back to article Cane toad hitches lift to southern Australia

Australia may be on the verge of total subjugation by cane toads which locals fear have now developed the ability to hitchhike on lorries. According to The Scotsman, an example of the monster toad turned up in a Melbourne drain - quite some distance from their northern stomping ground where they have, since their ill-advised …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That should be *Southern* Australia

<PEDANT>

Melbourne is the capital of Victoria, the capital of South Australia is Adelaide.

</PEDANT>

2. Matt Jordan

I know this isnt ./ but

Let me be among the first to welcome our new amphibian masters!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

Matt wrote:

'Let me be among the first to welcome our new amphibian masters!'

Oh come on, it's hardly new - John Prescott has been deputy PM for what - 10 years now.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: I know this isnt ./ but

It is of course /.

just the basic to get u started...

i) let me be the first to welcome our new (fill in the blank) overlords. (not masters)

ii) a Beowulf cluster of these... (used in reference to just about anything, but more traditionally when in reference to hardware)

iii) all your base are belong to us... (just fit it in where ever)

iv) a Library of Congress (unit of measurement for mass storage devices)

v) a station wagon hurling down the highway packed with tape drives ( measure of bandwidth)

use the above Ad nauseam interlaced with acronyms like IANA.. L, P, whatever

that pretty much accounts for the majority of /. posts excepts for "that's so gay" and disparaging references to Taco's sexuality.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

I live within Kilometers of where they were released. Your comment on Toadzilla, is accurate enough. The size of local toads have been shrinking over the years, but these remote ones, like the one in Melbourne are huge. It was thought they could not survive the cold and get too far south, that is what the fuss is about.

BTW Darwin is nowhere near 3200KM away from here ;)

6. Ishkandar

Where IS Darwin ?? 3200 km ??

Somewhere in the Antartica, in the South Pacific (go East pass New Zealand and keep going, the Kiwis are rather particular who they allow on their islands), somewhere in the Southern Indian Ocean, or in the Suluwesi Archipelego ??

This topic is closed for new posts.