back to article Apple tells staff to 'capture' iPad 3s with Wi-Fi troubles

Apple is investigating the growing number of claims that the New iPad - aka the iPad 3 - suffers from weak Wi-Fi woes. Information provided by Cupertino to support staff and Apple Store employees across the US, snapped by a worker and send to 9to5Mac, shows the company is now replacing iPad 3s brought in by customers who claim …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RainForestGuppy

Can't knock customer service

Is this a change of managent style from Apple? To admit when things are less than perfect.

Under Jobs, customers would have been told they were holding it wrong, it was down to sun spots etc.

Don't get wrong Jobs was a very good visionary, but how can you say this.. a trifle arrogant.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't knock customer service

Typical fandroid. And I suppose you think google's customer support is perfect?

2. Bob Vistakin
      FAIL

Its the buttering up before they direct everyone here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12297569, or port that app over for those who hold it wrong.

3. Peter 48

Apple haven't admitted any fault, nor will they ever as it goes against their company policy. To maintain their brand image of infallibility and perfection they will never admit any problem if they can and severely downplay any problem they can't hide from generally passing the blame onto the end user. Apple staff are strictly forbidden from making any critical comments about the company or admit the existence of any problem. Everything is phrased in a positive light and as they control the majority of their customer exchange they can bury any information on returns and fault percentages in their favour. That way customers are led to believe their products "just works".

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@RainForestGuppy: "Is this a change of managent style from Apple? To admit when things are less than perfect."

In my experience, Apple's support can be outstanding. Not uniformly, unfortunately, but far better than your average electronics/computer store. For example, the accelerometers in new iPhones are sometimes incorrectly calibrated (so the phone thinks it's tilting when its actually level). It's a problem with mass-manufacturing - not every item comes out the same. I had one with that problem, took it into the nearest Apple Store, they quickly ran a diagnostic and replaced it on the spot (only wiping the phone after confirming I had backed up my data). There was no hassle whatsoever. The fact that they swap iPads with faulty WiFi is in the same vein - if they run a diagnostic and the machine faults, it gets exchanged. It sounds to me as if Apple has taken delivery of a bad batch of WiFi chips.

5. Chad H.

No change in style, their replacements have been almost no questions asked for some time - had some corrosion on the port of an iPhone 4; no questions just "Ok, I see its corrosion, here's your new phone".

Similar experience with replacing a keyboard on a 2yr old Macbook pro - laptop ready next day for pickup.

1. Law
        Pint

I'm far from an Apple fanatic, but their customer service in the Trafford Center (Manchester) store is pretty awesome.

I had a macbook pro battery that randomly stopped working, it would die after half hour running off battery. They diagnosed and replaced it no questions asked (even though I'd stupidly booked the appointment in the wrong store).

Another example - my mother-in-law managed to turn their battery cover the wrong way on the wireless keyboard once - it wouldn't open. She took it into an Apple store to see if they could open it, when they said they couldn't they asked how old it was.

"3 years... " she replied.

"Ah... it's out of warranty then - but it's obviously faulty.. here, have a new one on us."

Can't fault that.

Unfortunately though the one time every few years I might need decent customer service doesn't outweigh the cost of the products for me now I have kids, plus I don't like the direction OSX is heading in now.

6. Euchrid

"Is this a change of managent style from Apple? To admit when things are less than perfect."

As the article says (and made very, very clear that the article links to), the source of this story is an internal AppleCare document - something that isn't intended (unless leaked on purpose) for public consumption. The company hasn't admitted anything - and it's more than likely that Apple has had plenty of such documents to indicate issues that employees will be getting complaints over.

Before Cook become CEO permanently, it was widely reported that he ran the day to day operations as COO. Since he took the helm, there have been stories (such as Apple now matching employee charitable donanation) that make Cook sound more like a fluffy bunny rabbit than Jobs, but I very much doubt management has changed that much...

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

smugness

I have the new iPad full fat 64GB complete with WiFi and 3G we don't have 4 whatever in the uk.

No problems, no overheating....

So I sit here with a smug self satisfied look on my face.

While,

The person sitting next to me has just said 'bastar* I hate you' because he has a motorola zooooooom thingy that stutters and spits at him.

Ah, I feel good...... sooooooo good.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: smugness

And this is why people hate and deride Apple fanbois (and by extension, all Apple users).

1. LarsG

Re: smugness

Sadly they have the right to be smug.

