back to article Battling remote-control helicopters

If flying a remote control helicopter is no longer enough of a challenge, it’s time to move to the next level and add a little spice to the mix. The Battling Gyro helicopter allows you to do just that by including an ‘attack’ button on the remote control. Battling Helicopters That button activates an infra-red beam on your …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ol'Peculier
    Devil

5 minutes?

Not for me thanks, I'd prefer to spend (admittedly a lot) more on a Parrot AR Drone and terrorise the people in the warehouse with it :)

1. Annihilator
      Boffin

Re: 5 minutes?

Granted the AR gives you 12 minutes flight time, but a staggering 90 minutes charge time is required Suddenly 30 minutes for 5 minutes flight seems quite attractive.

Having said all that, I'd still sell a kidney for the Parrot AR Drone.

2. Marvin the Martian

Re: 5 minutes? Yes, but where?

This only works if you have a large hangar at your disposal, or live in a loft, as outside it's almost always too windy.

/mumbles about once living in a 7m high 12m x 8m mezzanined room in a converted school building, and the tech not being up to scratch then.

2. jake Silver badge

We used to do this with ...

... kites on strings in the GreatOutdoors[tm].

But we really brought 'em down & destroyed 'em. Was fun :-)

1. Richard Ball

Re: We used to do this with ...

We used to run around hitting each other with sticks. Them were the days.

Seriously though, get a proper helicopter like a Honey Bee or whatever.

NB I know the Honey Bee is now old, and it's fixed-pitch so you might debate how real it is, but it is a really good combination of light, strong, cheap and real. Learn to fly something that needs your skill instead of just bobbing about.

Get two of these in one room and they'll fight for sure.

(more fun to be had than with my old Morley Bell 47G)

1. jake Silver badge

Re: We used to do this with ...

Proper helicopter? Does my Bell 206 count? The only "room" I ever flew her in was Hanger One at Moffett Field, though ... and we were alone in the airspace at the time ;-)

My point was that teaching kids the mechanics of basic flight and other applied physics, and then allowing them to build & destroy their own creations, leads to future engineers. We need future engineers. I'm not seeing many in the pipeline ...

3. Tom7

A photo of the controls would be nice on this sort of thing.

4. Anonymous Coward 15
    Black Helicopters

Infrared?

Replace that with a frickin' laser and you've got a sale.

1. Yag

Re: Infrared?

Don't forget some shark decals!

5. annodomini2
    Thumb Down

One or 2 for that price

Given you need 2 for the battle, is that price for one or 2??

1. paulc

Re: One or 2 for that price

price is for one, but there's a £10 discount if you order two at the same time.

6. Clive Galway
    Stop

Controls? V important for a 3 channel

The controls are all important for me. I was given a 3 channel as a present and it's setup is annoying.

"Normal" layout is pitch and roll on right (like a plane), collective (height) and yaw on left.

The 3 chan I have has no roll (Which I presume is the axis cut in this one) and they moved yaw onto the right stick.

Very confusing, I have trouble getting used to it, and am not sure I want to "unlearn" the instincts I already have.

I would guess that would be a poor setup to learn to fly on also, going to a 4th axis and swapping hands is going to cause problems later on methinks.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Video?

Awwww man, I was hoping to see a video demo :(

8. Aqua Marina

Meh!

Give me a pair of turbine Airwolfs anyday :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKbFPKOvF9U&feature=related

1. P. Lee
      Mushroom

Re: Meh!

Haha! "The machine-guns do not work but the rocket launcher is operational."

Cool!

2. Citizen Kaned

Re: Meh!

airwolf V blue thunder! :)

(although i think airwolf would kick blue's arse)

9. Michael Ross

Range

80 feet range, not metres. Stop assuming every damn thing is metric.

1. Citizen Kaned

Re: Range

but the civilised world uses metric.... apart from road signs ;)

1. That Awful Puppy
        Trollface

Actually, the civilised world uses metric, full stop. It's just you lot that still do road signs in non-metric units, and the less said about the the uncouth heathens on the other side of the pond, the better.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I like our weird units better. It's really easy to work out if someone is a moron or not.

This topic is closed for new posts.