back to article Assange bids for Senate seat

WikiLeaks has taken the natural next step in its evolution as a force of continuous disclosure by announcing it wants to challenge for a seat in the Australian Senate. The organisation announced on Saturday that founder and chief Leaker Julian Assange will run for a seat in the Australian Senate, although the details of which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn..

Assange is a bit behind the times. 'twas quite a while back the AU was a UK penal colony..

I see that the "evil US" claim has yet again been trudged out, and -naturally- not a single word about the fact that the Swedish matter is 100% of Assange's own doing, proven by paperwork that leaked (ah, the irony).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

though it

Still was w penal colony, that's why so many of them escape back here to the UK

2. Scorchio!!
      Thumb Up

Re: Yawn..

"Assange is a bit behind the times. 'twas quite a while back the AU was a UK penal colony.."

Indeed, and I think you'll find that like the UK Australia has legislation on the matter of criminals serving their country in the legislature. I believe our legislation bars criminals who've served for longer than X period of time [where X is currently not available to my memory, but is longer than 12 months, possibly 18]. OTOH, since St Jules is already a convicted criminal whose offences include at least one count against his own state (breaking and entering police computers in order to monitor the progress of an investigation into his activities, which included 1) stealing passwords from US Air force 7th Command Group in the Pentagon; 2) for hacking computers at two universities; 3) hacking computers at two telecommunications companies, I find myself wondering if the severity of his offences will disqualify him, not least because he's in the middle of a substantial controversy about information theft that eclipses his then offences.

If this man can stand for office then perhaps we have to reconsider the status of such convicted criminals as Elliot Morley. I think not.

1. Drew V.

He was also convicted in 1994, when he pled guilty to 25 charges of hacking.

But if he can't run for office, surely they can follow the Swedish Pirate Party's example: start your own party, act as its president while letting other members be elected to the legislature.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
          Boffin

@ Drew... Re: Yawn..

That would actually be a viable alternative, however...

Based on what happened to Wikileaks... I think that such a party would implode along with the simple fact that Assange is the puppet, not the puppet master. Based on what we know in the public, its safe to say he wants the spotlight all to himself. Those who control power, don't like to be in the spotlight.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The old joke where you answer : "I did not think that this was still required" to the question of "Do you have a criminal record" at a Australian visa interview.

That's out of date - they do it all electronically now :)

4. sean the prawn

The man at the centre of on ongoing war against the secretive machinations of rapacious, murderous global power runs for political office - and the best you've got is "yawn"?

Oh, and the joke about Australia's past as a penal colony was priceless... oh, the irony... Ever heard of a place called Guantanamo Bay? Fortunately you can read all the latest in modern day penal colony shennanigans - courtesy of Wikileaks of course.

Assange's conviction and courage - of speaking truth to power, regardless of personal consequences is exactly what we need in our parliaments. I wish there were more like him... but I believe this is just the beginning. Since this movement started, I've become much more optimistic about our future prospects as a free and open society... despite the current predictable apathy of the willfully ignorant.

Still very early yet. Watch this space and switch on.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It would make me vote

If I was eligible it would convince me to go and vote ... for anybody who opposed him

3. Big Al
    Megaphone

Speak up man!

And of course, a Senate position would allow St Julian to preach on any issue of his choice, and pronounce on those organisations, individuals or governments he dislikes for whatever reason, whilst protected by Parliamentary immunity from being either prosecuted or from having to provide actual evidence to back up his statements....

Coincidence? I think not.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      Devil

Re: Speak up man!

There is some irony to this.

It would give him legitimate access to some secrets that by law he would be required to hold... Well secret. If not secret, then confidential information... Oh wait... Assange believes in only the information he doesn't want to be kept secret shouldn't be kept secret. Any information about himself or what he claims to be owned by him should be kept secret...

I would have to say that this ploy is more for his defense against being extradited to the US than for taking a serious run. This way he could claim that his extradition is politically motivated and not for the participation in an espionage crime against an Australian Ally.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'd possibly vote for him

Sorry, but that's how Tony Blair got in in the UK (it cannot have been on any sane consideration, especially not twice). Singularly dangerous argument - I would not trust either to take their aura near anything important..

1. Scorchio!!
        Thumb Up

Re: I'd possibly vote for him

"Sorry, but that's how Tony Blair got in in the UK (it cannot have been on any sane consideration, especially not twice). Singularly dangerous argument - I would not trust either to take their aura near anything important.."

