back to article Archos touts Android tablets for toddlers

Reg Hardware Mobile Week Archos has jumped on the tech for tots bandwagon by announcing a 7in Android tablet called the Child Pad. The lightweight device features a 1GHz processor and 1GB of Ram powering Google's latest OS, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Archos Child Pad ICS is spruced up with a easy-to-use and highly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will be a big hit

Fisher Price-ish styling and graphics combined with small icons and long words like 'Entertainment'.

Archos - I think you need to do a little more work on understanding your audience

1. thesykes

Re: Will be a big hit

"Archos - I think you need to do a little more work on understanding your audience"

I think maybe they actually do. Kids like to copy their parents, and having a tablet that looks identical, on screen, is exactly what they want. If you want something that looks childish and bright, buy a Vtech thing and see how long they use it before asking to use your phone/tablet, becuase that' much better.

To me, this looks perfect, looks and acts exactly like an adult tablet and will stop the kids asking "can i play..." on my phone.

Personally I'd rather pay £99 for this than half that for a crappy bit of plastic with a cheap dot-matirx lcd display.

1. Steve Knox

Child Psychology

It doesn't matter how similar theirs is to yours. The one in your hands will always be "much better."

In fact, you can strike "Child" from the title...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I for one will be buying one for my kids... after all the electronic toys i've brought them my 2 & 4 year olds still love the ipad the most, the 2 year old playing games by himself! the 4 year old surfing the web and playing games...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think they DO understand the audience. I disdain this consumer grooming (because that's what it is, essentially, i.e. IF they like this one, and grow out of it, which brand will you, the parent, buy to replace it?). That said, I've been looking for a pad for my kids (4.5 and 2.5 yrs old), as they use and abuse my android phone and I would like them to have more fun drawing pictures, etc, than they do now, on a 3.5 inch screen. Alternative is a session in front of a pc, with a mouse, but a pad (x 2, alas), has an extra benefit of portability, during those longer than a blink of an eye trips.

The price seems ok-ish, although I'm sure due increase will be seen on this side of the pond, question is, did they make it robust? Not that I would expect it to withstand repeated jumping on top of it, but an occasional fall from a table, yes.

Somehow, I don't think they did though :(

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sorry - didn't make it clear. A totally Fisher Price tablet would be fine. A more grown-up looking tablet would also be fine. This thing looks like a half-hearted compromise by a designer who's not sure of its target audience.

2. frank ly
    Happy

They missed the chance......

... to call it the KiddiPAD

3. Lamont Cranston

In my limited experience*,

kids don't really need a dumbed down interface. My 5 year old can find and double-click the Firefox icon on my Vista desktop, without it needing to be anymore Fisher-Price than it already is. Not to mention, piss about with the widgets.

I think I'd rather he learnt on a "proper computer" now, lest he find them all terribly confusing when he grows up**.

*Alt: "Speaking as a parent (so feel free to ignore me)"

**Alt: "becomes an Apple customer" (sorry, couldn't resist)

1. Steve Evans

Re: In my limited experience*,

I would think the most important feature for kiddy friendly would be being water/drink proof.

That speaker grill on the end looks rather permeable to me.

1. Alain

Re: In my limited experience*,

This and having a shock-proof screen.

Capacitive? hence glass? First time drop or walk-over will be fatal.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

I want one

The way my kids play angry birds, a ruggedized tablet is my only bet...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

It looks like the Nokia Lumia.

Don't ask me how they expect to sell it...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: It looks like the Nokia Lumia.

Come on, it isn't that bad...

Anyway, it is Android, so one can always change the interface, unlike those poor sods saddled with a windows phone...

6. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Childcatcher

My kids are getting...

...a tablet without a battery. Something they can put down without regret and get out in the fresh air and sunshine. They should get "social" with kids in real life rather than remotely. The battery will be an 18th birthday present. The wife says it should be on their 25th.

7. Ross K Silver badge

All very well, but...

Can you play Club Penguin on it?

No pun intended

8. Alan Bourke

The UI doesn't need to be dumbed down particularly

as anyone with a 4-year-old and an iPad will tell you, but what would be extremely welcome is robust content filtering and family safety which is woefully lacking if not absent on the iPad.

That and a jammy finger-proof screen.

9. sisk

Great idea

Maybe if I get one of these I can finally keep tiny hands off my tablet. (Yeah, yeah, I know. A guy can dream, can't he?)

10. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

So, does it give all permissions to all apps by default...

... so the kids aren't confused?

Not that it makes much difference with Android.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like