Coat

Nice...

..but will it move the earth?

10. AbortRetryFail
    Thumb Up

Puntastic

Bravo for the puns in the article. :o)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

usless again

and again jcb dont bother asking folk what they need or

want, screen too small, very fiddly to use and it cant dig holes.

12. Steve Evans

Gorilla glass?

I'm sure the ground in cement dust present in most builders fingers will be testing the scratch resistance of the glass a little more than originally intended.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Defy

How is it better than they Defy+JCB you referenced? The IP-rating is the same, both have a shock-resistant casing, same version of Android, but this has a smaller screen, slower CPU, and is more expensive.

Please could you add some journalistic input to your articles otherwise it sounds too much like the press release, I'd like to know why you decided to write about this phone when it has no USP.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I guess the main USP is that this is JCB's first smartphone? Doesn't look very good or anything, but it's still a rugged phone that serves a purpose and has multiple USPs.

Secondly, the Defy has never been IP-rated, so while essentially it offers the same protection, it isn't officially certified to do so. See link for debate.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1113432

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not Defy

Not the Defy, the Defy Plus JCB Edition, which is advertised as IP67-rated.

With this phone JCB are adding nothing new, with worse specs than the Defy+JCB.

15. Dick Emery

Not sand resistant

My friend is a builder and has to use those flip/slide phones because it's easier to answer a call by jut flipping/sliding and not having to touch any buttons or screen. It also protects the screen somewhat and they slide in his back pocket fine.

16. Suburban Inmate

I was a timber yard supervisor

I had the classic 3210 for years. From time to time when the screen became illegible from dust... Took front and back covers off, blew/wiped masses of dust off the business bit, washed other bits and dried under the hand drier, put back together, sorted!

It was a mosh pit at the Brixton Academy that finally put it on its death bed and even then it clung on slowly losing functions for a week or so. In the final hours just defaulting to a simple tone and unable to display the caller, just "call". Freeky!

17. JaitcH
    Unhappy

A large section of the smartphone market ignored

Anyone who has been caught in the deluges in Singapore, Malaysia or elsewhere in the Indochina region that they call monsoons but in reality have more in common with a shower turned on full blast will appreciate this type of handset / cell.

With 'cheap' iPhone replacement Motherboards damaged by water costing the best part of $400, anything that offers protection against rain is welcome. I remember a Panasonic water proof unit along with one from Sony-Ericson that sold very well out here.

There's something detracting about someone fishing a iPhone out of a plastic bag to answer a call, and that's when you have found shelter to do even that it.

The soaking quality of these downpours that can happen without notice, means that almost all clothing is useless for protection of personal electronics.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

I used to have one of the old JCB toughphones. tough as fuck but technologically antedeluvian. Now I have an iPhone in an Otterbox case; tough as fuck AND technologically advanced.

It makes more sense to buy the phone you want and then "armour-plate" it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like