back to article App cuts waiting out of call centre queues

A free app that takes away the frustration of being kept on hold during phone calls to corporations has launched in the UK, saving mobile users a pretty penny in the process, its developer claims. Matt King's WeQ4U promises to do all the waiting for you. The patent pending app allows you to hang up without losing your place in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

THINK OF THE MONEY.....

that the big boys with their expensive call charge numbers will lose if this works.

I salute the creator!

I stick two fingers at those expensive rip you off phone numbers!

Until Apple patents this it will be available for all.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Security of information

Assuming the voice path is routed through a centralised infrastructure offered by the provider of this service the implication would be that the audio could be intercepted / recorded by that provider. Based on the published information it is reasonable to assume that throughout the duration of the whole call (queuing and talking to the remote party) the audio remains routed through this solution.

If you consider a lot of contacts to call centre environments are to organisations (e.g. your bank) where you go through identification and verification procedures disclosing personal information including security details this raises interesting questions on the security of your information and consequent liability if the organisations in question were to blame the caller for disclosing the information through the use of an intermediary service i.e. could the consumer become liable for the loss / fraud as a result if the details are compromised.

Note - There is no suggestion that the provider is doing anything malicious or that there are any security issues with regards to the solution itself just a question on the technical architecture and how it may fit with data security and legal frameworks

1. Anonymous Cowbard

Re: Security of information

Or, put another way, if a similar app asked you to give your online banking password so it could log you in, would you let it?

Fundamentally this is no different.

Personally I'd be OK with something like this as I'd never use it for something sensitive. For waiting on hold for Vodafone/Sky/British Gas and the like it seems a good solution.

1. Caleb Cox (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Security of information

Matt King also assured us "We take privacy very seriously and don't pass on any personal information or caller details, just in case you're wondering - there really is no catch."

3. Craig Graham 1

So what's the business model- how're they paying for it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like