back to article Chancer punts cig pack case for Raspberry Pi

With the Linux-based Raspberry Pi now available for purchase, punters have started to push their own home-made chassis for the case-less computer. But one opportunist is touting this customised cigarette box. Yes, you can bid on eBay for this craftily engineered Marlboro Light packet from one 'Hackneywhacko'. Custom Raspberry …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Altoids

If I'd managed to get hold of one first thing I'd try would be an an Altoids Curiously Strong Peppermints tin.

1. KrisC
      Boffin

Re: Altoids

Unfortunately that's already been tried, and apparently the curves of the tin are a bit too restrictive to let the PCB fit in.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@KrisC

I would have been very surprised if it hadn't already been tried, however it still doesn't detract from the fact that I would still try it. I'm not a great believer in being told things can't be done or that others have tried and failed. I like to fail for myself. If I'd gone through life not doing what others had said was a waste of time trying and having a certain amount of luck, I wouldn't have had the rather excellent life I've had, even if I do say so myself.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Altoids

"Unfortunately that's already been tried, and apparently the curves of the tin are a bit too restrictive to let the PCB fit in."

Not to mention you get sued by apple for the rounded corners.

2. Captain Underpants

And yet...

It's still less exploitative than the scumbags who were posting RasPis on eBay for £50 a go yesterday. (Though the bellends who bought them deserve to have the money taken off them for dealing with scalpers, frankly. Possibly some sort of Bellend Tax?)

1. Arrrggghh-otron

Re: And yet...

A self imposed Bellend Tax at that!

3. Citizen Kaned

damn...

i have loads of those fancy cases in my recycling bin....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Tips

"Thanks to Paul M and John C for the tip" .. A Filter Tip presumably?

5. TRT Silver badge

A curious approach to a product that appeals to the roll-your-own brigade.

1. Citizen Kaned

:)

you would have thought someone will build one in a golden virginia case

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: :)

Or a large baccy tin, like they sell in every market.

1. Euripides Pants

Re: Re: :)

I'd use an empty Sheep Dip bottle...

2. dogged

Re: :)

I've got an old Wild Woodbines tin and a Dremel right here waiting for mine.

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Might it be that "the foil backed paper lining" causes the Pi to burst into flames? I mean, a computer wants to be cooled, not wrapped up.

1. John Bailey
      Go

Na.. It's a screened case.. Those usually cost more..

Very thin textured foil with an insulating layer is carefully folded to the exact shape and size of the case, and even provides extra protection at the sides.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Which version?

They've changed the UK packet design 3 times in as many months, (version 1 and 3 shown here http://thumbsnap.com/i/UBgCrtiu.jpg )

1. Citizen Kaned

Re: Which version?

apparently you cant call them 'lights' any more. i keep being told when i buy them. they are now Marlboro Gold....

and dont be fooled by the all silver packet ones. they taste like camels arses.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Citizen Kaned

>they taste like camels arses.

I suppose you're expecting this so I won't disappoint, how would you know what a camels arse tastes like?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

Re: Re: Which version?

"...they taste like camels arses."

Don't all ciggies taste like shit? They sure as hell smell like it.

3. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Is Barry Cryer still claiming,

he once saw a cigarette advert of a woman smoking blissfully and the slogan "Only A Camel Can Satisfy Me"?

Aond is BBC Radio 4 Extra still regularly repeating episodes of The Goon Show, or possibly just one, where each character introduced is offered, "Have a Gorilla."

(No thanks, they hurt my throat...)

4. steogede

Re: Which version?

>> they taste like camels arses.

Camel's Arses? Why would Camel come up with an unflattering product name?

8. Tim Parker

Questions and Answers

There's some rather fine left-field stuff in there - i'm quite partial to

Q: MENTAL!..brill

A: CAPITALS!! lower case

9. Cameron Colley

I was googling for cases just to see whether there were any interesting designs out there and I saw mention of a 3D printed case -- to me that's very cool and could possibly be something schools could look into in future thus allowing budding product designers to benefit from the Pi too. Forget fancy pencil cases -- who'll have the coolest Pi case?

1. TRT Silver badge

Pi...

should always be housed in crust.

Mmmmmm.... Pie.

1. Captain Hogwash
        Coat

Re: Pi...

How many radians would you like?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I really hope so, perhaps we'll get a new generation of people who are interested in making things instead of wanting to be famous as a career.

10. Joerg

The auction is just lame viral marketing.

Try reporting the auction to eBay and you will see something that shouldn't happen.. the form has already been partially selected for you.. That would never happen on any legit auction.

Really, retarded viral marketing hype tactics.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: The auction is just lame viral marketing.

What justification would you have for reporting the auction.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The auction is just lame viral marketing.

Or maybe its just a little joke.

Read the questions, its worth it.

11. shoelace
    Happy

Which Pi..

... is the best?

Should I one day purchase a Raspberry Pi it might be rather nice to be able to find a case with Weebl and Bob emblazoned on it

12. Simon Taylor 1
    Happy

Love this one. Made me smile...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-case-Raspberry-Pi-Model-XXX-professional-Recyclable-/180833083409?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopComponents_RL&hash=item2a1a7de011#ht_500wt_1156

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like