back to article Google, Asus co-brand tablet to take on Amazon Kindle Fire

Asus and Google are working on a co-branded 7in tablet designed to take the fight to Amazon's Kindle Fire, but the gadget won't be unveiled to the public before May. So say unnamed industry sources, cited by DigiTimes, who add that the Android-running tablet will be the first to use Google's new Play online shop. As such, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. thesykes
    WTF?

What?

"the first to use Google's new Play online shop."

Funny... that icon on my phone clearly says Play Shop... and replaced the Android Market a couple of days ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What?

I wondered about that too, Google Play has now replaced the Market on my Transformer Prime tablet as well as my phone.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What?

It'll be crap compared to the opposition.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was..

I was going to make the inappropriate comment about it being a "GASUS" tablet. Then I remembered that ASUS is pronounced Ah-SUS not Ay-SUS (it's the last part of PEGASUS) and it wouldn't work. So I won't.

1. g e
      Joke

Re: I was..

Doesn't that make it 'Arse-Us' in Americaland ?

I say Ay-sus, not knowing any better until 3 minutes ago...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any Android entry level tablet

will be better than the locked down shit from Amazon and Apple.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Any Android entry level tablet

Google just like to lock out competition, like skyhook, or lean on developers to use google wallet for payments or be evicted from the store

But muppets think it's 'open'

1. Craigness
        FAIL

My phone came with non-Google apps & services for books, music and movies, and gave me the option to install the Google equivalents (other than Google Music in the UK) or something completely different. I can install a different market app if I want to as well.

But muppets think it's "not open".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Perhaps you should read the story on Reuters

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/08/us-google-idUSBRE8271CJ20120308

Use googles service or you're out. Take the blinkers off

1. Anonymous Coward
            Stop

@AC 13:29

I think you should also watch those blinkers when you're reading that article. A more correct statement would be "use Google's services when distributing through other Google services". Until (and I will be surprised if it is) it's announced that this tablet only allows apps through the Android Market (nope, not calling it Play yet) then I don't see the problem.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@AC 13:29

That article actually states that it is a good move on Google's behalf to require Google Play developers to use the Google Wallet for purchases.

Doesn't mention forcing developers distributing apps via other means to have to use Google Wallet just because they are developing for android.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You sure this won't be locked down to use the Google's Play Shop exclusively?

Google is already banning apps that use third party payment services such as Paypal:

Android Market rule prohibits use of third-party in-app payment services

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Google isn't banning anyone from using 3rd party payment services only stating that apps that are hosted via the Google Play have to use Google Wallet.

You can get an app from anywhere, that uses any payment method you want.

They can't really lock it down to using a single market either without changing their whole developer ecosystem and becoming a walled garden - which is more than a little unlikley.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about play.com ...

... I wonder what they have to say about it, selling music, games and films and stuff.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What about play.com ...

Google will just threaten to downrank or worse, remove, Play.com from their search results.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If Play.com sues the fandroids will all be shouting that Play isn't a trademarkeable name, and that everyone was "Play"ing books and apps years ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Somebody get some tinfoil hats for these fawkes masks. Loving the pointless speculation and accusations.

6. GreggS

Not using Motorola then?

strange

1. Stuart 22
      Thumb Up

Re: Not using Motorola then? Yes, but

Maybe Asus is a better choice. A history of excellent, well engineered and durable hardware, fast to market and able to deliver at the low end. They invented the netbook market.

Sadly their marketing could not keep pace and they lost out there. Let's hope second time round they have hired some better marketeers and put some guts and volume into the non-Apple fondleslab market..

1. keithpeter Silver badge
        Megaphone

Re: Not using Motorola then? Yes, but

Rootable?

Earphone socket to get the sound out. USB socket to get audio in. Running the puredata sound modification software. You program your own touchy interface. Nice....

Loudhailer: wait untill you hear the stuff I do :twisted:

2. Vic

Re: Not using Motorola then?

> strange

I don't think so. Google made a firm statement when the Motorola buy-out was announced that they would not be preferring any one manufacturer over another.

This would appear to lend some credence to that statement...

Vic.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Digitimes

Yawn another unnamed industry sources DigitTimes article, you'd get better odds of being right by flipping a coin.

8. dotdavid
    Facepalm

Branded lunatics

"Asus was the most happy to punt a low-cost tablet, unworried that the entry level positioning would tarnish its brand."

I think the fact that Asus' competitors seem to think they *have* a premium brand when it comes to tablets says a lot about their current lack of sales.

Personally, I'm quite impressed with Asus, a few dodgy firmware updates aside, and I think they would have been a far better choice than Samsung, Acer and Motorola even if the latter hadn't been so precious.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Asus was the most happy to punt a low-cost tablet"

As they hadn't already been burned by partnering on Chromebooks or Google TV.

10. b166er

'A history of excellent, well engineered and durable hardware' NOT!

Check out the download page for the A8N-VM CSM/NBP (NBP means nVidia Business Platform)

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_939/A8NVM_CSMNBP/#download

The final BIOS is Beta for chrissakes and can't even boot Windows 7 because they fucked up the Trusted Core module (as far as I can tell) and never finished the job.

It's far from the only problem I had with Asus boards, but then I haven't bought Asus for over 5 years because of the problems. Rumour has it they've improved, but I'm once bitten, especially considering there are other excellent manufacturers out there.

11. KroSha
    Thumb Up

"Asus was the most happy to punt a low-cost tablet, unworried that the entry level positioning would tarnish its brand."

Probably because they do entry-level stuff already in other areas and do it fairly well. Plus their existing 'droid tablet is probably the best of the bunch, so they've got a good Premium model on the market already. The other brands, named in the article or not, are trailing significantly, whether they admit it or not.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stung into action...

I imagine Google have more or less had to do this. Having set up the only credible non-IOS market, in tablets at least, the only serious competitor to Apple's volumes is the one that's been (at least partially) cleansed of Google's data harvesting tools.

So now Google are "partnering" (for which I read subsidizing) with Asus to limit the damage.

That must hurt :-)

On a more serious note, if I were an Android Licensee I'd be a bit hacked right off. Having watched Apple decimate me in the premium end of the business, to have then to watch Google kill me at the bottom end too is a bit of a body blow.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stung into action...

Very true. But everybody who uses Android is used to getting bitch slapped by Google so they'll just bend over and ask for more.

1. Craigness

Re: Re: Stung into action...

You've never used android, have you!

2. Craigness

Re: Stung into action...

Any Android device can be used without a Google account, but hardly anyone knows this. (Practically) any Android device can use Google's ecosystem or download content and apps from a wide variety of sources, but a lot of people don't seem to understand this. A Kindle Fire lets you download stuff from Amazon and everybody knows this.

It's not that people want to get away from Google, it's that they want a cheap device that has all the content they want at the press of an icon, and Kindle is what they know can do this. With Google Play (and a bit more awareness-creation), more people will get to know that any Android device does the same as Kindle Fire or an Ipad.

13. bailey86

Apt-x

Does it have Apt-x?

I'm not buying a tablet until the price is reasonable - and I can stream music in good quality over bluetooth to my stereo or one of those Creative docking station/speaker combo's (for the bedroom) which can receive music overapt-x/bluetooth.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like