back to article Sharp starts punching out IGZO LCDs for retina screens

They came too late for the iPad 3, but Sharp has now begun producing ultra-high resolution LCD panels based on its IGZO technology. Sharp today said it was making available 32in, 3840 x 2160 panels - that's 140 dots per inch - for monitors, plus 10in, 2560 x 1600 (300dpi) and 7in, 1280 x 800 (217dpi) for tablets. IGZO stands …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jai

32 inches?

That's a bit small by today's standards isn't it?

Nearly everyone I know has at least a 40" lcd telly these days.

1. qwarty

Re: 32 inches?

And that relates to an announcement of a 32" HD monitor display how?

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

iTV

Do we actually have one tiniest scrap of evidence for the "iTV", beyond Jobs' dying words? I reckon he just wanted to hoax the entire industry, personally.

GJC

3. Tom 38
    Thumb Up

WANT

I want a super hi res monitor like that more than almost anything. Tech lust has taken over me.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Woman

That 30" dell you bought me for my birthday... it's out of date. I'll have one of these please. Oh, and a cuppa would be nice,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Woman

*** CLOUT ***

5. Chris D Rogers
    Go

Why not a 32in iMac

If an iMac came in 32in format or Apple Monitor - this would be a significant improvement - basically, you have both a reasonable PC to use at the heart of a media centre.

Now if only they'd add an HDMI connection to bang a Xbox or PS3 on it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Why not indeed?

If they think they can sell one of these as a Thunderbolt model I don't doubt they can afford the tooling-up costs.

It would work very nicely with a high-res OS X redesign as well.

7. Michael Ross

More light?

Why do smaller pixels allow more light through? Surely the more pixels there are the more dead space around each pixel and the less light is transmitted? Someone enlighten me please.

1. Lallabalalla
      Happy

More light

Isn't it just like candlepower? A million candles is a million times brighter than one candle. Very useful analogy if you are going to be using your monitor or telly or whatever this thing is to read a book by :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like