back to article RIM insists it is not exiting consumer market - just 'refocusing'

RIM has reassured shop-wrecking hoodies everywhere that it is not in fact planning to exit the consumer market - after a comment during the BlackBerry-maker's earnings call was misconstrued. Pundits were widely anticipating the sharp exit of the Canadian firm from consumer smartphones, withdrawing from its fight against …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Judge
    Stop

RIM's biggest problem

All their UK userbase is still in jail from the riots.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's like one politician saying he has every faith in the ability of his colleague, a week later they are no more.

2. Fractured Cell

>not exiting consumer market - just 'refocusing'

Exactly like an army doesn't retreat, just attacks in a different direction. Preferably away from the enemy.

3. qwarty

The fate of QNX

More to the point have they publically hinted at dropping QNX yet?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wrong way round

RIM isn't abandoning consumers, consumers are abandoning RIM

5. mark jacobs
    Happy

Thank God!

I may be able to retrieve my daughter from her current BBM oblivion. The curse of opposable thumbs!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RIM insists it is not exciting consumer market

Added the extra letter.

7. Figgus

Better stop calling them hoodies!

Unless you want the libtards and NAACP booking flights to march on El Reg HQ!

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Million-Hooded-March-in-Uptown-draws-Hundreds-145014965.html

I started to put a joke alert icon, but then I realized I'm less joking and more embarrassed at the levels of stupid among my countrymen.

1. asdf
      FAIL

Re: Better stop calling them hoodies!

Funny I am embarrassed that you can shoot and kill a fellow unarmed citizen in the street in the US and not even get arrested if your dad is a former judge.

1. Figgus

Really? When did I do that?

In all honesty, the facts in this case are still coming out and (as usual) people have a penchant for overreacting. The fact that this is just one giant race card being slapped down on the table is also not helping anyone.

If the races had been reversed, this never would have made national news (let alone local news) and there certainly wouldn't be marches in the street.

Same-race homicides are an order of magnitude more common in this country, and black on white homicide is consistently higher than white on black (Zimmerman is hispanic, by the way). See the bottom chart:

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/race.cfm

Where are all the marches for that stuff?

It's a sad state of affairs when some bastards are using this kids death as a means to further their own ends or to line their own pockets... (Jesse Jackson, I'm looking at YOU!)

2. asdf
        FAIL

I agree the race thing is just a huge distraction but the real issue is once again another red state law based purely in ideology has caused unintended consequences. There is a reason every major law enforcement organization in the country is against this retarded stand your ground law.

3. mark jacobs
        FAIL

Better stop selling guns down at the local Walmart, then...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, business as usual then...

After all the hype and comment it sounds like nothing then has changed down at RIM?

A compelling consumer offering - how long have we been waiting for that? I just don't see what RIM have to offer to non corporates.

9. Krissie
    Alert

Programming and apps

Part of the problem is that apps have to radically re-written for each model of phone and OS upgrade. If they had some damned consistency about it, then maybe people would write apps for the Blackberry instead of just Apple and Android, and then it could actually compete.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like