back to article French data watchdog bends Google over for rigorous frisking

This month Google - in the face of widespread criticism in Europe - implemented changes to its privacy policy even though French info watchdog CNIL declared that the tweak would violate the EU's data protection law. Now CNIL has written to Mountain View demanding answers to 69 questions that it hopes will clarify "the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Lilburne
    Mushroom

On Your Marks, Get Set, GO

Google shills are off. Explaining why there is no foul.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: On Your Marks, Get Set, GO

...@ tumbleweed

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: On Your Marks, Get Set, GO

No. That bunch of clowns only post if they can manage to slag off apple at the same time. It's a measure of how weak their point is.

2. Jeebus

Here's hoping Google get a right royal pasting. They absolutely deserve it for the sheer contempt they have for their users.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

contempt for their users

Actually, it is pretty simple - if you don't like their terms, use a different service.

The changes to the privacy terms are primarily for authenticated users, not for anonymous users getting served up ads. Giving up privacy to use those services is the "cost" of using the services. If you don't intend to pay the cost, don't use the service. There are plenty of alternatives, whether better or not is immaterial. I'm not using google buzz, gmail, or anything like that, and I'm happy with my decision.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: contempt for their users

Contempt for users settings

So Google make a false form that tricks Safari into believing the user has initiated and action (click - mouse down) so that google can place a cookie that a user doesn't want...

You don't have to be logged into Google for that to happen. It was deliberate, not accidental. It's hostile code.

Some of it is Apples fault (they could have fixed the vulnerability, but Google shouldn't have done it.

3. heyrick Silver badge

Too damn late...

The day it happened, the day it was possible to tie all these loose ends into one user profile instead of disparate ones... that's what was wanted. To back down now (not that they would) would not undo this action.

4. Caltharian

You have to admit, this would have all carried alot more weight if it had come from any other country than france, with the way france has been trolling the last few years

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
      Black Helicopters

Explain

France has been trolling?

Is this anything to do with the populace having selected a politician who didn't let George Bush stick his hand up their collective bottom?

1. Caltharian

Re: Explain

Its for the fact that france has been anti-anythingnotfrench for the last 20 years atleast.

It doesnt matter if google is 100% innocent or as guilty as sin.

At the current moment france has lost all credibility and any investigation should be done by either another country or by the EU as a whole.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trolling what exactly?

Google has been fined previously for privacy abuses and is still under investigation the world over for it's sharp practice and disrespect for local and international law.

Hopefully Oracle the FTC and the EU will flatten them

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

you missed a trick

Two double entendres is not bad, but I would have made it a threesome by phrasing the title as something like 'French Letter demands Google bend over ....'

Paris, for the obvious reasons.

7. David 164

Do I support

The French and EU bureaucrats, who last time I check provide me with nothing an yet probably cost me a bob or two in taxes. An it was those bureaucrats that original gave Google the a ok of these reforms.

or Google who provide me with free email, free videos, free search engines, free multi party video conference tool, a free blogging platform at point of use, and even a small income from letting advertisers advertise on my website.

What a tough decision, not, Google all the way. If you do not like there terms conditions then leave and do not use there services.

I agree with the above poster, this would carry a lot more weight if it was not France carrying out the review, France have wage a multi year long legal and even political campaign against Google.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

France aren't leading the investigation because they hate Google, they're investigating Google because it's likely that Google has broken the the law again and not abided by previous agreements. What about all the other countries that are investigating Google? Don't make me get the links

Google deliberately ignored browser settings as a previous commenter mentioned

Free? You're owned.That's what EU bureaucrats are trying to save you from.

Next you'll be saying that Google supports Net Neutrality when they caved in on that years ago

2. heyrick Silver badge
      FAIL

@ David 164

There there. No need to sound like an ardent supporter of BNP rhetoric. Instead, I'll just ask if you've ever heard the name "Amanda Redding". If so, do you know for who she works? How about the organisation looking to fight down ACTA if necessary.

There's more to the EU than straight cucumbers, you know. But don't let facts get in the way of your dribbling.

As for France, maybe they aren't quite so willing to let their citizens bend over and take it like the British? But then when has the British government cared that much about its citizens? Your basic state pension is a joke and everybody knows it, and they also know that England pretty much has the most surveillance cameras in public places than anywhere else, yet crime remains a problem? Fat lot of good it did in the riots...

You want to insult France, go ahead. But do it once you've got your own shit in order.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

more to come

I cancelled Google accounts, took serious effort to block identifiable Google services any device i use regularly.

My data is still being pulled, the telco is refusing to honour their own terms of service stating that changes to the terms (this is a defacto change) provide for charge free cancellation.

It's going to end up in court challenged under DPA and WTA. I feel sorry for the telco, they've given the best deal, a nice handset and sterling service (attempt to cancel not withstanding).

Working in the industry and at times with telcos and manufacturers this could cost me my professional reputation.

But, I will not stand idly by.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No mention of Android, surely the biggest concern with clauses like

"We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches."

"details of how you used our service, such as your search queries.

telephony log information like your phone number, calling-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls, duration of calls, SMS routing information and types of calls.

Internet protocol address."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like