back to article Linux 'internet of things' gizmo ships

Ninja Blocks has begun shipping its eponymous Linux gadget designed to interact with sensors and automate your world. The team behind the device began taking advance orders this week, and the first Ninja Blocks and sensor packs started shipping from home nation Australia this morning to folk who backed the endeavour on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. spencer

Too expensive.

Rasberry pi can be retrofitted with this stuff and probably cased in rubber for half the price.

Why is this so expensive???

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Too expensive.

Profit - and cloudy infrastructure...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

and it's not vapourware... probably.

2. benjymous

They have said they plan to look into supporting the Pi as a hardware platform.

They're currently based off the beaglebone, which costs ~£60, so basically you're paying £60 for the beaglebone, plus £40 for their custom hardware interface board, the 3d printed case, and access to their cloud server

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

£40 for the interface hardware and casing sounds about right, especially as it's a rapid-prototyped case and very low volume interface PCB.

You can pay over £20 for low volume bare PCBs in that kind of size, so it's not exactly extortionate.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why is this so expensive???

... perhaps they had to pay for CE approval!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>Why is this so expensive???

QA?

[Ducks]

2. jake Silver badge

I've been using BSD to run little bits and bobs ...

... for over thirty years. Does that count?

Probably not ... greenhouse and barn plcs aren't "cute".

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Hayden Clark Silver badge

Hardware is too expensive

You need something based on this:

TP-Link WR703N

Non-chinese Linux firmware available from here OpenWrt

I suspect there's only a small amount of effort required to bring out the GPIOs to do the interfacing required. And that has a wireless adaptor in it too!

5. elsonroa

Not really from Australia...

This can't be an Australian project unless they're bending the Kickstarter rules a bit. From the Kickstarter T's and C's, you need to be based in the US and supply a US social security number to register a project.

6. M Gale

Naw.

Now if it was managed by your own private server, that'd be more interesting.

Still, at least it isn't made or sponsored by "your property is my property and you can't sell it" Braben.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yay

Another finish it yourself product from the world of Linux. Although this will be cool for geeks for 10 minutes like the sharp Zaurus was it will never be a successful product. For success I'm afraid you have to do the work, finish the product and then ship it. For examples, look at companies like Apple or Sony who literally do polish off their products before selling them.

1. Richard Plinston

Re: Yay

You probably don't know where the kitchen is in your house, nor why anyone would want one.

8. Jeff 11
    Thumb Down

I don't see why Raspberry Pi-grade devices need 'the Cloud' to co-ordinate their functions. Surely a mesh network with SNMP is all that's required... but I suppose then Ninja Blocks couldn't lock you in and harvest and sell your appliance data to marketeers, could they?

1. Christian Berger

Actually

First of all I agree on that processing the data in the cloud is a bad idea.

However the problem lies within stupid customers. They just aren't able to access their data via some sane way. They can't point their browsers to an IP address or an mDNS hostname. And even if they could, many of them don't have IPv6 yet, so they will not be able to access it from their mobile phones.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like