back to article Yahoo! cutting! thousands! of! jobs! say! sources!

Yahoo! has declined to deny a report that it is planning another massive series of layoffs as it seeks to grow back to its former glories. Sources within the company told AllThingsD that every division was being examined for cost-cutting, and that the final number of staff to be let go could be numbered in the thousands. CEO …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

Rotton core of Yahoo! email = SPAM

My own belief is that Yahoo's #1 problem is a rotten kernel, in this case email as the core of Yahoo's residual business. What's rotten about email? SPAM to the degree where email has lost its value. Actually, Yahoo's filtering is relatively good in terms of false positives. In my experience Gmail has a relatively high false positive rate, so you probably won't lose real email by ignoring the Yahoo spam folder, but Yahoo makes up for it by their support of spammers (as in scam dropboxes) and in their rejection of spam reports (with a labyrinthine and tedious spam-reporting system.

Hey, Yahoo. Do you actually want to survive? If so, why don't you make it so EASY to report spam that the spammers will stop abusing your reputation?

Two things to remember: (1) There are far more people who hate spam than suckers who will send money to the spammers, so even a small percentage of the spam haters could help cut the spammers off from their loot. (2) The spammers can't obfuscate beyond what humans can understand when they are trying to get a human response (and remember that the suckers are way below average intelligence, too).

In conclusion, imagine a spam-fighting system built into Yahoo, something like SpamCop on steroids. Whereas SpamCop just has one round of analysis and confirmation going after the spammers' ISPs and the spammers' webhosts, such a system can and should be strengthened to go after ALL of the spammers' infrastructure and accomplices. Beyond that, it should help the secondary victims (like the slandered or defrauded companies) and even let us know when it is safe to unsubscribe (by testing the unsubscribe mechanisms for address harvesting).

In conclusion, I think Yahoo is earning their imminent bankruptcy. I only hope it inconveniences the spammers more than the rest of us.

1. Ralph B
      Holmes

Re: Rotton core of Yahoo! email = SPAM

Or maybe the money they charge spammers for letting spam get through is the only thing currently keeping them afloat.

I'm not saying they do. Only maybe.

2. Neil 7
    Unhappy

Exclamation! marks!

Perhaps the one time when they were not warranted - losing your job is not something to be made fun of.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hard! Coded!

Sorry! No! Choice!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice timing -

by Prabhakar Raghavan -

http://allthingsd.com/20120304/exclusive-yahoo-labs-head-raghavan-departing-to-google/

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ya Who ?

Never heard of them

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ya Who ?

Is this 1997? Next to this article is one about AOL.

2. Sir Cosmo Bonsor

They're the company who host your mum's email.

1. Ralph B

Your mum's inbox is so fat (continued page 94 )

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I havent been to their site in years, perhahps a decade. The last time I saw their home page on somebody else's monitor I had no idea what they were, they have been a search engine, email provider, from what I could see a celebrity news rag. If they want to survive they need to settle on a simplle vision and purse it. Currently they just have a name, one that people stopped caring about a very long time ago.

5. wordsmithjr
    Unhappy

My daughter just lost her job there.swears she will only work for a company that actually makes something.

6. Neal 5
    Thumb Down

Awaiting down vote storm.

Equally you could say Yahoo does not confirm story, but that would mean you wouldn't be able to create a shitstom of negative feeling towards Yahoo, as demonstrated by posters above, who may have valid points or not.. All your story is, to tell the truth, a mishmash of rumour and hearsay. I know full well how El reg lets you do this, because it's the PRESS and publish or be damned. However in a fragile economic situation, do you not think it wiser to create confidence rather than negativity?. Translated for the US journo, we don't want rumour, we want the truth, or otherwise, if you've nothing good to say, say nothing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Awaiting down vote storm.

No page views down that route I'm afraid, so were stuck with rumours and conjecture. Sad but true

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Commenter's favourite

Let's all hope Chris Chase is safe. !-)

8. Moyra J. Bligh
    FAIL

Just! Go! Bankrupt! Already!

My ISP made the BIG MISTAKE of partnering with these losers a few years ago - BLOATED, UGLY, CLUDGY, UNUSEABLE WEBMAIL. Took one look, threw up and now exclusively use my domain email. Only login when I can't possibly avoid it, which is about every six months.

Cant wait until YAHSUCK no longer exists and my ISP can ditch these losers!!!!!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One thing Yahoo does is well

Is providing directions. I can't tell you how many times I've received incorrect driving instructions from Google Maps (pretty though it is). My Yahoo directions have never had that problem. When people are looking up directions, I tell them to never use Google.

Also, their Finance site is pretty good.

I agree on the email, though--the spam handling sucks. It's also crowded and ugly.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yahoo! Still has thousands of employees?

Doing what?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yahoo! Still has thousands of employees?

Deleting spam reports and changing the user interface to "enhance the user experience".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like