back to article Qualcomm's S4 chip set to shrink laptops further

Qualcomm is readying its own quad-core Snapdragon S4 chips for super lightweight laptops, which will go head to head with Intel's next batch of Ultrabooks due later this year. Qualcomm reckons the new S4 chips will go into laptops skinnier than than the MacBook Airs and Ultrabooks currently found on the market, IDG News …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey
    Flame

Sod the size

Can it address LCDs with more than 1080 pixels?

1. Gordon 10

Re: Sod the size

Almost certainly since 2 lines of VGA resolution amount to more than 1080 pixels.

Now can it support screens of greater than 1080p resolution is a different question.

2. James 51

Any idea of what all this grunt is going to be used for? Perhaps the phone/laptop dock is going to be pratical as a primary machine.

3. PaulR79

Naming of ARM chips

The naming always confuses me with ARM chips. The new S4 Snapdragon is a Cortex A15 CPU but new 64-bit chips are v8? Don't we already have v8 and v9? Damnit why can't they just use normal, logical numbering?

4. pear

Fine, if you want a laptop that can't run a proper version of Windows....

1. Robert E A Harvey
      Linux

Suits me.

I bet it will run xBuntu.

5. Manu T

who cares

Since 4G isn't available in large parts o/t world. Why does every jack shit corporation keep imposing it?

I want usefull features not crap.

6. Rob Beard
    Linux

Locked down boot loader?

I'd be interested IF it didn't have some sort of god awful locked down boot loader which only supported Windows 8 so I could install a supported flavour of Linux on the thing.

I'll stay hopeful that it'll be able to run Linux but I won't hold my breath. In the mean time I'm sure I can get another year or two out of my 3.5 year old Acer Aspire before I look to upgrade.

Rob

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like