back to article French perfume house bottles 'Eau de new MacBook'

The scent of an unopened MacBook has been captured by a French perfume house which claims to have created a fragrance reminiscent of that accompanying the unboxing of an Apple gadget. No, it's not for commercial use; Apple has surely patented the smell of its products anyway. It's for an art project, but considerable effort …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Get some

In case your smelling wrong

1. Z80

Re: Get some

Or if you're spelling wrong.

2. jake Silver badge

Oh. My. Fucking. Gawd/ess.

What a completely useless waste of time and money.

Remind me to ignore anything from "Air Aroma" in the future. Ta.

3. Danny 5
    Mushroom

way too far

ok, this is pretty much the limit for me, if i see (or smell) a fanboi smelling like that, i WILL punch them in the face.

I mean come on, it would be more then deserved.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: way too far

No jury in the land would convict you. Go ahead, with my blessing.

GJC

1. Arctic fox
        Happy

@Geoff Campbell RE: "No jury in the land would convict you."

What would one plead? Self-defence, provocation or both?

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
          Happy

Re: @Geoff Campbell RE: "No jury in the land would convict you."

Ah, good question. Provocation with a sub-text of artistic integrity, I think.

GJC

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

more than deserved.

1. Danny 5
        Trollface

Go on, be a spelling nazi to the none native English speaker.

I bet i would still beat you at a spelling bee :P

1. Michael Ross

It's 'non' and 'I' and 'Nazi' not 'none' and 'i' and 'nazi'. Or were you being ironic?

4. Blofeld's Cat
    Devil

I can see a market for this...

Imagine it is those Darth Vader ("I felt your presents") days in the run up to Christmas.

The kids are vigorously shaking the mysterious parcels left beneath the tree. From one box comes the distinctive smell of an unopened XBox, Playstation or iPad.

This is surprising as the donor is their much insulted and tormented Aunt Bessie, whose lot unexpectedly improves in the following days.

On Christmas morning the wrappings are torn off the same present to reveal ... a pullover that even Noel Edmonds would decline to wear.

Aunt Bessie punches the air in a silent "Yes!".

1. Lloyd
      Stop

Re: I can see a market for this...

I think you're being rather unfair to aunt Bessie, she does marvellous Yorkshire puds when you can't be arsed to do your own.

5. Scott 2
    Mushroom

I love the smell of...

...overheating iPad's in the morning.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: I love the smell of...

iPong?

iReek?

iStink?

ai, ai, ai!

Now I know why it's sometimes called 'Wiffi'

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

should I ignore the fashion

or go buy the book?

7. David Austin

Sod that - Get these Boffins working on New Game Smell

With the decline of physical media, coupled with smaller/no manuals in the ones you do get, we need to capture that magical smell of the first unwrap for future generations before it's extinct.

1. Richard Ball

There will be new smells

Don't try to preserve our crappy 2012 smells: there will be new ones in the future that will be equally tantalising due to their novelty. I just hope they remain good, honest, unavoidable smells from the factory rather than engineered-in strawberry flavour that's been put in at the injection-moulding machine.

Failing that, we should have good meccano / mamod smells put in with our new shinies - that'll surely confuse people. Sewing-machine oil, anyone?

8. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Of course it's not for sale...

...if it was, it'd be the first perfume ever to come with its own Material Safety Data Sheet.

I bought a wired Apple keyboard recently, and the stink of volatile chemicals from it was so bad it actually gave me headaches - and I'm not sensitive to solvents generally. What it smelled like was electronic switch cleaner, which is hexane/pentane -- neither of which are at all pleasant to inhale.

9. Jaap stoel

Something like this has been done already

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20011102

10. Innes

Could have been a hoax...

...but i remember reading in MacFormat years ago that some company were going ahead to sell a perfume called iPong based on the same smell. The bottle was the shape of a G4 iMac base with the spray nozzle where the screen arm came out

11. Dave 126 Silver badge

Magic (apple) Tree!

'I remember seeing car fresheners being offered for sale... vanilla, pine, and 'new car smell'. This might have been before the scaremongering around the VOCs and other residual nasties left over from the rubbers, glues, foams etc used in making the car.

It is easy to imagine that sticking our nose into something we have just opened is a survival trait... 'is it fresh enough to eat?'. Many people like to savour the smell after breaking thee seal on a pack of coffee.

1. Darryl

Re: Magic (apple) Tree!

MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Carcinogens!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smells like chinese sweat.

Mixed with n-hexane.

Lovely.

13. ChrisCF

Instinctive but strange

It's interesting for an art show.

The interesting part is actually that any smell, it doesn't even have to be related to Apple can remind you of a significant moment. In this case though opening up a new Apple product will of course give off a smell, like it or not, assuming most people experience opening up their apple gadgets as an exciting moment the smell is eventually associated with it.

I guess thats why people sometimes like a new car smell, doesn't smell great really, but it's a momentous occasion that linked to a scent.

1. Anonymous IV

Re: Instinctive but strange

There was the instance of the chap who had just gone to collect his new company car - but rejected it because "it doesn't smell new", and told them to get one which DID smell new!

14. Nev
    Alert

Copying something belonging to Apple?

I feel a lawsuit brewing.....

15. Cliff

Masturbation

Surely the predominant smell of a new iProduct being opened is that of 'Harry Monk', to borrow from our Cockney chums.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Follow up products

"Eau de Amstrad" - A delicate fragrance of sweat, beards and fear.

"Eau de Sinclair" - The delightful aroma of rubber.

"Eau de Dell" - Essentially the same as the Apple scent but in a plastic bottle.

17. David 45

Smellyvision?

A-ha! I can see it all now. Obviously in preparation for NEXT year's April 1st.

18. John A Blackley

Couldn't you just

Couldn't you just have made do with the headline and a one-line article that said, "Okay, fire away with your usual, dreary anti-Apple comments'?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Couldn't you just

Not bothered reading the "dreary anti-Apple comments"?

19. Captain DaFt
    Meh

I can see the the hipsters wearing this

That is, ironically, while they drivel on about how they used i(whatever) before it was cool, but now use Blackberrys/Nokias because they're more "ironic".

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

does it come in a pretty box?

So, how did they get the smell of fanboi ejaculate or is that question one I really don't want the answer to?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like