back to article London Mayor Boris grilled on Virgin's Underground penetration

Virgin Media's London Underground wireless monopoly will last five years, but that's all right 'cos it didn't cost Transport for London a penny and other companies were allowed to bid. Responding to questions from Mayorwatch, TfL explained that Virgin Media is paying to provide public Wi-Fi over infrastructure that was being …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ryan 7

So how much extra heat is being introduced into the system by WiFi antennas?

Every little helps!

2. dotdavid
    Unhappy

Public information channels

"Virgin will be allowed to make use of "public information channels" to publicise its service"

Oh, great. I can just hear the tannoy announcements now.

"There is a good service operating on all London Underground lines. Why not check whether this is actually true by visiting www.tfl.gov.uk using our free* Virgin Media Wifi service! Termsandconditionsapplyserviceisonlyfreetoexistingcustomersproductmaycontainnuts."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Public info: your webpage is running late and will be with your browser in 3 minutes time.

"Virgin Media will get some promotion of the service, as the London Underground will be "allowing access to the same public information channels used for other service improvement" but exactly what that means isn't clear."

Perhaps along the lines, your webpage is running late and will be with your browser in 3 minutes time.

Either way you look at it. It is one heck of a scoop for Virgin and they should do will in term of sales of the back of this venture. Me personaly just think that this will lead to a increase in pick-pockets, what will all the people stationary, with both hand out infront handcuffed to there mobile device and there focus limited to a small area a few inch's square. Pickpockets would never take advantage of that now would they. Still it could lead to less mobile phone thefts.

How many peoplw will do VOIP with this, and no they could try and block it but its the internets, things always get thru.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Public info: your webpage is running late and will be with your browser in 3 minutes time.

"Perhaps along the lines"

Marvellous, thank you. :-)

4. dotdavid
    WTF?

Don't mention the Olympics

Just read this;

"Virgin Media can't mention the Olympics, it isn't a sponsor so can't even refer to the fact that the free Wi-Fi will last until the end of the 2012 Games"

Seriously, they can't even mention the Olympics? Everyone else seems to be doing it, including the council near Holborn who have somehow managed to build a "throw your rubbish in the bin" campaign around the Olympics (well, they have a gymnast posing while dropping something in a bin, anyway).

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Don't mention the Olympics

Try reading the official rules, terms and conditions on the London 2012 website and you'll see the true extent of the lunacy. Specific new *laws* put in place in the UK to give over rights and create "new" offences relating to the use of the London 2012 marks (logos and shit), general branding and words.

2. Graham Marsden
      Coat

Re: Don't mention the Olympics

They should hire John Cleese...

"Don't mention the Olympics! I did once, but I think I got away with it..."

5. ratfox
    Coffee/keyboard

Thank you for the headline

A laugh is always welcome.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Nick Ryan

Did you mean "(logos are shit)"?

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: @Nick Ryan

Well there is that... but not intended :)

7. Neil Spellings

I think it'll be useful

Not sure I agree with the "most of the time in a tunnel will make it useless" stance.

When services are running OK (yea, I know..) you actualy spend a fair bit of time in stations waiting for people to alight etc. Certainly enough time to refresh my emails, RSS and twitter feeds, and for those apps that do provide service running info to update their data.

Yea, if you're expecting to have a great interactive browsing session, or listen to Spotify, you'll be dissapointed, but the service isn't aimed at that.

As a Virgin Media customer, I'm quite pleased this'll be included in my "bundle" and will certainly improve my Smartphone experience whilst in and around London.

1. Chris 3

Re: I think it'll be useful

Agreed. Good for updatng RSS & Sending an e-mail.

8. John A Blackley

Damn!

There goes one more haven from those addicted to giving a second-by-second account of their miserable lives.

9. richard 7
    Joke

Maybe they really have earned the nickname...

Vermin Media

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Olympics

OlympicsOlympicsOlympicsOlympicsOlympicsOlympicsOlympicsOlympicsOlympicsOlympics

I can hear the sirens wailing, helicopters whirring, predators swooping, satellites changes their or

11. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Actually,

I would be extremely happy if nobody *ever* mentioned the O word again

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least

Free wifi wont bankrupt London like the Olympics will

13. Grommet
    FAIL

Strike?

Well if the train drivers go on strike as threatened you may spend more time on the platform than on the trains...

14. Barrie Shepherd

So we are up for hoards of people just buying a ticket to use the free WiFi. Platforms will become depositories of pad/laptop users camped out while real passengers have to scurry around them to get on the trains. :-)

Just like the situation in coffee shops that offer free WiFi.

1. the-it-slayer
      Meh

Blurghhhh...

I wouldn't expect much! Probably a Cisco wi-fi box backed onto a crappy DSL line and only reachable within the middle 5 metres of the platform...

Actually, would be handy to catch mainline train updates before I zoom through the tubes. Surprising how the shit can hit the fan within 10 minutes on some of the national rail lines.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like