back to article TripAdvisor chucks antitrust complaint on Google's pile

Online travel reviews outfit TripAdvisor has followed in the footsteps of Expedia by filing an antitrust complaint with the European Commission about Google. The Massachusetts, US-based company submitted its gripe to Euro regulators on Monday, a spokesman confirmed to The Register. It gave us this statement: TripAdvisor …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many more?

There isn't a continent on the planet where google isn't being investigated one way or another, in the case of Europe and the US more than once.

How my more times?

Or how many more times can they blame it on a rogue piece of code or a rogue developer.

Untrustworthy and unscrupulous - that's the google way

1. Bassey

Re: How many more?

I really don't understand your point. This piece is about Google being a monopoly. This is why Google keep being investigated. They are not doing anything illegal per se. It is simply that different rules apply to them in the same way that Microsoft cannot do things that Apple can because MS has 90% of the OS market and Apple has less than 10%.

But these rules are not black and white. The rule is that you cannot use your monopolistic position to leverage further market gains or to unfairly influence other markets. That isn't a yes/no tickbox. That is up to competition commissions to interpret the rules, argue with lawyers and come to considered opinions.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

An abuse of power is what's being investigated. Amongst other things

Buy a travel company, skew search results towards your own service. Unscrupulous and anti-competative.

It's not the first time they've done it.

Embrace, extend, extinguish... sound familiar?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

1. Embrace

2. Extend

3. Extinguish

4. Earnings (Profit)

5. Evil

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BWWAAAAA

Google is delivering better products than we are... Lets go cry to EU...

3. Khaptain Silver badge

Tripadvisor

Kettle , black , pot

Should I mention "fake reviews"

4. Trev 2

I happened to be doing some test searches today on various travel themes (mostly UK based) and Tripadvisor was doing rather well despite having pages that break several of the Google webmaster guidelines.

Not too sure it's the best time for them to be throwing such complaints at Google else they might start looking more closely at the TA "no content" type pages and tweak the algo once more to put those pages where they should be in the results. Not good when you're as big as TA.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like