back to article NASA's Dawn probe spies 'Snowman' on asteroid queen Vesta

Excited NASA boffins have released new and intimate snaps of Vesta, giant queen of the asteroid belt, obtained by the radical ion-engined deep space probecraft Dawn. 3-D anaglyph shows the ‘Snowman’ craters on asteroid Vesta. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/UCLA/MPS/DLR/IDA Behold the abominable snowman of the Asteroid Belt. Dawn …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jai

east bound and down

woohoo Jerry Reed!! oh wait, wrong Snowman....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Phineas & Ferb

We all know what this is about; before writing their names on a passing comet they had to test their laser on something...

1. Tom 35

No Calvin and Hobbes

Even if that snowman is not up to their usual standard.

3. Bill Neal
    Facepalm

remember the face on mars

how long until some tinfoil-hat-user to claim this as a sign of intelligent snowman shaped aliens that died out or left long ago?

1. Captain Hogwash
      Alien

Re: remember the face on mars

They are benevolent snowmen calling us on to the next phase of our evolution.

2. NomNomNom

Re: remember the face on mars

hmm it is very interesting that you try to push a "they died out or left long ago" narrative. Why don't you want us to consider they walk among us? Who are you working for? the CIA? MI5? The aliens that built the monument?

4. Swarthy
    WTF?

Is it just me or

Does that picture look like old (blue/red) 3D? hazy outlines, blue and red colors fairly consistently separated....

1. CaptainHook

Re: Is it just me or

No, I thought that as well, it looks like it should be a stereoscopic image

1. NomNomNom

Re: Is it just me or

Interesting. I am just thinking it would take an immense level of technology to produce a stereoscopic image on that scale.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's because it IS a 3-d image.

Look for the word "anaglyph" in the hover text.

1. Anonymous Cowerd
        Go

Re: That's because it IS a 3-d image.

Just put on the 3d specs - it's a pretty good one once your eyes adjust; the craters are quite deep.

5. arrbee
    Boffin

Aha !

So now we know - global warming is in fact a worldwide inter-governmental initiative to ward off the attentions of fiendish interplanetary snowmen.

Its amazing how obvious these things are once they're pointed out.

6. Anonymous John

They can't call it that!

The Snowman is on the Moon as any fule know. Apollo 12 mission.

7. pdcpdcpdc

Never mind the snowman...

...what about the face?! (Middle crater, right side, looks hell of a lot like the Pilot in Farscape)

1. Marcelo Rodrigues
      Angel

Re: Never mind the snowman...

What are You smoking? I want some!

Yes, after 45 seconds I could see him too.

Oh, noes! Am I smoking without knowing?

8. Toastan Buttar
    Angel

My god, it's full of

...boil-in-the-bag curry.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like