back to article Pew study finds one in five Americans still won't go online

A hardcore 20 per cent of Americans ain't using the internet and don’t want to neither, according to the latest survey data from the Pew Internet and American Life project. The survey data showed that since 1995 internet use in the US had grown from around 10 per cent to just over 78 per cent in August of last year. The rate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Don Jefe
    Happy

No Good Anyway

I mean, what's it really do for me?

1. Graham Marsden
      Coat

Re: No Good Anyway

And what have the Romans ever done for us...?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy

Last I checked (at least in my area), there's a fair amount of non-English speaking people that can't afford internet services at their cramped residences. Sometimes, it need not be a group of refutniks, but those that may not actually care.

1. Nuke
      Facepalm

Re: Easy

Maybe they are all sharing a single Wi-Fi connection that some dim-wit (or crusading commie) has left open.

In my experience people who are "short of money" still spend on anything important to them. It is well known that the poor on average spend more on fags, booze and lottery tickets than the well-off.

I have some in-laws who spend all the money they have left over (after buying the cheapest possible food from Lidl) on fags, chain smoked. They could easily afford the Internet on a fraction of what they spend on fags, and they have been offered a free PC. Their response :- "What's the point?" and they light up another fag.

If politicians believe they can get the whole population "connected" it is because they have never been acquainted with any real-world people like these.

3. Charles Manning

... or maybe they don't really know what internet means.

I've heard some daft stuff.

One person say they don't need the internet because they use dial up.

Another said they use ${ISP_NAME} and don't need the internet.

4. pixl97
    Headmaster

Reverse

Ya'll are thinking about this the wrong way.

This 20% are the bunch of todgers that I've told to get off the net and never get back on for the safety of humankind. Now they sit watching infomercials with credit card in hand, and luckly not replying to the spam that could be in their potental inbox. Their corrupted boxes will not be spreading nasty goo across the nets. They have done the rest of us a favor... KEEP THEM OFF THE NET for our safety.

1. Allan George Dyer
      Paris Hilton

Re: Reverse

I admire your unparalleled dedication in personally contacting 62 million people to ensure our safety. But tell me, how did you do it? Can't have been email, and that is a LOT of phonecalls!

5. AndrueC Silver badge
    Trollface

>nearly half say they aren't interested because they don’t see the internet as relevant to them

If the alternative is millions of Facepalm or Twatter accounts they may have point.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Luddites?

Maybe it's because some of them actually have lives?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Luddites?

Me too! That's why I save time by shopping online. And why I don't have to walk into town to go to the bank or the Council any more...

2. Triggerfish

Re: Luddites?

Have to agree, my friend possibly uses it for an hour or so a week, he just can't see the point of it and would rather be out sailing, playing rugby, mucking about with his kid etc its a pretty fair point.

7. Dan 10

Be interesting to see this by geography. Assuming 90%+ are on the web in, say, New York, there's probably a lot of little backwater towns where being online just isn't on anyone's agenda.

8. g e
    Joke

20% of the USA is Amish?

Seriously?

9. Britt Johnston
    Angel

luddites?

Luddites were a group who broke machines to slow down progress. I think the non-users are blameless here, and certainly no comparison to spammers, malware makers and intrusive business practicians.

Who really broke the internet, anyway?

1. Benjamin 4

Re: luddites?

The point is that luddites were against new technology, in the same way that non internet users are against the current new technology - the internet.

10. daveeff
    Stop

Not everyone has a choice here...

> 2 per cent can't physically use a computer and 6 per cent live in an area where access

When you're done slagging these guys off spare a thought for those who don't have the option. Though of those 6% who have no access I guess they may have the option to move.

It's also not clear if this includes people who go on line via cafes / libraries but have no home access.

>can't physically use a computer

hmm, I've elderly rellies who could just about USE a computer but couldn't navigate the web too well (visual & dexterity issues) and certainly would have problems keeping AV up to date & taking on board the whole security mindset - they will ring premium rate lines because they've "won" something, what they'd make of a half decent phishing mail I wouldn't like to think.

And this is a US study - .7% of the population is in prison!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not everyone has a choice here...

".7% of the population is in prison!"

Yeah, but our prisoners have internet connections.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correct me if I'm wrong - haven't read it, after all! - The Internet isn't in the Old Testament, is it? QED.

12. Just Thinking

Some parts of the USA teaching evolution is banned in schools, which in a democracy I take to mean >50% of the population don't believe in science. (At least I hope so, because any educated person who can sit by and watch science removed from schools because they can't be bothered to vote deserves the theocratic state they are going to get).

So at least 30% of the population use the internet, but think god makes it work.

1. John A Blackley

Close, but....

To my knowledge in no part of the USA is teaching evolution banned in schools. In some parts of the USA it is mandatory to teach whatever bloody nonsense they call it nowadays as an alternative theory.

Oh, and even if it were, banning the teaching of evolution is not the same as removing the entire corpus of "science from schools".

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Close, but....

It was banned in my Lutheran High School. I lost my computer privileges for even asking "whut about dem dinosaurs?"

2. Just Thinking

@ John A Blackley

Depends what sort of nonsense. ID is a bit silly - anything science can't currently explain MUST be the work of god. That has been going on since they blamed Thor for thunderstorms, and science doggedly chips away at it. Young earth creationism (earth created 6000 years ago), which I think is taught in some schools, calls into doubt many areas of science (cosmology, nuclear physics, geology etc). But also it refutes the scientific method. That is seriously bad.

The problem is it makes people with limited scientific knowledge think that proven science is "just a theory". Well it is, but not in the sense that anything any idiot makes up is equally valid. So then you get teenage mums, who only have a kid because they were too stupid to use contraception, deciding that their opinion on the safety of MMR is at least as good as that of the entire medical profession. Suddenly measles epidemic, who knew.

13. AJames
    Devil

Thank goodness!

You won't be laughing when these people are the ones left to save the human race after alien mind-hackers take over the rest of us via the internet and our mobile phones!

1. Nexox Enigma

Re: Thank goodness!

"""You won't be laughing when these people are the ones left to save the human race after alien mind-hackers take over the rest of us via the internet and our mobile phones!"""

OK by me - I've got an unlikely quantity of firewalls (displayed in real time and full color on a handy flat screen) and a sweet Nokia smart phone. If movies are anything to go by, I'll run into an action hero and provide questionable technical plot devices while things blow up for no reason. We'll then send the aliens packing, the hero will get the girl, and I'll find a beer. Roll credits.

Kidding about the firewalls, of course, but you'll have to pry my N900 from my cold, dead fingers.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

plateaus

Shouldn't that be "plateaues" ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like