back to article Apple New iPad 3 Wi-Fi + 4G

Let's face the elephant in the room first. The 'New iPad Wi-Fi + 4G' as Apple calls it - I'll use iPad 3 - may be branded 4G but that's eff-all value to us Brits. The tablet's cellular radio doesn't work with the frequencies being proposed for UK 4G communications. Apple New iPad Wi-Fi + 4G Apple New iPad Wi-Fi + 4G But …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jonathan White

'Especially since the new model delivers not a jot more peformance than the old one.'

From your geekbench screenshots, it seems to me it does provide about a jot more's performance. Not much more than that though...

(From the OED

Jot - noun

[usually with negative]

a very small amount:)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

jot

The review says the new one is 'not a jot more'. It should have said something more like "a jot less", because the benchmark is lower.

image shows that the '3 is 27 milligeeks LESS benchy than the '2 was.

so if those 27 milligeeks did equal one jot... then the benchyness of the '2 was 27.11 jots.

1 geek would be equal to 37.037 jots.

2. Piloti
    Thumb Down

""First, there are no commercial 4G services in the UK""

.... or anywhere else for that matter.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I always wondered where Herbie lives

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Stop

That's not Herbie

It's one of those horrible Millennium Bugs in disguise.

There's a classic VW Beetle painted as Herbie near me. I know this because the little bastard nearly ran me over one day while I was walking home from work.

1. Miffo

Re: That's not Herbie

Was there anyone in it at the time?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Preparing for shipment delivers 3 April.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Lovely screen

I got the old man one for his birthday, and the screen bezel was popping out, wouldn't pop back in, which created a springy, not well put together feeling.

Also the screen had a slight yellowy hue when the brightness wasn't up high. Or at least it seemed that way. Either way, not what you pay a premium for.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Re: Lovely screen

How do you know that it wasn't damaged in transit?

As for the yellow-ness, there were streaks on the iPhone 4 at first, it was the glue setting. They had shipped so fast from the factory that it hadn't had time to cure fully.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It could well have been, and I have purchased numerous Apple devices with assembly or design defects in the past though.

@Dave 126, it seems to vary with brightness. I haven't heard anywhere that

@AC And as for returning it, I am going to do exactly that on my father's behalf. When I had a defect on my iMac - I dragged it in to an apple store, then was told to take it to the store I bought it from, then had no machine for a week.!

It is a fine device - but a bit of a shame to have any issues. I have a Viewsonic Viewpad and that seems relatively well put together.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"the screen bezel was popping out, wouldn't pop back in"

Return it. No manufacturer has zero defects. The guys in the apple store are usually very helpful (not on the release day though, too much going on on that day).

3. Dave 126 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

"slight yellowy hue when the brightness wasn't up high"

Genuinely, I've just recently installed software to do that very thing for Windows. Seriously. It's to do with 'colour temperate'- more towards the blue when brighter (sunlight) and towards the yellow during the evening when you have dimmer, warmer (incandescent-like) lighting. So the 'white' on your monitor more closely resembles an adjacent sheet of white paper.

It's called F.lux, and stops the Chrome White Flash from stinging my eyes, whilst browsing iPlayer.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Question not answered in the review...

If the author didn't own any tablet, would he spend the £79 more on the iPad 3 or just get an iPad 2... he's tried both and should have a view on that... we can tell he prefers a WiFi only version (with the use of an external 3G card - it has the added advantage of tricking the iPAD into thinking it's on WiFi and hence you can use FaceTime)

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Question not answered in the review...

I'd pay the £79 for the better screen, yes.

2. Andy Christ

Then please allow me...

Whether the higher resolution display alone on the new iPad is worth the extra cost is kinda subjective... That said, I myself would definitely recommend the new model for that improvement alone. For one thing, sadly, not all apps (and fewer websites) display text at a proper size to avoid the jaggies on the previous two generations, which can make reading tortuous on those devices in the instances where there is no option to increase the font size. But the new model is so sharp that even the smallest text is quite legible, even to my tired eyes. Both still and video images take on a whole new quality as well, the detail and color saturation really does match that of a glossy magazine. Prior to this launch, one would have had to pay thousands (of dollars or pounds) simply for a display of this caliber alone. And here in the States, where we actually can connect to LTE networks and get speeds at par with commercial broadband (at obscene rates though), the difference between 3 and 4G is like night and day. Over all, delighted with my purchase; will fob off my first generation fondleslab on someone I really hate.

