back to article Virtual Australia & New Zealand Initiative launches

A group of public and private bodies have banded together to create a new entity charged with building a 3D virtual recreation of Australia and New Zealand. VANZI, the Virtual Australia & New Zealand Initiative, has been summoned into existence by the Co-Operative Research Centre for Spatial Information, the Victorian …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Haku

Privacy?

"Haines says that if a homeowner cannot see over their fence to a neighbour's backyard in the real world, that same impairment should remain in the virtual version of Australia and New Zealand."

So how does Google get around this with their streetview & overhead satellite/aerial photography of most of the earth?

2. ssharwood

Simon Sharwood

VANZI aspires to a higher privacy standard than Google, partly because 3D models offer a richer experience to viewers and therefore more potential for nasty exploitation.

3. Jonski
    Facepalm

And if the 3D model is incorrect, or out of date, and you still manage to dig through your neighbour's Internet connection, who is liable? I think I can guess the answer.

4. HamishNZ

Ug - this sounds like the PSMA/SIBA/VicGov "Spatial Marketplace" for 3D.

> "But VANZI won't host that database or provide an online service to access 3D models. Instead, the organisation is working on legal and technology frameworks to allow the sharing of 3D data and foresees a role for itself analogous to the bodies that facilitate transactions between banks so that creators of 3D data can share it among trusted and authorised partners."

It's hard to see what value is being added here. It sounds like VANZI wants insert itself as the middle-man and clip the ticket on the way through, but they'd do well to learn from the GIS world where simply acting as a portal or catalogue doesn't gain traction with potential suppliers or users.

You have to provide real value. Without hosting data or providing online services, what are you doing, exactly? Playing a confidence game with suppliers and users - which is a tenuous position at best.

I also see the use cases as very optimistic. From an engineering consultancy background - I can tell you that no consultant or contractor in their right mind is going to trust data that is not supplied under contract from the client or sub consultant, or created themselves. The legal ramifications and liability issues are virtually intractable for any serious industry usage. That leaves local and federal govt who can establish suitable frameworks (and don't really need to pay for the privilege) and casual users, (for whom the skills and software to use the data simply dosn't exist).

5. mark 63 Silver badge

FPS

Now thats a hell of a FPS map!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like