back to article Portal 2 prevails at Bafta game awards

EA enjoyed considerable success at last Friday's British Academy of Film and Television Videogames Awards 2012 when several of the publisher's games snapped up prestigious statues. The accolade of Game of the Year went to Valve's highly-rated puzzler Portal 2, a title EA helped distribute, while Battlefield 3 - its fastest …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

Hmmm

I really like that BF3 got that best online, it is good.

1. Citizen Kaned

Re: Hmmm

really? its nowhere near as good as the older games (pre bad company). they dumbed it down for the rockets and snipers people who dont have the skills to play a proper FPS. i havent played it in months. why did they try their hardest to remove any element of teamwork?

1. Greg J Preece

Because your average 13 year old squeaky-voiced XBL player isn't interested in teamwork. They want a bigger digital cock than everyone else, so it's all about the kill numbers.

Which is why when I want co-op I play Killing Floor. Play as a team or get destroyed, and medics are respected rather than called "n00bs".

1. NomNomNom

on that subject wtf is killingfloor 2? or at least some killingfloor clones? i thought co-op survival stuff would take off after killingfloor but steam is still full of card games, train simulator add-ons and over the top fantasy MMO shit.

1. Greg J Preece

Dunno. Tripwire aren't the biggest company on Earth - maybe they can't get an Unreal 3 licence yet. Both their current big games are still Unreal 2 based. It would be nice to see them move to U3, as it's a rather good engine.

The real question is, can they come up with enemies more infuriating than crawlers and husks?

2. MJI Silver badge

Nothing for Uncharted 3

This was a surprise.

I expected it to win something

Well done to Portal 2 though

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nothing for Uncharted 3

We all know why. The industry daren't award a PS3 exclusive, it's only multiplatform titles and Xbox titles that are eligible for that.

The industry are too afraid of rocking the boat in a way that would upset Microsoft.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Nothing for Uncharted 3

But Uncharted 2 got 4 awards AFAIR.

3. stucs201
    Go

This was a triumph....

...making a note here: huge sucess!

(well someone had to)

1. Blofeld's Cat
      Happy

Re: This was a triumph....

"(well someone had to)"

Well yes, and ...

"Now I only want you gone."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Blofeld's Cat

Upvoted your post because I thought it was tongue in cheek. (This note is really for stucs20's benefit.)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Blofeld's Cat
          Joke

Re: @Blofeld's Cat

"Upvoted your post because I thought it was tongue in cheek. "

Yes it certainly is.

If in doubt check the Portal 2 end lyrics.

2. A 31
      Happy

Re: This was a triumph....

teehee

4. Semaj
    Thumb Up

Missing Category

"Bethesda's RPG, Skyrim, went home without a single win despite nominations in five categories"

They mustn't have a category for most over-hyped game that fails to live up to even the smallest of promises.

I used to be a big fan of the Elder Scrolls series (no arrow jokes please) but I will not be buying the next one (Oblivion was bad enough but Skyrim really in an insult in so many ways). I'm only just getting into it now that I have installed so many mods that it is practically a whole new game. I pity all those suckers on console - especially PS3.

I can't decide whether it was more of a let down than Saint's Row 3 but they are very close either way.

So good on you Bafta, well done for not giving in to hype.

P.S. I know I've not given specifics as to why I don't like it - they have been covered by many fans in great depth. The general theme can be summed up rather well by one phrase though - "The almost a thousand steps"

1. Semaj
      Trollface

Re: Missing Category

Darn, I hate it when I type in instead of is ...

Also sometimes a post really could do with a supplementary icon. Troll face is also applicable XD

2. NomNomNom

Re: Missing Category

weirdly enough the thing that put me off buying skyrim was seeing the inventory interface on a lets play. The interface didn't feel like they were part of the game but that I had instead left the game and had gone onto some kind of shopping website. I couldn't cope with the prospect of facing such recurring immersion loss. Seemed to me that the interface had been made this way for consoles. Sad.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

follow-up?

"leaving those with original concepts scratching their heads as to what they must do to compete with the flurry of sequels available these days."

Follow up with a version which perfects their original idea? Just a thought.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All the pro/anti BF3/MW and other nonsense aside

Woo, Portal 2 *was* actually astoundingly good. The puzzles amused even non puzzle gamers, and the quality of the art/environments and writing were absolutely stellar. If Hollywood could write such pithy, twisted stuff on a regular basis, it would be delighted. Portal 2 was aces.

..and I'm still a potato.

1. Marcelo Rodrigues
      Trollface

Re: All the pro/anti BF3/MW and other nonsense aside

No, no! Don't go! We'll have cake!

7. jai

Mark Hamill

glad to see Mark Hamill got the award. Batman AC was an terrific game, but his performance in that and the previous game was absolutely spot on. Really quite sad at the thought that he's not going to do that character any more.

8. EddieD

Worthy winner.

I got Portal 2, and even though I'm not a gamer of any note, I had a complete blast - good plot, good execution.

Good to see BAFTA recognising talent.

9. Ed

EA

EA didn't publish Portal 2 - they just distributed it. Valve published it themselves.

10. P. Lee
    Linux

Portal 2

Was the bees knees. It was a complete blast. My only criticism was that the it was relatively easy to work out what needed to be done (a bit like "Follow the lights" in L4D2. I'd like to have seen more options to play with the gels which didn't get you anywhere.) However, that ease may have been because I was familiar with Portal [1].

Loads of fun, great story, great ending, even if it couldn't quite match P1's end credits. Well done Valve and good call from the Awards.

Tux loves to slide

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like