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

a conspiracy

By fandroids who don't have an iPad flooding the web with complaints in envious jealousy to make out there are widespread problems..

9. Roboman
      Happy

Unfair, unfair! Cry foul! Yes, Jobs made some arrogant cracks about holding it wrong... but he also made smart points about other smartphones being similarly affected... and they moved pretty quickly to provide bumpers, $ back, etc.

Similarly, with the price drop on the original iPhone.

Plus, under Jobs's reign, Apple customers routinely could return products out of warranty or broken ones (e.g., dropped iPhones) to Apple stores--and get FREE replacements.

So, I think you owe the late, great Jobs an apology! :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Capture....

Well they have already captured the fanboy... No harm done by capturing the device as well....

But can the fanboy refuse to submit to the slab capture??? Will he??? Or will he be happy they are taking away his doodad and boast on all public/ online fora of the same???

Questions, questions, questions...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Capture....

If you read the article, the iPad will be replaced - no questions. Back it up, take it in, take a new one home.

It's gotta be better than doing Xoom style where you had to send the device back to get the upgrade. That was truly an awful way to go about things

1. Wombling_Free
        Thumb Down

"take a new one home"

Er, no. If you have ever had to take an Apple product back (and I have) you DO NOT get a new one. You get a 'refurbished' one. Which may then have it's own set of problems (as mine did) and you take that back and say 'hey, how come the replacement stopped working? Isn't this a NEW one?' you discover, no - they will only give you a 'refurbished' one back. So what? Well if it's an item that uses 3/4G and thus has an IMEI number, say one that has been reported as STOLEN you are in for a whole bundle of fun when your phone provider gets involved...

1. Law

"Er, no. If you have ever had to take an Apple product back (and I have) you DO NOT get a new one."

I've only ever seen them replace for new - but then again they weren't iPhones, maybe their policy is different there.

2. Chad H.

In which Case Wombling, Apple have messed up and give you another one that isnt lost/stolen.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@ Wombling Free

"take a new one home"

Er, no. If you have ever had to take an Apple product back (and I have) you DO NOT get a new one. You get a 'refurbished' one./

Patently not true. Daughter one had an a iBook develop a fault , took it to the Apple store, they gave her a brand new replacement of a newly released model with consideraby better spec than the obe she had bought,

Daughter two had an eMac that had the dodgy capacitors. They replaced the motherbother board without nary a question. One week later that motherboard developed a fault. They replaced it with a brand new Intel iMac and transferred all the data.

3. Jeebus

Jobs was a tosser of a man, and deserves all the criticism about his personality and temper.

That aside, it's good Apple have decided to acknowledge a problem and replace it, good customer service, especially from a company that has lacked any kind of customer service for years.

Kudos where it is due.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

You feeling alright this morning?

1. Jeebus

I always call it as I see it. Always.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've always had excellent customer service from Apple over the years, that's the few times I've needed them. I wish I could say the same about about that bunch of CocNUTs at Toshiba.

3. Moof
      Megaphone

Long Time Apple User

I've been an Apple user since the Apple II and while I have never ben to an Apple store, I have been to various Apple-sanctioned stores for repairs several times over the past 30 years or so. In each case, the service from them AND from Apple has been stellar, so I think your comment about it being missing a bit off the mark. I recently bought an iPad for development purposes and have been very pleased with its operation. No overheating, no wi-fi issues that I have experienced, just a damn nice piece of kit.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This problem does not exist

It will disappear, as will the users complaining about it, customer service will ship them to Apple re-education camps and all will be well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This problem does not exist

Fingerpaint!!! Fingerpaaaaiiinnnnt!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

...the fools are just holding it wrong

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

how original and funny you aren't

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LOTS of iPad3's coming back.

A friend of a friend said the London store is currently getting more back than it's selling, and has been for the last 2 weeks.

The fake 4G claims, overheating and crap Wifi being the main reasons given.

When can we expect Apple's numbers for returned unit numbers, like they did for sold numbers? Or when can we see revised launch numbers that take off the returned units..

1. Jeebus

Re: LOTS of iPad3's coming back.

Wouldn't surprise me if they counted replacements as new sales.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What a world you live in. You're delusional

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Can we have proper nested comments and the grey lines back? I was replying to Jeebus.

Whoever thought this curly arrow BS was a good idea needs to have their head examined.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unbelievable...

Wow, Apple acknowledging a problem... and so quickly too?

