back to article Disaster preparation gamified for Oz kids

Australia's Federal Government has released an iOs game, Before the Flood, to teach ten to fifteen year olds what to do when water levels start to rise. The app's release is both timely and unfortunate. In 2011 Brisbane, the capital of Queensland, experienced severe flooding that damaged thousands of homes, so the game's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Beau
    Facepalm

About Time!

Teaching "about emergency readiness."

Even in Portugal, Primary School children practice earth quake drill, "Get down and get under" and not to run outside like most of their parents do.

2. Paranoid Infosec Guy

Why is tax payer money being spent to support only one platform?

I think anything that adds to disaster preparedness is a good thing. However these types of Apps should be Cross Platform (IOS, Android, Blackberry dare I say it Windows and if feasible Symbian.) Apple is not a standard.

1. Peter Murphy
      Go

Re: Why is tax payer money being spent to support only one platform?

Because the Queensland government (like all governments everywhere) choose technologies based on the "Ooh, Shiny!" principle.

If I were in charge of things, I would make the app "HTML5" for two things. It makes it cross platform, which is what you want. But "HTML5" also has a nice buzzword quality to bamboozle - er, I mean persuade - otherwise technologically illiterate public servants and politicians that they're coming on in for the big win.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like