I am mortified to tell you that Bliar won 3 elections and thus three terms as PM, although his last tenure was shortened by the palace coup. What a pity they did not have the guts to give him a similar end to Julius Caesar. When I think of Blair I think of Mussolini it being that Bliar took us to war more times than any PM in our country's history, that he and that odious creature to whom he is married have made a fortune out of their fame and must surely qualify as being similar to Il Duce and his wife. How on earth these creatures have remained untouched by the criminal justice system is to me incredible, whether or not her weeping for the public helped make her seem innocent, or so she thought: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/CHERIE%27S+CRYING+GAME%3f%3a+MRS+BLAIR%27S+SOB+STORY%3b+HOW+THE+PREMIER%27S...-a095184948

5. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Happy

Of course

If he wins, every single email that comes into his possession will be released to the general public. Right?

I mean, we all know how up front politicians are, don't we. :)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd vote for him

Just for the lulz.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Senator Assange?

Self-important, sanctimonious, self-serving, promiscuous, hmmm...

he'll be perfect.

8. Ian Michael Gumby
    Paris Hilton

"Incarceration concerns aside, Wikileaks claim that he can still run for the Australian senate while detained. But WikiLeaks says despite his legal predicament, Assange is eligible to run for the Upper House"

_=_

So a convicted felon can run for office?

Yes, Assange is a convicted felon from his days as a hacker back in Australia.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Pirate

RE: IMG

Sadly, I'm not sure being a criminal would bar A$$nut from running for the Australian Senate, and it would only take the usual "we are the 99%, I will be your voice, etc, etc" fluff being pumped into the rebellious/vacuous brains of the "yoof", and A$$nut could set himself up in office. After all, there are precedents where awful protest votes, thought doomed to failure, ended up with even nastier pieces of work winning. For example, in Northern Ireland the IRA sympathisers elected imprisoned terrorist Bobby Sands to Westminster.

I reckon A$$nut's lawyers will carry on dragging out any Swedish courtcase in the hope he can get elected before a trial concludes. Do Aussie Senators get diplomatic immunity?

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Devil

Re: RE: IMG

@Matt,

1) I think that's the big question. Does a felony conviction preclude him from office? In the US there was a Mayor of DC that was convicted on a drug charge yet he was able to run again for Mayor. But being a mayor isn't the same as a Senate seat.

2) I also think that if he were to run, a lot more details about his life will also come out. Things that I don't think he will want the public to know.

Politics is an ugly sport.

Not just in the US, but around the world.

1. Scorchio!!
          Thumb Up

Re: RE: IMG

"Politics is an ugly sport.

Not just in the US, but around the world."

I think it would be good to see him run and fail. Meanwhile St Jules would be scratched and poked in every orifice. Every foul deed would come to light. He would be seen for the fake that he is. Bloody criminal.

2. PatientOne

@Ian

"2) I also think that if he were to run, a lot more details about his life will also come out. Things that I don't think he will want the public to know."

You know, it's almost worth it to hope he succeeds. I'd even buy the popcorn.

But even I'm not that stupid.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Spent convictions rules

I think Assange was convicted of hacking more than ten years ago now.

See http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/spent-convictions-scheme.aspx

"Spent Conviction Scheme

Convictions covered

The scheme applies to spent convictions where a waiting period has passed and the individual in question has not re-offended.

The following conditions apply to convictions for a Commonwealth, Territory, State or foreign offence:

* it has been 10 years from the date of the conviction (or 5 years for juvenile offenders)

* the individual was not sentenced to imprisonment for more than 30 months

* the individual has not re-offended during the 10 year (5 years for juvenile offenders) waiting period

* a statutory or regulatory exclusion does not apply

The scheme also covers convictions that have been set aside or pardoned under Part VIIC of the Crimes Act 1914. An individual whose conviction is protected does not have to disclose the conviction to any person, including a Commonwealth authority."

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The thing is...

That if I were to email my MP for support with a problem, I'd want the communication to be between me and him, I certainly wouldn't want to think that he may publish it on the Internet on a whim.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He thinks quite highly of himself

The media will crucify this fool for his past actions.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: He thinks quite highly of himself

When I heard about Assange's decision to run that the thought didn't even entire my mind.

The media will scrape through his records for anything they believe is new worthy.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Assange is narcissistic

Until he resolves the charges in Sweden I don't think he's going anywhere, especially the Australian Senate. I suspect that Australia would extradite him to Sweden in a heartbeat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Assange is narcissistic

And on that point I have to agree. It is a wonder if they would force him to resign or impeachment him for his acts outside of the upper House.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only if he can buy a seat

Assange could never get elected. The only way he could get a seat is to buy one.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Only if he can buy a seat

Well, with the proceeds of his book that ought to be easy. :-) :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like