1. David Haworth

Re: Then please allow me...

"will fob off my first generation fondleslab on someone I really hate."

crikey, send it to me, I'm not so proud I wouldn't accept one! :)

7. Andrew Stubbs
    Meh

No mention of the increased difficulties in charging the thing over the iPad 2? That seems to be a bit of a bugbear. And my personal gripe: how fragile the dock connector feels; this really could benefit from a magnetic connector now, or at least curly kettle-type lead which would be a bit more forgiving than the one supplied. The screen is nice (read: gorgeous), but I can't help feeling the nagging doubt I maybe should have held off until the next one, when I hope these issues would be resolved (I seem to skip every other upgrade)

8. imaginarynumber
    Thumb Down

4g scam

Kudos for mentioning the 4G issue in the opening statement.

Personally I think that Apple's use of the 4G moniker is likely to backfire. Apple are aware that the 4G unit will ONLY work on Verizon in the USA and a few networks in Canada (even then, I believe that you have to use one of their SIMs, ie not via roaming). It will not work on any of the existing (or proposed) 4G networks in Europe or the rest of the world. Never-the-less they use 4G as a must have sales feature whilst obscuring the truth.

When I last looked, the only UK telco with a degree of probity was Vodafone, they don't use the 4G moniker on their iPad page. I guess they decided that the margins weren't sufficient to handle the volume of callers complaining that they can't connect to any 4G networks. Like apple, the others say "4G LTE coverage is not available in all areas and varies by carrier"- FFS- why not just list the ones it will work on, ie., not yours

Any other firm would get a right royal kicking by the press if they did the same thing. Perhaps that is why NO other maker is marketing 4G devices in the UK.

Mind you it looks as though the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission are going to fine Apple for misleading customers. Time for Trading Standards to step up to the plate..

1. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Re: 4g scam

"Personally I think that Apple's use of the 4G moniker is likely to backfire. Apple are aware that the 4G unit will ONLY work on Verizon in the USA and a few networks in Canada (even then, I believe that you have to use one of their SIMs, ie not via roaming)."

It'll work with AT&T's flavour of LTE too. In fact, the US is (unusually) ahead of much of the rest of the world with LTE rollout. You cannot blame Apple for that. LTE has been such a cock-up, it's unlikely to ever be much cop for roaming until someone designs a fully tuneable LTE + GSM + 2G transceiver chip suitable for mobile devices. I don't expect anything like that appearing before the iPad 4, and even that is pushing it.

Nevertheless, the new iPad does have built-in LTE support where available. Apple aren't responsible for the EU's sluggish adoption of LTE, nor for the fact that 4G is currently only available in North America and parts of the Middle East. (I've heard reliable reports that Dubai has adopted the same LTE frequencies as the US carriers, so yes, the new iPad's LTE features do work there as well.)

LTE is generally accepted as a "4G" technology worldwide. (Note that there is no standard for what "4G" actually means. It used to refer to systems capable of higher speeds than current LTE installations, but this requirement has long since been dropped.)

1. Arctic fox
        Headmaster

Re: 4g scam

"Apple aren't responsible for the EU's sluggish adoption of LTE, nor for the fact that 4G is currently only available in North America and parts of the Middle East. (I've heard reliable reports that Dubai has adopted the same LTE frequencies as the US carriers, so yes, the new iPad's LTE features do work there as well.)"

