back to article Google bod: Fast net 'absolutely CRITICAL' to UK future

Google is championing the need for improved fixed and mobile internet access while flying the flag for British small businesses online. High-speed broadband and mobile coverage go hand-in-hand, helping businesses get online and helping consumers to buy their services, Google's man said, adding that this in turn boosts the UK's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Money and mouth: same place or not?

So Google, a company that would have nothing without the internet, wants other people to make it go faster? Amazing! You can see how this guy got to be a veep.

Since Brittin made the observation that the UK was a “world leader” in e-commerce because it spends more per-head online than any other country, maybe "Dave" should return the compliment by saying "Google is a world leader in internet searching because it gets more search queries than other websites". Then they can all stop statin' the bleedin' obvious and get back to doing some useful work.

However, if Brittin was prepared to put up some cash to help get improved fixed and mobile 'net access - rather than merely suggesting that somebody else should do it, that would be an altogether different matter.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Money and mouth: same place or not?

Sorry, but I can't quite comprehend how you got down-voted for stating the obvious in that Google are wanting the tax-payer to subsidise their business model by providing faster access so they can fling more shit around. I have an alternate suggestion for Mr Brittin, perhaps he ought to persuade his employers to pay their fucking tax dues in Europe instead of exploiting Irish tax loop-holes to extract their income to the Cayman Islands through dodgey licensing deals. Then maybe there'd be more money for Governments to spend on infrastructure even at their loss rates. Bizarre thinking I know.

2. Andy 70
    Windows

I love the "get people out of poverty" chesnut. just throw that one out there to make you feel good about what we're doing.

do they think people really are that stupid?

i really fancy steak and chips for munch tonight.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

heir apparent to the Osborne Baronetcy of Ballentaylor Chancellor said

(George Gideon Oliver Osborne) announced that £150m would become available this year to “improve the coverage and quality of mobile service” for 5 to 10 per cent of consumers and businesses “where existing mobile coverage is poor or non-existent".

So, pardon my ignorance, but does "improve the quality" mean A) drop GSM/GPRS as the crypto algorithms are comprehensively broken and use is now equivalent to plaintext for voice and data.

B) pushing the incumbent UMTS operators to give us 3G at 900MHz to improve an enormous amount for safety and security whilst building the broadband Britain. LTE could then be stuffed in the 2.1GHz holes.

C) Unpaid billion dollar tax bills could go some way to rolling out unbroken infrastructure?

Bing/Google for stuff like this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2011/08/12/codebreaker-karsten-nohl-why-your-phone-is-insecure-by-design/

4. Camilla Smythe

Britten

"I think government understand how important [it] is when you talk to them".

Fuck me mate. Which Planet did you arrive from?

Talking to Government about 'important stuff' is futile. They are too busy going 'Lah Lah' behind closed doors fondling their fondleslabs sacking each other and setting up a few nice earners from industrial lobbyists for when they get the boot for knowing fuck all and being spoon fed.

Take Google as a case in point....

Oooooops Bugger...

As you were.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

improve what exactly?

The mobile networks? why? so we can have even faster speeds with crap limits or a bank busting contract?

The land lines? how? BT sure as hell wont do it, not unless they can get some serious mark up out of it which seriously effects the coverage.

Im all for getting faster speeds but OFCOM needs to pull its finger out of its arse, grow some balls, and kick the whole lot of them until they do something about it, The fact remains that it is simply not in their interest in us (out of city, (an yes I know some city folk have crap speeds too)) having faster speeds, if they can keep the disparity between High or low speeds they can continue to charge a premium for the services, if it becomes the "norm" then those prices will drop as competition grows

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like