back to article Ubuntu hammers out Metal-as-a-Service tool for microservers

Canonical has unveiled a Metal-as-a-Service (MaaS) offering to provision and manage high-density Ubuntu microservers running hyper-scale computing centres and clouds. The Linux shop claimed MaaS would allow administrators to set up and allocate thousands of tightly packed racks to different groups of users, adding the latest …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. PushF12
    Megaphone

What is this? SEO keyword farming?

Shuttleworth is inventing new words because Ubuntu isn't relevant to discussions (or web searches) about IaaS, PaaS, or SaaS.

Canonical should just call it "Laandscaape", like how a zombie product manager would say it.

2. Francis Irving
    Go

PushF12 - not at all!

There's a difference in performance in various ways between a virtualised EC2 image, and using an API to get the actual metal of a whole machine. Yeah, so I think this MaaS is a serviced, colocated server - with a crucial difference, you can access it using EC2-compatible APIs.

Sometimes you have to make up a new term for something that is genuinely new. Or can you point me to other places that offer the ability to get an entire machine (no virtualisation layer) using drop in compatible EC2-like APIs? And if so, what name do they use for that service?

3. K. Adams
    Alert

Canonical unveils MaaS...

So they're going after Hosaka, then? They set the slamhound loose on Turner?

[A white-hot flash in the distance... Like a tac-nuke, but the geiger's not reading any radiation. Railgun...?]

WTF was that?! Dammit, man, I need DETAILS! Jack in, burn their ice, sift the cores, and GET ME SOME DAMN INFORMATION!!!

4. Raphael
    FAIL

He needs to choose better names.

Maas is a fermented milk product. (Afrikaans name is Maas, Zulu is Amasi)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amasi

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clouds of Clouds?

Is that a storm?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like