No, they are not responsible for the fact that it is only available in the US and a small degree of availability in Canada. As to whether or not Dubai has LTE now I have not a clue. This however in practice means that in about every market of any size all over the face of the planet outside the US the iPad3 cannot be used as advertised - end of. It is therefore misleading of Apple to advertise the iPad3 in that way outside the North American market. I should also point out that there are very few areas on earth that are going to roll out LTE based on the same frequencies as the US use. IE The iPad3 will never deliver as advertised for the vast majority of Apple's customers outside the US.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Think of the New iPad 4G as Apple laughing as hard as it can all the way to the bank with fools gold, and get on with your life. Its a tablet, and you only want one to buy yourself some supposed status. It still runs iOS which now looks as poorly designed as a leapfrog toy, but at least its fool proof, just as well for those fools who (chortle) PAID for one (rofpmsl).

Composed on my Transformer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wow your really trying hard to justify getting that Transformer.

10. Ben Cockburn

New iPad icon upscaling

The iPhone 3GS had icons with dimensions 57x57 pixels and the iPhone 4 doubled that to 114x114. iPad 2 to New iPad started with 72x72 and went to 144x144, so although the pixel ratio remains the same and the upscaling requirements seem the same, the iPad 2 icons already had 60% more image detail to spread, giving a less noticeable upscale. Also, I think it was the iPhone 4 iOS release developers have been able to use higher than natural resolution image for their icons, which the iProduct then automatically downscaled to the appropriate size, whereas iPhone 3GS and earlier you had to produce a 57x57 jpg to get it to display, so the images used for the iPad 2 icons may already have contained more detail than you expect.

11. Silverburn
    Happy

Upscaling 1080p?

Wasn't quite expecting to be able to say this phrase as early as 2012...and by a tablet of all things.

Progress FTW!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

flash in the pan?

I dislike Flash, know it is replaceable with HTML 5 etc but would NOT spend my own cash on a high end device that cannot do a bit of backward compatibility for the occasional sites that need Flash.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: flash in the pan?

I turned off Flash on my old Windows tablet, to see if I could cope without for a month. I could, so bought an iPad 1. I do still miss Flash. But not often. Probably less than twice a month do I have to email a site to myself, to remind me to check it on the desktop. I'm willing to put up with that, though I'd prefer Apple to allow Flash, but I know they won't.

I guess it entirely depends on what sites you frequent. Perhaps a test, by installing FlashBlock, and seeing how many times you have to click on those little icons?

Someone with an Android tablet can hopefully tell us how well Flash works on ICS. I've read suggestions that it's a bit flakey on Android, but I've no real info.

The lack of a proper file system is the most annoying weakness of iOS for me. And the £160 for 48GB of extra storage - Apple flash chips must be hewn from solid gold... By the purest maidens... Riding unicorns...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Composed on my Transformer."

Sad wannabe.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Whether the higher resolution display alone on the new iPad is worth the extra cost is kinda subjective..."

What extra cost - this is what I don't get - the new iPad is the same price as the one it replaced - it's just that they decided to drop the price of the previous model (which is still a great tablet).

So in reality compared to a month ago you are getting a significantly upgraded tablet for the same price. To look at it another way - would I pay £70 extra today for the better screen, HSPA+ and better camera - short answer 'for me - yes' - but I know people who were about to buy an iPad 2 - still love the screen and are happy to be saving about 20%.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"No mention of the increased difficulties in charging the thing over the iPad 2? That seems to be a bit of a bugbear."

Mine charges just fine when connected to my macbook or via the AC adapter - perhaps takes bit longer as the battery is significantly larger but what did you expect?

1. Wyrdness

Mine charges fine when connected to my iMac, but won't charge from my work HP workstation's usb ports as they don't provide enough power.

2. Andrew Stubbs
      Pint

Well, I was expecting the power issue and I wasn't complaining about it - I was just saying it was odd it didn't even get a mention given that it seems to get a regular airing elsewhere. I could have wittered on about how people seem to want a 20W PSU with the thing instead of a 10W one and how some USB ports seem to provide just enough power to trickle charge the thing, and others don't. But I didn't, because it's boring. My point about the dock connector is a genuine gripe though - I just know it's going to get damaged sometime by leaving it plugged in and picking it up, or something dumb like that. By the way, try replying to a post instead of creating a new one - makes it easier to spot.

Beer because my local opens in 90 minutes.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good review, remained objective. I haven't seen a lot of coverage about the '4G' capabilities in the UK. Also, your benchmark results seem to indicate the iPad 2 outperforms the new iPad but I didn't see any mention of this in the review.

