back to article Hands on with Kinect Star Wars

I had a chance this week to play on a near-final build of the upcoming Kinect Star Wars to get an impression of the game ahead of its launch early next month. The title has come a long way since its E3 2011 build - my last attempt to wield an invisible lightsabre. If you exclude any in-front-of-the-mirror embarrassments at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It didn't take a rocket scientist

to work out that Kinect was nothing more than a folly, even at launch, and that this game would be the final nail in the Kinect coffin.

I'm surprised it's lasted so long, as my local CEX and Gamestation are chock full of used Kinect units, and nobody is buying them...

1. Toxteth O'Gravy

Re: It didn't take a rocket scientist

Yeah, but no one's buying the cock-alike Sony Move you love so much, either, Bazza.

[Disclaimer: not a console owner]

1. Mike Brown

but at least if this was a move game, it would work proparly.

Lightsabre fights on the move would be immense. and since you have access to a diretional controller too, there would be no need for "on the rails" controls.

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Re: Mike Brown

Not sure about what the Move can do (I have never tried one) but I'd think it at least matches, and probably surpasses Wii's Motion Plus capabilities.

A game with something like Skyward Sword's gameplay, PS3's graphic power and a Star Wars theme would be a blast... It doesn't sound that hard to do, does it?

1. MJI Silver badge

Re:Coatsworth

I have a Move and it does get used, yes it is very good as a one to one controller, table tennis is rather good, but I am rubbish at it. To me it is an FPS controller.

Now if it had a long tube on it - which geek would NOT want it?

Regardless of format we just want to wave a lightsabre.

2. 1Rafayal

to be fair, this is one game that would have thrived on Move as opposed to Kinect.

3. MJI Silver badge

A Move lightsabre game - if it did work as expected was not on rails and had no dance offs I would consider it.

2. Greg J Preece

@Toxteth- Re: It didn't take a rocket scientist

He didn't seem to mention the Move at all, and even if the Move was shit, that doesn't make the Kinect good.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think you will find that PS Move has actually outsold Kinect, as last year it was pretty close.

The only reason you think different is the constant PR machine of Microsoft with their regional cherry-picked statistics and misleading shipped figures..

http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2011/11/25/ps-move-sales-hit-9m-catching-up-to-kinect/

"The article notes that the Move has just hit roughly 9 million in sales since its release last year"

"“The Kinect’s weakness has been the sales pattern, where 8 million devices sold in 2 months, and then in the next 10 months only 2 million more devices were sold."

Of course we all know the real reason for the uneven sales pattern, that 8m launch figure was absolute bollocks made up by Microsoft, but the press were too fucking thick to see it, only when end of year sales do Microsoft have to come clean with real numbers, and then it looks VERY odd...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Being a happy PS3 Move user I'm convinced that this issue has /nothing/ to do with the controller, nor do I think it would have mattered if this game was using the Move instead of a Kinect.

The simple issue here is that some games don't really work with a movement controller, no matter which out of those two. When looking at the Move I think it excels when it comes to stuff like playing tennis or other or such sports. But when playing an action game such as inFamous (think: walking, shooting, climbing) then it becomes rather tedious again, really quick even. So does Move suck for action games? No! When looking at the action scenes in 'Heavy Rain' (another title which you can fully play with the Move) then these really work out for me.

Quite frankly I'm convinced that the same applies to the Kinect, even though I have only sporadically played with it at a friends place. This game simply doesn't work with the Kinect, but there are plenty of games which /do/ have this interface worked out in the way it should be.

1. Mike Brown

@ ShelLuser. have you played the fighting bit of sport champions? with swords and shields? amazing, and the reason why a lightsabre game would work wonders on Move. All i could think of while playing, is how good a star wars game would be.

The controller is ideal for simulating a lightsabre. the ball on the end could even change colour depending on the colour of the blade. and the 1-2-1 movemtn means that wherever you swing the controller the blade goes. it even does depth well

My ideal game would basically be dark forces 2, possibly in 3rd person, so you can actually see yourself, but using the move controllers and better graphics. The controllers would even work for force powers. Press triangle, aim at the rebel scum and hoist them into the air by thier neck!

Damn George Lucas, and his need for cash, and damn micrsoft for buying titles. A lightsabre game would rock on Move but it will probably never happen.

2. SpaMster
    Facepalm

Why did people even buy into this device in the first place?

When are people going to realise the Kinect is not the future of gaming, its a gimick, that unfotunatly a lot of x-box users fell for after they were fed false promises of a-list titles and a whole host of other features. The kinect falls into the same catagory as other bombshells, such as the nintendo power glove, an expensive device, that is quickly forgotten about by the developers. I must know 10+ people with a kinect, and none of them have used it again after the first week of purchase, and all of them think it was a waste of money. This game seems to be the final nail in the coffin.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Optional

I own a kinect, hardly used it since i bought it. Not too bothered since i just wanted an xbox. Already have a PS3 and that sits gathering dust so i'm used to buying stuff and not using it in the console department (PC is just better). That said, i like having the kinect, it's a nice toy even if i don't use it and a pretty cool piece of kit as consumer level tech goes.

But yes, it was obvious this wasn't the future of gaming (i'm still staying loyal to my damned kb and mouse!)

4. mafoo
    Unhappy

"Galactic Dance-Off"

Where is the demonstration video of you doing the dance part of the game?

Seriously, you've robbed me of at least 2 minutes of hysterical laughter.

5. FatGerman
    Pint

I think the reviewer's thoughts about the age range are probably right. I've played a few Kinect games at a friend's house and they amused me for a couple of minutes and then that was it. His two children, aged 9 and 5, both love the thing and can't get enough of even the simplest games. It's fer kids innit?

With my cynical old man hat on, I think the Princess Leia dancing scene is only there to give the dads something to take their minds off the pain of watching small children wave their arms and scream at a TV.

When I want to wave my arms and scream at a TV, I watch Question Time. It must be a generational thing.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>"Air Hockey anyone?"

I was very disappointed when I recently had an opportunity to play Air Hockey in an arcade, to discover that there is now a vertical plexiglass safety screen across the pitch half-way, allowing only low shots along the table to pass underneath, and robbing me of my favourite technique, perfected in the games hall on the pier at Weston-Super-Mare when I was a kid in the '70s, of chipping up the puck off the table at speed and trying to hit my younger brother (or other opponent) in the face with it.

It's health and bloody safety gone mad, that's what it is!

7. MJI Silver badge

Seen it on PlayR

And I think it is an appalling game.

Dance off - WTF which film was that in?

All we want to do is hold a lightsaber.

And this game is just bad, it would be terrible on any format.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

if people want to experience something akin to a lightsabre battle

why not take up fencing or something of that like, surely no game controller is going to give the right kind of feedback when two sabres connect. be warned though, there are serious students out there that do not take kindly to lightsabre noises being made!

plus nintendo always had decent star wars games, look at Teras Kasi on PS, that was awful and naming it after the loo was a bit wierd. I have been a fan of the films (yes all of them) since I first saw Star Wars on the big screen in Llandudno, but today I do begin to wonder just how much money GL really needs, when i see Yoda advertising Vodafone and the endless toys that bare little resembelance to characters.

oh well

1. MJI Silver badge
      Megaphone

Re: if people want to experience something akin to a lightsabre battle

why not take up fencing or something of that like, surely no game controller is going to give the right kind of feedback when two sabres connect. be warned though, there are serious students out there that do not take kindly to lightsabre noises being made!

If we cannot have the noises - we won't bother

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like