back to article Pasce Minirig micro speaker

Reg Hardware Gizmo Week logo small British audio engineering firm Pasce has made such a big splash with its Minirig speakers that it had to stop taking orders for a while to replenish its stocks. It tells me that they’re available to buy again now, so I took a pair for a spin. The speakers are sold individually, intended to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jai

daisy chain?

that's awesome that you can daisy chain them. I wonder how many in the link you need before the sound out of the last one is noticably later than the sound from the first one.

a room full of these could be an awesome sound effect. or could be utterly awful.

if i win the lottery this weekend, i'm going to try it out :)

1. Crappa

Re: daisy chain?

We hooked up a ring of 22 of these in a huge circle one afternoon in a park and the sound was amazing. It seemed to emanate from everywhere with no loss of quality all the way round. Linking up any more than 3 in a standard living room is easily enough to annoy the neighbours! :D Love my minirig.

2. Llyander
    Holmes

So does anyone know how these compare to the far cheaper X-Mini range of speakers (£15 each at Amazon)? I have two of those and the sound they pump out is astonishing for such tiny little things.

3. JetSetJim

Audiophiles....

I'm surprised Monster don't run to something more expensive than this:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=660

4. thomas k.
    Facepalm

scale reference?

I wish when El Reg ran reviews of items variously described as tiny, small, diminutive, etc. that they would include in the obligatory product photo something like a cigarette pack or a deck of cards which can show the comparative size of the reviewed item.

1. Some Beggar

Re: scale reference?

It's got 3.5mm jacks for scale. But I agree, it wouldn't have broken the bank to stick a box of swan vestas next to it in the photographs.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or maybe something like a 3.5mm audio cable going into a 3.5mm audio jack...

6. Jim 59

Sorry for the skepticism

Companies with fancy sounding names have been selling small speakers that "sound just like big ones" since 1973. They *all* sound like small speakers.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wahey!

At last The Reg reviews clearly the best little speaker on the market!

These things are made in a little workshop round the corner from my house in Bristol, and we've bought several for mates birthdays. Every time we take them out somebody else gets sold on them.

Jai - You can keep chaining them together ad-infinitum for all intents and purposes and it would sound LOUD.

Llyander - You can't compare these to X-Mini, they are in a completely different class. Check out Wired's review to see them compared to other manufacturers.

This a a genuine world-beating, UK designed and built product, and I can't recommend them enough. Looking forward to the matching subwoofer being released....

8. Jamie Kitson

Charging

From their website it looks like they charge through USB. I'm disappointed that you didn't address this. Is the eight hours by USB from a computer? Is it faster from the mains?

9. Random Coolzip

"Avoides temptation to overdo the bass"?

More like "lacks the surface area". Although 15W in a package that size is pretty impressive. I assume it's a Class D amp? They're pretty, but also pretty pricey. I think I'll stick with my old boom-box that I modified to hold my MP3 player in the cassette door -- it's got bigger speakers and a handle. I'd rather that than hauling around a bag full of bits and cables.

1. Oddb0d

Re: "Avoides temptation to overdo the bass"?

Presumably the reveiwer means the amp doesn't run out of steam at high volume, you know how most cruddy plastic speakers with dirt cheap op-amps tend to do. From the website, "An in-built digital amplifier provides a massive 15 WATTS of raw power", that pretty much confirms you're correct, plus according to the guy that makes them "There's also a built in clip limiter and compressor."

I've no idea what polycarbonite is though... maybe Han Solo knows ;)

@Jamie Kitson: Although it's supplied with a USB cable any 5V DC plug pack with a 2.1mm barrel plug can be used to charge it from mains.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. minirigs

Thanks

Hey thanks for the comments and interest. I'll just clear up some of your questions:

@Jai - The input impedance is high so in theory you could daisy chain a thousand. You might see some strange antenna effects, I don't think we will ever found out. The most we have done is 22 so far. That was fun!

@thomas k - yes I was hoping reg would take some photos. There are other reviews which show size reference. It fits in the palm of your hand if you hold it by the base.

@Jim 59 - I don't think there were ever any claims that it "sounds just like big ones" but the technology has moved on a lot since 1973. We believe its certainly the biggest sound you can currently get from a speaker this size.

@Jamie Kitson - It pulls 500ma from the USB so as not to overload your ports. It will always take a while to charge due to the large battery inside. You can actually charge it from 8V if you want a faster charge

@Oddb0d - Polycarbonite may indeed be used in Star Wars, polycarbonate is used in the Minirig.

@Random Coolzip - bigger speakers will indeed produce more bass. It's simple science. It's just whatever you feel comfortable carrying round.

This topic is closed for new posts.