ONTAP 8.1 delayed a month

This topic was created by Chris Mellor 1 .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Mellor 1

ONTAP 8.1 delayed a month

I'm hearing from a financial analyst at Piper Jaffray that NetApp has delayed ONTAP 8.1 shipments until the end of April. Checks in the Netapp channel show high demand for mid-range 3200 and low-end 2240 and demand for high-end 6200 being as expected.

Chris.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: ONTAP 8.1 delayed a month

Just out of curiosity, Chris Mellor 1, what's your stake in all this?

Personally, I've considered you a shill right from the git-go.

Care to comment?

1. Chris Mellor 1

Re: ONTAP 8.1 delayed a month

My stake in all this is finding out and saying what's happening in the storage world, something which vendors don't necessarily tell us. That's what I get paid to do. The OED defines a shill as "an accomplice to a tradesman, etc, who poses as a genuine customer to encourage trade or interest; a gambler or conman's sidekick; a decoy."

Who do you think I'm shilling for?

For de record man, I don't take money from any supplier. Some pay for me to go on press trips where they announce news. They don't had any influence on what I write.

1. jake Silver badge
          Pint

Oops! (was: Re: ONTAP 8.1 delayed a month)

Brain-fart on my part. My confusion was based on "What's his angle? I can't figure out what he's hawking ...".

I was thinking "user forums" ... it didn't click that you were the same Chris as the ElReg hack ... but it makes perfect sense that you guys use this space in the way that you are using it.

Mea culpa, my fault, and next time you're in the Bay Area I'll buy you a beer.

2. AndrewG

Haven't seen a date for 8.1 because I'm really not interested until it gets to 8.1.2 (I've been burned before) - which of course means no 2240's for me :(

What I'd really like is to see 8.0.3 because I'm getting jacked off having to use 8.0.2P6 and explain to my management why I'm using a P release in prime time (and reading the bug fix list between that and vanilla 8.0.2)

I do notice that NetApps seems to be pushing 8.1 pretty hard.

This topic is closed for new posts.