back to article Apple wins access to Google, Motorola documents

A US judge has ruled that Apple should be allowed access to details about Google's acquisition of Motorola, despite the fact that Google isn't involved in the pending Apple/Motorola cases. Apple has been fighting a proxy war with Google, suing the makers of Android handsets for various patent infringements as it can't take on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

confused...

The patent lawsuit was lodged in 2010, before Google agreed to by Motorola Mobility.

In what way would that agreement have any bearing on a patent infringement?

Please, someone enlighten me?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

BIT LIKE....

The guy living three streets away asking to watch you and your partner in bed doing the *******, because he is suing the manufacturer of his pillow.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: BIT LIKE....

Now that really is confusion

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: confused...

This specific lawsuit was filed on Dec 1, 2011 - the article is a bit wrong.

4. Ian Michael Gumby
      Devil

Re: confused...

Don't know why you're confused.

That's exactly the point.

Even with the pending lawsuit, Google is buying Moto. So when Google does their due dilligence any ongoing litigatagion is material to the merger and any documents discussed is pretty much fair game.

Good lawyer-ing on Apple's part.

2. JoshOvki
    FAIL

Google vs Apple

And it begins! Which of the two big guns will come out of this on top?

1. BitDr

Re: Google vs Apple

Which of the two big guns will come out of this on top?

Answer: Neither. Only the lawyers win.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Google vs Apple

"Answer: Neither. Only the lawyers win."

And we pay their fees in even more expensive devices. :-(

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a hope

The judge can rule it, but I can't see the relevance at all

Google isn’t a party to the lawsuit.

Motorola did not and does not have access to googles documents.

What occurred after the original case has nothing to do with the case itself

There's no way apple will get access and nor should they

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not a hope

This seems more complicated than I originally thought.

It appears that Motorola is preparing to hand over documents according to this article over on Ars. I still don't get it.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/03/apple-wins-right-to-android-development-details-in-patent-lawsuit.ars

2. Paul Shirley

Motorola have access to documents that aren't otherwise visible, dating from the Xoom's use of Android 3 and very probably their other Android devices. Remember Android 3 remains closed source because of the dirty hacks done to make it work on the Xoom (and other tablets I assume). Motorola has documentation we will never see any other way. Further, *every* OEM that bundled Googles Android apps has a contractual relation with G and that won't be fully public either.

Now I'd agree that's a pretty slim excuse for this fishing trip, that the real point of interest is Apple jumping on the merger and this is just an excuse. However the US legal system seems to allow all sorts of outrageous behaviour designed to harass opponents or gain unfair advantage. So I'm not surprised they got a judge to order this.

What I'm waiting on is Googles response. They can move to block this as a non-party to the case. I have a suspicion they'll be happy to get dragged in now. It gives them leverage to attack Apple and the near demolition of Oracles attack must give them confidence.

Once involved the serious delaying tactics can start, designed to let the USPTO work on destroying Apples IP. It's working nicely against Oracle and Apples patents aren't much better than the crap Oracle bought with Sun.

Time to put the popcorn on. This is going to get messy.

1. Adam T

"Time to put the popcorn on. "

Is it just me, or does this sentence exist in every single patent-spat related article?

At least popcorn has a good long sell-by date I guess.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

new word: iJudge

Why not?

6. Jeebus

Just which of the titans is willing to buy the most justice?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With any luck...

they'll bankrupt each other fighting over who's got the bigger di....er, patent portfolio.

Unlikely, I know, but hey, we can dream, can't we?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

MAD...

Mutually Assured Destruction...

9. D. M
    Mushroom

Apple can get away from everything

They get mad brainless follower who would do anything asked for, and they have enough money to buy off lawyers and judges. What else they cannot do?

The US legal system is broken beyond any hope. Nuke it from orbit, that's the only way to be sure.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like