back to article NASA's 5-rocket mission to blast off tonight

Tonight's the night for NASA's five rockets in five minutes plan, providing the skies stay clear, with the first launch scheduled for sometime between midnight and 1.30am EST (5am to 6.30am on 15 March GMT). The Anomalous Transport Rocket Experiment (ATREX) is hoping to gather the information needed to understand the high- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Heironymous Coward
    Boffin

"five rockets in five minutes" ... "scheduled for sometime between midnight and 1.30am EST" ... "all five dumping their tracer trails at altitudes of between 53 and 84 miles (85 and 130km), leaving milky-white clouds that should allow the cameras on the ground and the public to "see" the winds for up to 20 minutes"

Won't it be dark out?? Just saying...

2. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Launching 5 at once?

Worried about "carbon tax?"

OTOH, I'd love to have that nice big box of matches...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/dec/21/international-airlines-carbon-emissions?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

3. kgdave

We've already leaped!

The time should be quoted in Eastern Daylight Time (GMT-4). We switched this past Sunday.

1. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

The time should be quoted in Eastern Daylight Time (GMT-4). We switched this past Sunday.

Great move! So the folks in EDT can switch to Farenheit at the same time...so, EDT and Libyan temperature are now aligned?

Sorry, folks, but I'll stick to UT.

(I suppose this would equate why a US Dollar theoretically would have a different value on the West coast, as the East coast?)

4. hplasm
    Facepalm

Methinks-

The Chemtrail Troofers will be all over this one...

1. Fibbles

Re: Methinks-

Beat me to it.

Not that I mind though, I like to pretend their websites are actually full of science-fiction about a shadowy and oppressive world government. If it weren't for all the spelling errors I might actually be tempted to buy some of this stuff in paper back. It's certainly no worse than the stuff Dan Brown spews out.

2. Nate H.

In Future News, the entire eastern seaboard of the United States suffers zombie outbreak.

3. Wombling_Free
      Facepalm

I love how Chemtrailers think that all world governments are in collusion with scientists and have this huge scheme going.

Just look at out governments - most of them would struggle to run a bath successfully, let alone a global conspiracy.

5. Annihilator
    Thumb Up

Thanks

"(5am to 6.30am on 15 March GMT)."

I generally bitch when GMT isn't quoted, so should say thanks for this :-)

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

From the linked Web-site -

Posted by RCC on 2012-03-14 at 17:43:34 EDT

NASA has scrubbed the launch tonight of the five suborbital sounding rockets from the Wallops Facility as part of a study of the upper level jet stream. The launch was scrubbed because of an internal radio frequency interference issue with one of the rockets. The next launch attempt is no earlier than the night of Friday, March 16

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NASA has scrubbed the launch tonight of the five suborbital sounding rockets from the Wallops Facility. The next launch attempt will be no earlier than the night of Friday, March 16.

8. Wombling_Free
    Trollface

terrier-improved malemutes...

how exactly are strapped-together dogs going to tell us about the Jet Stream?

Oh I wish we could post pictures - you'll have to imagine a whole bunch of small yappy yorkies strapped to a confused Malemute being released in the middle of pad 3B...

9. SYNTAX__ERROR
    Joke

Unintentional humour I think...

"...far above where the jet stream we're used to hearing about in the weather forecast lies."

The weather forecast lies. How apt.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like