back to article US withdraws IANA RFP, ‘no suitable responses’

The Internet’s rent-seeking domain name toll-collector ICANN is red-faced following the cancellation of an IANA (Internet Assigned Names and Numbers) RFP from the Department of Commerce. The RFP (request for proposals) cancellation, reported on CircleID, happened because, according to the National Telecommunications and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chad H.

“the separation of policymaking from implementation, a robust companywide conflict of interest policy"

----

So they had to have a conflict of interest policy, but couldn't implement it?

1. json

That;s correct..

..many ccTLDs registries have the same issues.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Standards are falling at t'Reg

What the hell does RFP mean? Surely its not too hard to proof read an article before posting it.

If you look at the article, it's littered with the usual IT related TLAs. The author spelt out the NTIA's name in full and kindly explained what IANA means (but not ICANN). This RFP thing is the whole point of the article so please tell what it means.

Could I suggest you follow the time honoured method of using an abbreviation and then following its first occurrence with a parenthesized expansion?

** Google ** RFP: Request For Proposal.

Cheers

Jon

1. Richard Chirgwin (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Standards are falling at t'Reg

Acronyms explained. Thanks, Richard Chirgwin

1. Anonymous Coward
        Linux

Sorry, committed comment before I also added that I enjoyed the article.

I've just come off a major /. session and as you may know readers there aren't noted for holding back. Perhaps I should puff on my pipe a few more times before ranting on a far more genteel site 8)

Cheers

Jon

2. Lars Silver badge
      Pint

Agree with you totally. According to whatis.com it is probably something like this.

"RFP: Request for Proposal--A solicitation issued by the government to prospective offerors. An RFP describes what the government requires and how the offerors will be evaluated. Negotiations may be conducted with offers. Award is based on a combination of lowest price and technical merit."

or not.

3. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Coat

For example: TLA (three letter acronym)?

MTOWADITP (Mines the one with the dictionary in the pocket)

4. arrbee
      Boffin

Weird - I would have said that RFP is a pretty standard (and by no means new) abbreviation; far more familiar than OMG and its ilk. They'll be asking about RFC and RFI next !

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

nominative determinism

They should change their name from ICANN to ICAN'T ..

1. LaeMing
      Megaphone

Re: nominative determinism

But will Apple let them?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fairly impressive

It means nobody saw fit to claim they can do better than ICANN. Or rather, that AND get selected, which stands to reason after the DeNIC/verisign debacle. Maybe the rules were too strict. Maybe they preclude what really needs to happen. Like, the US buggering off and leaving the internet to itself. In a way that doesn't lend itself for its judicial system to abuse its unique position and assert its laws world-wide, pissing off everyone including the neighbours. I don't really know the details and I must admit to not even have bothered looking at the rules. Because, you know, this is ICANN and the US govt. we're talking about.

1. Yes Me Silver badge
      Megaphone

this is ICANN and the US govt

"Because, you know, this is ICANN and the US govt. we're talking about."

Neither of whom, IMNSHO*, should be entrusted any longer with managing the DNS and the IP address space. It's time that the IANA functions were moved to a trustworthy NGO outside US jurisdiction.

*That's an acronym that everybody should know, in my not so humble opinion.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like