back to article Xeon E5 is hot stuff, but not all in a good way

Early Australian users of Intel's new server flagship, the Xeon E5, say it is satisfyingly speedy, but one says it's also worryingly hot. Doctor Jonathan Kozc of Swinburne University's Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing has used an early sample of the CPU to crunch numbers for his research into pulsars. Speaking at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

really?

some guy using an engineering sample cpu reports says it got hot.... wow, good story. Is this another of your joke "units of measurement" stories and I just didn't get it? Did he touch it with his finger and got an ouchie or did someone stick a thermometer on that thing.

You could have at least pretended to do some research and look up how hot the cpu is supposed to run on intel's site.

2. Stevie

Bah!

I for one welcome the advent of the liquid sodium cooled processor.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Bah!

Sodium has a melting point of just under 100C. I dread to think that we ever produces processors that run so hot that liquid sodium would be a coolant!

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Bah!

I think it was meant to read "liquid helium"; that would make more sense. Although liquid oxygen would be way more fun.

3. WinHatter
    Pint

Bahh ...

to maximize the ROI Studio Engine can always open a subsidiary : Steak Studio.

A freshy for me mate.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like