back to article Dell has rapier-thin blade server in the works

Dell is pushing the lower limits of blade servers up against microservers. As El Reg has already told you in detail, Dell this week is previewing its PowerEdge 12G family of servers. The company divulged six different machines – one blade, one tower, three racks, and a cloudy box – but as it turns out, there is at least one …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Captain TickTock
    Facepalm

Quarter High...

Sheesh.

2.5U would have been easier. What is the standard El Reg unit of server height?

1. annodomini2

Re: Quarter High...

Pixies?

2. Norphy

Re: Quarter High...

I think the article made it clear, the server is a quarter as tall as a full height blade that fits into an M1000e chassis. I thought that the M610s we have in our chassis were pretty small, this is just silly!

2. Fuzz

HP have had same density for years

The HP blade system can also fit 32 hosts in a 10U chassis. Difference being that HPs layout has 16 half height blades each one containing two, two socket servers. Still if you're aiming for this kind of density I doubt you're buying your servers in 1s.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: HP have had same density for years

Which model? I can't find it on the website.

1. tpm (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: HP have had same density for years

HP ProLiant BL2x220c G7

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/3709945-3709945-3328410-241641-3722790-4268596.html?dnr=1

Presumably there will be a Gen8 version

3. Bill Neal
    Meh

Don't people usually get excited?

Don't people usually get excited over this sort of thing? Forrest looks like an expressionless zombie. Its as if he found that thing, picked it up and said, "Oh, and we have this. I'm not sure where it came from, but you might want it."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like