back to article US gov tells Apple chief Tim Cook: Send us a minion to grill

The US Congress has asked Apple to send a representative to Washington to face a grilling over iPhone privacy, after Cupertino's initial response to questioning was unsatisfactory and late. In addition, the furore over apps slurping photos from iPhones that broke at the end of February, has prompted a second set of questions …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I thought the whole point of Apple's App Store certification was to prevent nasties?

I've evidently missed something, but then I don't have an iDevice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The problem here is the definition of 'nasties'. Is an app that uses address book information to suggest other users you may know a 'nasty'?

Computer applications have had free access to all your data for years, but the boundaries for apps on mobile devices are still being defined.

1. James Micallef Silver badge
        Coat

I think from Apple's point of view, nasties include anyt app that's subtracting from it's bottom line

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. a cynic writes...

If it doesn't ask permission at any point - yes.

If on the other hand it asks permission and the user is too bone idle to check before they say agree - then no.

2. Armando 123
    Devil

I wonder

... if the congressional wankers are worried that THEIR secrets might get out. Not that any true adult among us would be shocked by anything at this point.

1. admiraljkb
      Meh

Re: I wonder

Yeah, I'd say what secrets? :) Pretty much everything is already public knowledge now. So many scandals keep coming out that the populace is burned out on it and doesn't care anymore. The current reaction to a politician can't keep it in his pants story? "Meh, don't they all do that?" Occasionally I think it works for the older ones when the normal quote is - "Impressive, at his age?"

3. John A Blackley

A marvellous opportunity

When the Apple reps do talk with the good Senators perhaps they (the Apple reps) can question the Senators about the US government's approach to citizen privacy.

4. Efros
    Thumb Up

Contempt of Congress

"The criminal offense of "contempt of Congress" sets the penalty at not less than one month nor more than twelve months in jail and a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $1,000"

Be nice to see some execs wallowing in the pokey.

1. nexsphil

Re: Contempt of Congress

Somehow I doubt that. The US is a financial oligarchy. What you're suggesting is like a local magistrate locking the King up for contempt. Law might technically allow it, but in reality, with the money & therefore political clout Apple has in the US - har de fucking har.

1. Gannon (J.) Dick
        Thumb Down

Re: Contempt of Congress

Harrrr.......umpf. So cynical.

If you want a visit from Apple, hang out in their bars and pick up the next lost unreleased iPhone. These Congressmen are behaving like spoiled brats. If you are not willing to play by the established rules, then you simply can't play.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

apple shares UP $100 in the last month

can't they just buy congress? or has RIAAMPASS filled/"lobbied" the Capitol indulgencies to overflowing..??

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too late

Google beat them to it

http://www.sfexaminer.com/politics/congress/2012/01/googles-4q-lobbying-bill-triples-376-million

7. Keep Refrigerated
    Trollface

Oh ok then, carry on good corporate citizen!

Presumably Apple can just respond that they are checking address book contacts for known terrorists and/or pirates which they will them report to the relevant authorities... <see title>

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like