back to article iPad to reign unchallenged as KING of FONDLESLABS

Global shipments of fondleslabs are predicted to nearly double to 119 million in 2012 but Apple's dominance is unlikely to be challenged, Gartner box counters claim. This represents a whopping 98 per cent leap on the 60 million tabs sold worldwide last year, the analyst revealed. But Google and its band of hardware partners …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"King of Fondleslabs"

Oiy Vey!

2. Sweeping Brush

I'm assuming this is a typo?

73 million units compared to 37,900 device running Android.

3. shameek

But IPAD marketshare has shrunk to 45% so who has the other 55% - when the article claims 37,900 Android devices.

4. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Down

"there are roughly 3.4 million Android tablets that have been sold to end users up to this point." - October 16, 2011

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394752,00.asp

"Thanks to Amazon, Android Could Overtake iPad by 2016" - March 15, 2012

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/03/android-overtake-apple-2016/

That was after 2 minutes of Googling. Of course, no one has ever heard of PC Mag and Wired, have they...

5. John Robson Silver badge

Transformer...

In my eyes is a game changer.

I can't think why I'd buy a laptop any more.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Transformer...

Because a Transformer is just a netbook, but costs twice as much as one? Not that I'll quibble with your choice, I think it's a fine piece of kit, but you have to be using the Transformer as both tablet and laptop before paying the price premium becomes worthwhile.

1. sabroni Silver badge
        Facepalm

>>but you have to be using the Transformer as both tablet and laptop before paying the price premium becomes worthwhile.<<

no shit!

2. John Robson Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Screen/Battery/Boot times are all far better with the Asus Transformer than any netbook I've used, and better than pretty much every laptop as well - maybe excluding a MacBook air, which competes on boot times/screen.

But besides that the simplicity of use and the fact that you can just grab the screen and flop onto the sofa to "consume", and slot it into the keyboard to do some real work makes it more valuable than a tablet and a laptop seperately.

People here are a somewhat refined breed - but for *most* home users I can't see anything that I would want a PC for - I have a wireless router from my ISP, a network printer (or plug it into some routers) and maybe a small NAS, or cloud storage, or plug a USB drive into the router.

The Transformer can take external storage - SD cards, USB devices etc - it can push data to various network devices.

It can do word processing, email, FB, skype, twitter, games, media, browsing etc...

NB - I actually recommended that my parents get one - and they have. I really like it, although admit that the keyboard would take a few hours to get used to for serious work.

1. big_D Silver badge
          Trollface

Re: Boottime

what is the boot time on the Transformer?

My iPhone and htc Sensation boot a lot more slowly than my Windows 7 laptop... Both take over a minute to boot, my laptop is up and running in under 30 seconds.

2. SYNTAX__ERROR
          IT Angle

You say "plug a USB drive into the router" - what do you mean by that exactly?

Do you have a router at home that has a function to host USB storage? That sounds like a really good idea. My curiosity would be sated if you could say what model it is.

3. P. Lee
        Linux

Wrong competition noted. The iPad is the competition - we all know that pads are not as good value as laptops, but you get an ips screen etc.

The issue will be whether we get decent apps for quad-core. I'd like to see nvidia and AMD put arm/android/linux on desktop graphics cards which can power up just the 2d bits without fans or bringing up the main computer. Add a Nic and USB ports and off you go, direct to screen or windowed if another os running. The same technique could be used to get ip telephony going properly i.e. Not dependent on a main host OS being booted or functional.

2. CheesyTheClown
      Go

not sure about transformer, but slate is awesome

I'm typing this on Windows 8 CP on a Samsung Series 7 Slate while watching a CBT Nugget for CCIE training on 1/4 of the screen in metro mode. I got this machine from my wife for Christmas this year. So far, I've played WoW, DC Universe (with wireless Xbox controllers), Leisure Suit Larry VGA remake in ScummVM, I've written 40 page essay on routing protocol design with graphics using a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I have studied for my CCNA, CCSI, CCNP and now for my CCIE on it. I have written an SSH client for Metro and Windows Phone using Visual Studio on it. I have watched movies on it. Taught classes using Intel WiDi with it. And most impressively, played AngryBirds Space on it.