Steve must be rolling in his grave...

8. min

fair enough..

..At least they're offering free replacements if not exactly saying there is something wrong with the slab officially. Nothing too wrong with that i'd say. Quite an improvement, given their past behaviour.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: fair enough..

Such as?

1. David Dawson

Re: fair enough..

Free elastic band for every purchase?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Engineering / Science

Surely, it must be possible to set up a test rig. Bring your iPad in, run a test, it fails or passes.

OK, so this is radio and there could be interference, but if you can run a comparative test with say an iPad 2 this will be better than a "feeling" that the throughout is slower.

Good to see Apple responding in this way. I think the hate is stronger than then fanobiism (new word).

10. Benchops

What they will do is

slap a directable aerial on the side and send them back to the user. Jobs a good'n.

11. Peter 48

so what

So a device maker has come across a possible problem with one of it's products and has issued what is essentially an informal recall to verify if there is a problem and rectify it? That is,by and large, common industry practice, or? How are apple any different?

12. Andy Neale
    Meh

Happened with iPad 2, but Apple loathe to admit it

I had a brand new iPad 2 in September that had an effective wireless range of about 3 feet...Apple forums are full of people having the same issue and being told by Apple Staff it was their router at fault. Took mine into Apple store and it couldn't even see the instore Apple WiFi..they changed it without any problems, but denied any knowledge of an issue. I suspect there have been some high failure rate issues since last year with the Wifi chips or something that Apple will not admit too. Bad batch or something.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If this was a 1 month old Samsung device they would pass you from crappy support to slightly less crappy support - keep you on hold - eventually agree the device may be faulty as 'yes - rebooting 8-10 times a day is not intended behaviour'. Then say it needs returning and tell you it will be in the repair shop for 2-3+ weeks and if they replace it it could be a 'refurbished' model. Nice.

Apple support is far better in this respect.

1. Peter 48

if it was only 1 month old you should have gone to the retailer and demanded they sort the situation out there and then.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doubt it and it would be irrelevant anyway (and probably illegal as you can't just go around lying to shareholders when you are the World's largest company).

"Wouldn't surprise me if they counted replacements as new sales."

... and it would make no difference anyway - like with the antenna non-issue on the '4' - I bet less than 1% returned them.

1. Peter 48

can't lie to shareholders

what like Olympus did for nearly 20 years? Being a large company doesn't make you immune to number "adjusting"

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm not a fanboi...

...I had a 2007 Macbook Pro and it had several problems. After the third one, the HD started to fail, the local Apple store just gave me a brand new machine - not a refurbished same spec one. This was in 2010 so the spec was a lot better.

Yes, Macs are more expensive, but customer service does cost. I do like the nice metal case and the high-res matte screen as well.

16. Chris D Rogers
    Thumb Up

Moral of the tale

If one lesson is to be learned, never rush to be a early adopter, as with a major OS release, always give it three or four months before making a purchase - by that time any issues are usually sorted out.

Given I want one of these for my daughter for Christmas - I'll buy a used one - hopefully I won't get a dud, but if I do, no problem - its off to the Apple store for a new replacement - Brilliant, just brilliant!!!!

17. b166er

RE: MacBook Pro. At @£1850+£280 for AppleCare, I should bloody well hope so too!

18. the-it-slayer
    Happy

How many...

...PC Worlds, Currys, Best Buys and other non-Apple shops selling non-Apple kit (tablet/laptop/desktop) will give you a straight swap if the problem can't be fixed there and then inshop? Not many as I believe. Most want you to take it to the equivalent "PC expert" service you have to pay £30/month for or send it back to somewhere across the world the to get it fixed.

You pay for Apple's CS within their product price. People forget this.

19. Andy Christ

Why do I have a strange sense of déja vu all over again?

Many of the original iPads had a terrible WiFi problems, which were sorted in a subsequent update to iOS. Don't recall whether any customers got free replacements before that though, just remember that mine connected fine there after.

Luckily for me this time, my new iPad connects in the blink of an eye over WiFi (and positively screams on LTE, here in the States).

20. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Antenna problem?

In the tradition of the iPhone, this problem was scheduled for production in the iPad 4, and to be fixed in the iPad 4S.

Apple - ahead of its time with the iPad 3.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple CEO received $178 Million compensation for 2011

Ya just have to shake your head at the insanity...

Apple CEO gets $178 M from using Chinese slave shops that produce defective goods. How outrageous.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like