back to article Venus BELCHES solar wind in shock weather explosion

ESA's Venus Express spacecraft has spotted the planet blowing back million-mile-per-hour solar winds in weather explosions similar to what happens outside Earth's magnetic shield. Solar winds bombard the Earth every day, but the torrential gales are stopped about 44,000 miles away from the planet when they hit the magnetic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SkippyBing

' the point where the supersonic solar blast slows down'

How can something be supersonic in the vacuum of space?

1. Chris Miller

Re: ' the point where the supersonic solar blast slows down'

Because it isn't a perfect vacuum, there is a speed of sound in space. It's on the order of 100km/s but varies with local 'density'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliosphere#Termination_shock

2. hugo tyson
    Pint

Solar wind comes from the sun?

...so the orientation of the day/night sides of the planet in your picture seem, ahem, implausible....

Unless the planet's orbital velocity is meant to be waaay greater than the solar wind speed, which I don't think is the case?

Supersonic in terms of the speed of "sound" in the ambient solar wind I expect.

Hmmm, beer 'o'clock already...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I JUST CANNOT

Think thoughts on this scale.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Planetary Erection

That diagram is obscene.

5. arrbee
    Headmaster

So if every planet has one, how come they're called 'anomalies' ?

6. mtp
    Facepalm

Solar wind on the surface of Venus?

To be picky there is no way that the solar wind can reach the surface of Venus. There is far too much atmosphere in the way.

You need something like Mercury or the Moon with no atmosphere and no magnetic field.

Reminds me of much enjoyment from watching "The Core". I recommend it as a nights entertainment for any Physicist.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So Venus has hot flashes?

9. oldredlion
    Pint

Could be worse...

"Venus BELCHES solar wind"

it could be from Uranus.

10. DF118

Erm...

So, the solar wind comes from an entirely different quadrant to solar photons?

Learn something new every day!

11. roger stillick
    Meh

Grade School Science Books are inaccurate ?

Maybe its about time that some real Science Journals start requesting articles from ESA and NASA about what our solar system really looks like and how dynamic the interactions between the members are... What is seen in WIKI bears no resemblance to anything in schoolbooks, or the general media... The public can get over Gallaos and Kepplers view of our Solar system, WIKI has over 40 planetary bodies, with fly-by pix of each... There are solar wind views that look like the whole system is on fire (it probably is,by definition)... This world view probably isnt Religiously or Politically correct, so we get articles like this one... per WIKI, this is a yawn...

1. tybalt

Re: Grade School Science Books are inaccurate ?

What exactly is wrong with the article? You seem to have forgetten to say.

12. ElNumbre
    Linux

No idea...

Sorry, I have no idea what this article is about. However, that's a good drawing of the side profile of a Penguin.

1. Winkypop Silver badge

Re: No idea...

Oooh look, a cute penguin!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Belches?

Looks more like an 'ejaculation' to me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like