The only thing that will make me give up this machine is a Windows Slate with Ivy Bridge as I'm experimenting with OpenCL development for highly parallelized GPU based video codecs written in WebCL and Ivy Bridge supports OpenCL much better.

I used to read books to my kids on my iPad and watch a film or two. This Slate replaced the iPad almost immediately and now I use my iPad as a coffee cup coaster. Why would I carry two devices when I can carry just this one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: not sure about transformer, but slate is awesome

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't think you're really anyone's target market. An edge case if ever there were one.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

edge case

> I don't think you're really anyone's target market. An edge case if ever there were one.

Agreed, and as someone else pointed out above, this will be true for many Reg readers.

I don't want an iPad - but then I wouldn't buy a Slate or a Transformer either. That's partly because I loathe touchscreens, but it's also because both of the laptops I use daily are high-spec machines and I keep them very busy. On this one I have a compute- and IO-expensive test suite running right now, a build just finished, several source files are sitting in editor sessions, I was on a video conference call a couple of minutes ago - you get the picture. I certainly can work on lower-spec systems (I've been developing software since the '80s), but I wouldn't pay money for the privilege. And I don't want a machine I can't develop software on.

But I *know* I'm an edge case. I don't expect the market to follow my whims.

6. AD2011
    Stop

Which is it?

Android is going to win - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/14/idc_forecasts_android_will_overtake_ios_by_2016/

Apple is going to win - http://www.reghardware.com/2012/04/11/apple_to_maintain_tablet_lead_over_android_through_2016_says_gartner/

Android is winning where it matters - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/11/china_android_market_leader/

Apple will win - http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2012/04/11/tablet_forecast/

Please make your mind up.

1. jai

Re: Which is it?

the answer, of course, is that no one has a clue. but everyone knows that you'll get plenty of click-through rates if you write articles about it and analysts will continue to get paid if they make predictions that are sufficiently far into the future (i.e. more than 6 months) that no one will remember what they said they the time arrives.

Who loses? Us poor mugs that read this gumpf in the misguided hope that we might glean some useful information from it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BYOD

When anyone B[Y]OD to this site, they'll only be using to get to Facebook. It certainly won't be allowed to access the domain save through webmail.

1. TangD

Re: BYOD

You might be left in the past then. BYOD is coming, take your head out of the sand and start figuring out how not trying to hold back the tide

1. Semaj
        Devil

Don't give them the wifi password. Whitelist devices, tell them "tough" and laugh at their tears and foot stamping.

Failing that, ensure that their device adheres to your "rigorous" (BOFH) PAT testing procedure, which involves how well the device copes when dropped from a 3rd floor window and being sliced in half with a buzz saw.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: BYOD -

If it's needed for work, then it's up to the company to pay for it. And if it goes wrong, the company will replace or repair.

If it's wanted for personal use, then they can pay for it. If it goes wrong, I'm not fixing it, nor dealing with the guy who sold it to them. Nor will I be spending time on getting their devices to work with our setup.

If people start to forget where their personal life stops and work begins then either the company will get more work done than it is paying them for, or they will spend more of company time on their personal life. I don't want the company to get overtime for free, for people to forget to switch off work when they go home, or sit in an office playing whatever game they downloaded to their device.

As well as getting confused as to whether they are sending from a corporate email address or a personal one, accidentally taking work data out of the place on their own device, I'm sure people can see other problems that BYOD might cause.

3. Mark 65

@TangD: Take your head out of the sand?

You might want to try not latching onto the latest Gartner puff-piece. There is no way any enterprise will allow BYOD unless they can completely control the configuration, security, updates etc of that device. The user will not want that. The enterprise do not want to have to support a myriad of devices - internal costs go through the roof just to scratch some managerial muppet's gadget itch and productivity goes down. It just does not make sense on any level.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: BYOD @Mark 65

Tell that to IBM, the inventor of the IBM PC, who now have more users on Mac than PC because they operate BYOD.

1. big_D Silver badge
            Stop

Re: BYOD - Control

Control of the devices is the big issue with BYOD.

