back to article Public service plans paperless future

Australia’s National Archives has hatched a plan to get federal government agencies digitising everything, the better to preserve it for the future. The new Digital Continuity Plan http://www.naa.gov.au/records-management/agency/digital/digital-continuity/plan/index.aspx has been developed because the Archives think “ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

two small flaws in the so called paperless office

First flaw being people go - digitise everything. Thats fine but what you scanning in - paper. Thats fine for archives in some respects but unless you process the scanned pages any extra level of processing saving over the paper version is not helping on balance. You need to change the process's to eliminate the paper and not scan it in and go - look ma were a paperless office as the paper still needs to exist to be scanned.

Second flaw, never use a toilet in a paperless office - ever.

The whole concept of a paperless office is ironicly fine on paper, but until we have a situation were everybody is comfortable with a cashless money system, then you will still have issues. Remember paper has 100% uptime and not 5 9's.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: two small flaws in the so called paperless office

You miss the key point.

A piece of paper is a data store that's only accessible in one location. It slow to access and it's slow to search. It's also extremely bulky.

By scanning you can both get rid of the bulky hard copies and make your documents accessible anywhere. It saves both office space and time and both of those cost a lot of money and consume a lot of energy. It's a huge benefit to any organization that handles a lot of paper documents.

Yes, ideally you eliminate paper from processes, but scanning is very useful.

PS Air Blades are awesome and I've been told that once you've used a bidet you'll never want to go back to paper. But, true, a shared bidet is something else.

2. Tom 13
      Trollface

Re: Second flaw

Yep, NJ was about to go completely paperless the other day and made all the national dailies. I understand they finally recognized the error of their ways and got some more paper in.

2. frank ly
    Coat

@AC 02:49

I'd need pulsed power-jets, and an ultrasonic descaling probe.

Ok, on my way......

3. Tom 13
    Stop

I see the digital uptopianists are at it again.

At the end of another of The Roommate's harrow tales of work the other day was this statement:

"Thankfully one of my guys unexpected was able to find the data I needed to support my recommendation to the warrant holder. It was a piece of paper about 20 years old. I suppose I should be thankful it was a piece of paper, because if it had been digital we probably wouldn't have had a computer that could read it."

And yes, The Roommate works in an engineering office where the paperwork trail is more important than the work itself.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like