back to article Nokia design chief ayes tablet plan

Nokia has revealed it has started work on a tablet, adding weight to rumours that the firm is set to launch an iPad challenger when Microsoft's Windows 8 software is released later this year. "We are working on it," confirmed Nokia design chief Marko Ahtisaari in an interview with Finnish magazine Kauppalehti Optio. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 4

Well....

This could be a chance for Nokia to claw back some market presence. Part of the reason that Android tablets haven't taken over iPads (and please, please, let's not go down this route until after I've finished speaking) is because some of the Android names like Lenevo, Asus and HTC are not as well known amongst the less tech savy older generation. "Nokia", however, is a name that still carries weight with them, despite their recent horrific attempts at making phones.

IF Nokia can make the tablet easy to use and IF they can reach this market, then it could be the lifebelt Nokia needs in an Apple flavoured sea populated with Android sharks.

1. Richard Plinston

Re: Well....

> some of the Android names like Lenevo, Asus and HTC are not as well known amongst the less tech savy older generation.

Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Samsung, Sony, Motorola, Toshiba. Yeah, they'd only be known by young geeks.

2. Arctic fox
    Facepalm

".....tablet space with interest, but have made no specific announcements."

Corporate stonewalling, nothing else. I do not believe that their CEO opened his mouth recently by "accident" and nor do I believe that their chief designer opened his gob and "just let it slip". This is a fairly typical example in the business of a carefully calibrated "build up interest campaign" going into the spring. We can confidently expect the carefully placed "leaks/obscure video clips" in the course of the summer and the official announcement at Nokia's big "do" in September - I'll eat my old Nokia candybar pan-fried if it does not play out like that. They are simply doing what any company does and that is to do their best to play the media like a violin - and the media of course are very willing to oblige. Cynical, me? No not all - I'm the naive and trusting type.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Well

"Lenevo, Asus and HTC are not as well known amongst the less tech savy older generation. "Nokia", however, is a name that still carries weight with them, despite their recent horrific attempts at making phones."

I'm sorry but anyone who has seen the latest Nokia adverts for the Lumia phones will know how they are marketed at the Twitter / Facebook generation who have the attention span of 240 characters.

Older people may know the Nokia name, but they'll also know they don't want one of their phones after watching that advert.

4. Graham Dawson Silver badge
    Facepalm

They had a tablet. I'm holding it right now, though it's not switched on... granted the n810 is a little smaller than the average these days but, when it came out, it was a breath of fresh air.

God in heaven. Nokia, you wasted so much talent and money developing a tablet line that would have put you ahead of EVERYONE by now, if only you'd actually stuck at it but no, you had to can it just when you'd got to the point where it was about to pay off. And then you did it again. And you keep doing it, every time something new cones along you get cold feet and run off to carry out the worst possible alternative.

Anyone who says Elop has detroyed Nokia is only half right. He's simply carrying on Nokia's grand tradition of self-sabotage and moronic decision-making.

1. Christian Berger

N810

It still is ahead of the competition. The only things it lacked were proper storage (only Mini-SD) and no GSM/UMTS module (which made sense back then, as both networks were hideously expensive for data back then, and it would have been classified as a handset and therefore network operators would have imposed their restrictions on it.) Of course it already did SIP VoIP and came with a Skype client. At least over SIP it does video. It even runs an X11 server so you can even run normal unmodified GUI applications on it.

Probably the best feature it has is the lack of a "market". You have repositories full of open source software. Nearly anything of use was and often still is available.

1. Richard Plinston

Re: N810

The N800 (which I use) and later were also real Linux and compatible with desktop software. I developed Python/Glade/SQLite programs which would run unchanged on N800, Linux desktop and Windows.

I was hoping to get a N950, but that was one reason that Microsoft wanted current Nokia products killed off.

With HP WebOS Microsoft could announce Windows On ARM and then threaten HP with loss of discounts on all their Windows PC and server products as an incentive to dumping the non-partnership products and loyally replace them with WOA products, just as they had done with Netbooks by reviving XP.

Nokia, and several others, could not be persuaded by this as they have no PC products to be threatened over, so alternative strategies were required.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like