The company and the CEO and CIO have responsibilities under the law, to ensure that company data - especially peronally identifiable data, such as contacts, emails etc. are kept secure and cannot be accessed by non-authorised employees or people outside the company.

That means, technically, if an employee BYODs an iPad to the office, he will have to agree to the corporate security policy, have the device locked down (PIN number to unlock etc.) and they will have to agree not to let family members and friends access the device, once it has been loaded up with corporate data, such as EAS access to the mail system...

1. Hooksie

Re: BYOD - Control

*cough, bollocks, cough*

Nah, you make a fair point but that issue has already been dealt with by running the corporate apps through a sandbox which is encrypted and accessible to the corporate network.

Personally I don't know why anyone would WANT to BYOD for work unless the stuff your enterprise were giving you was years out of date and running old OS's with crappy browsers like IE6! Oh, wait........ ;)

2. MJI Silver badge

I had to BYOD once.

My work PC failed big time.

Grabbed a load of parts from my loft and built a replacement using work case and my CPU, MB, GFX and HDD ect.

Even though it was old it was fastest at work and then work thought time to buy new PCs

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Moses would have used Apple tablets

I bet he would also try to take them back under warranty after he threw them on the floor... "Has this machine suffered any shock?" "Er.. well.. I dunno, maybe when it was with one of the kids"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Moses would have used Apple tablets

Did he have the gift receipt though.

" And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God"

Can't find any mention as to whether the tabernacle was supposed to have rounded corners.

1. Local Group
        Unhappy

The finger of God

I don't believe Apple offers an optional "Finger of God" if you buy an iPad.

If Moses had a hand tremor, he would have thrown his iPad on the ground, not because the iniquity of his Tribe, but because touch screens are a pain in the kiester.

1. Arctic fox
          Joke

@Local Group. Re:"I don't believe Apple offers an optional "Finger of God" if you buy an iPad."

No, that's true but it is likely that they will very happily give you the finger free, gratis and for nothing!

2. SuccessCase

Re: Moses would have used Apple tablets

If iPads were around methinks we would have a different Bible. Exodus 32:19

"When Moses approached the camp and saw the calf and the dancing, his anger burned and he gently put his tablets down at the foot of the mountain."

9. toadwarrior

Apple doesn't have a reason to worry because there is no compelling reason to own another tablet. You only buy an android tablet because you're a fanboy or you can't afford an ipad but absolutely must have a tablet for some reason.

1. Semaj
      Thumb Down

How about people who want a way to browse YouTube and play crappy games but don't want to pay loads of money?

Personally I don't need or want a tablet but I can see the reasoning of those that do and a cheaper one would be more than enough for most users who don't use even half the power of an iPad.

2. frank ly
      Headmaster

That's 'fandroid' . 'Fanboi/Fanboy' is for iStuff.

3. Jim Carter
      Thumb Down

I hope you're trolling.

Because outside of BBC HYS, that has got to be the daftest thing I've read all day if not.

10. andreas koch
    Devil

apple-armageddon

Has anyone ever spared a thought what would happen if the iPad BYODing* penpushers upstairs push the complete Apple architecture through? As in: ' I, Mr. B.I.G. Cheese, have an iPad, why does the rest of the company have to use these awful Windows things? Make it all Apple at the next hardware change, BOFH! What do you mean, software incompatibility? I'm sure there's an App for that, go do the job I pay you for, or shall I hire someone competent? My nephew is very good with iPads, you know...'

* on company allowance, of course...

1. pete23
      Flame

Re: apple-armageddon

Brilliant! So the horror of the bloody Windows XP ThinkPad X200 can be swapped for an 11.5" Air and my Z600 workstation can be swapped for a Mac Pro... Practically most of my work is done either in an e-mail client (Notes! Gone!) or a web browser or Eclipse (works fine on MacOS) or a shell (bye bye Cygwin) or a word processor (to be honest even OpenOffice is OK these days)... About the only thing I can see me really getting upset about is the lack of Visio.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did I read the article wrong to everyone else ?

I read 37 million not 37,900. I wouldn't exactly consider that a poor number or a failure for Android.

1. pete23

...or was it corrected? Mysterious.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like