back to article Intel penetrates PCIe flash biz with long-lasting hardness

A little while after its competitors, Intel has come up with its own PCIe flash card, the SSD 910. It is not a speed king, but boy, does it last: five years at 10 full writes a day. The SSD 910 caps out Intel's 300 and 700 SSD ranges. It is a half-height, half-length PCIe gen 2 x8 card storing 400GB or 800GB of 25nm MLC flash …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mr Anonymous
    Thumb Up

LSI 2008

Should be good for a ZFS SAN

2. Muhammad Imran/mi1400
    Thumb Down

Its not joy of SLC 9xx coming but fear of its capacity

Its not joy of SLC 9xx coming but fear of its capacity ... the catch will be that lowest capacity drive will be like 120-GB leaving programmers, mid size DB/Web servers looking at these from shop windows like beggers... They always do this "catch" thing with customers and when they go down drain like RIM, Symbian they start begging pretty please. I always had high hopes with micron. Got P200 64GB (used) for 150$ a year back and since praise them every instance i think of word "SSD".

3. Tony Rogerson
    Thumb Down

Storage - always behind?

Just like their 520, way behind the competition.

Reminds me of the processor war in the commodity space when AMD slam dunked Intel on performance until Intel caught up with their i7 stuff, now the opposite is true.

T

4. gcn

It’s important to note that many enterprise applications are looking for high random read/write performance rather than just streaming data performance. For example, many SSD deployments are for OLTP database environments which are heavily oriented towards mixed random read/write I/Os. I think an important question to address is the Intel 910’s random read/write performance on a 4K/8K block size and how that compares to other SSDs (especially when the drive is near full capacity), because that is the performance metric that matters most to the majority of enterprise environments and applications that are currently using SSDs.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like