I went and bought a 2nd-hand iPad 2 once the new one was released, far better value for money for almost the same feature set (I didn't buy 3G and the screen is not worth the extra ££ for now).

17. davefb
    FAIL

Speedtest

Yeah, really amazing.. So compare with my htc hero on 3 which just got 112ms , 4029down, 1628 up... (2nd was 118/4683/1504)..

So, not too impressed by that( I know its the networks),, mind you I wasn't going to bother with the "phone" version, just stick with the wifi...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Speedtest, iPad IS SLOW

LOL, I just got 99ms 8166kbps 1424kbps on my Atrix on T-Mobile UK.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Yeah, really amazing.. So compare with my htc hero on 3 which just got 112ms , 4029down, 1628 up... (2nd was 118/4683/1504)"

Which means precisely nothing - so the iPad has HSPA+ (which can do 20Mbit/s+) - but can't use all that speed until the networks roll it out. In terms of comparing devices - again it means nothing as it depends on your location / coverage / signal strength as well as how busy the cell is - you are comparing apples with oranges.

1. Wize

But...

What if you have an Apple on Orange?

19. HP Cynic

4G is a nonsense anyway - no 4G systems out there come close to the agreed standards for 4G speeds.

I am hoping they realise how stupid their new naming convention is when they have to call the next one the Newer iPad or New iPad 2. Please let's not have iPad 2013.

Then they can stop being silly and call the next one iPad 4. Who knows it might actually have true 4G by then.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As there is no 4G 'standard' you can call it whatever you like - HSPA+ is fast enough to be a 4th generation - I've had enough of 3.5G, 3.75G - what next 3.85G then 3.999G ?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If people buy enough iPads perhaps it will be sufficient to force the networks to put their LTE networks on it's frequencies <lol>

22. the-it-slayer
    Pint

iPad will always be king...

...because Apple understand the market place. If this was an Android/Windows/Blackberry tablet with 4G capability, they'd be rings of praise from the androids (I like to class all non-Apple users in that category) that don't understand this machine is still the same price as last years model with better stuff. The retina screen itself pushes ahead of the competition, same battery life regardless of the extra power needed for the screen/4G, same experience. 4G hot-air? Again, it's future proof for another few years at least :).

To fit all that kit into a device that doesn't require a price increase is a huge feat. My only gripe is no increase in memory because of the extra demands for HD content, but maybe the iCloud should be taking charge for any extra storage needed.

Anyway, the clock is ticking already for the new iPad. I'm sure we can fit plenty of beers in before then when the whole next Apple-gate thing crops up after release for fandroids to cling on to.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iPad will always be king...

Fanboi alert

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"LOL, I just got 99ms 8166kbps 1424kbps on my Atrix on T-Mobile UK."

WHO CARES - unless you were the only guy on the cell, you were testing with an iPad at the same time in the same place etc.

I just tested my iPad - it got 7.54mbps down and 3.85mbps up and a 49ms ping - but so what - I can't go saying how super fast my iPad is as I'm fairly sure if I bothered to plug in my USB dongle that also does HSPA+ it would get around the same.

It's down to the networks / capacity / location / signal strength / how busy the cell is etc. The truth is the iPad 3 is capable of over 20mbps but that is if the networks have their kit set to allow that speed and if your signal is good enough.

Incidentally the speed I get from HSPA+ is significantly faster than the ADSL connection we get at work - it manages more like 4mbps down and less than 1mbps up - so I'm not complaining about the speed I get from a 'mobile' network.

If BT and the other 'cabled' companies do not watch out they could get overtaken - sure 'long term' a cabled solution will have the potential for more capacity but if they could roll out HSPA+ and most people were getting 10mbps+ it would be faster than many current ADSL connections.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well I'd hope they would improve being part of EE now - but when I was on Orange they certainly stuck to the 3G specification - i.e. about 200kbps was all I got in the main locations I use it at (home and work). Now I have both Vodafone and Three - Vodafone has by far the best voice coverage (AFAIC) and both Vodafone and Three have good 3G coverage.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like