back to article Sony to cut 10,000 jobs in quest for profitability

Sony is planning a major restructuring, with around 10,000 jobs – about 6 per cent of the company's global workforce – expected to get the chop after a press conference this Thursday. Japanese newspaper Nikkei has reported (from behind a paywall) that the new chief executive Kazuo Hirai, who took the helm of the loss-making …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. asdf
    FAIL

what?

How could this happen what will the roaring success the PS3 and Vita have been according to the fanbois? Oh that right it's not because of Sony's business practices, love of DRM, or crappy products but because the public just doesn't understand.

1. toadwarrior

Re: what?

What do the ps3 and drm have to do with chemical holdings and lcd screens?

2. Darryl

I still have a very hard time understanding how execs get huge bonuses every year when the company is hemorrhaging money. When I've asked business know-it-alls, all I've gotten is the usual crap about having to pay a lot to attract the best. How can they be the best if they're running the company into the ground?

1. asdf
      Unhappy

>How can they be the best if they're running the company into the ground?

It takes years to truly prove you are not only the biggest yes man who never complains and always kisses the right butts but you that also know how to even break the law to destroy potential rivals. To encourage the sociopaths to go to all this effort you need to divide most of the pie at the top (in this case shareholder $ not profit) with them.

3. King Jack
    Pint

And who said wishes don't come true.

I'll drink to their demise.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: And who said wishes don't come true.

Sadly I can remember when Sony was an honourable company, and a good example of Japanese excellence.

Probably about the time before it bought in to media and the USA way of litigation, DRM, etc.

2. Mikel
      Pint

Re: And who said wishes don't come true.

@King Jack - I'll buy a round. DRM, rootkit, copyright lobbying, Glitter, stupid proprietary media, Windows only drivers... and the hits go on. Yeah, let's toast their passing already.

4. b166er

King Jack, with the exception of the unfortunate redundancies that will follow, I'll join you.

Unless they're SERIOUS about turning the company around. I suspect that's just sweet nothings for the shareholders though.

5. Tony Paulazzo

Here's a freebie Sony

Get your customers onside. I.E. treat them like valued customers not thieves and hackers, they'll keep coming back - ask Apple.

DISCLAMER: Not a fanboi, honest... Well I do have an iPad3, but I also have an HTC Sensation (which Virgin mobile just updated to ICS 4 - way cool and running sweet), and a Windows laptop, & desktop dual booting Ubuntu.

6. ehoffman

So, it looks like that the Anonymous attacks and PSN takedown last year did manage to do some harm after all...

1. I think so I am?
      Joke

you mean good?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like