back to article Toyota, Samsung partner on car, phone connectivity

Reg Hardware Mobile Week Samsung and Toyota are going to combine cars and smartphones this year, allowing the Japanese auto giant's vehicles to interact with the South Korean company's handsets. The upshot: the arrival of the Samsung Car Mode app, which will allow Toyota cars to connect to the phone wirelessly and present …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dogged

"voice-free calling"

wat

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Here I was all hopefull...

Hoping that the deal with Samsung meant that Toyota had decided to drop MSFT software, to have my hopes dashed in the next to last paragraph... Seems that I'll have to keep looking elsewhere for my next car, then.

3. Locky
    Coat

Poisen

Alice Cooper's had some cracking work done

That's the one, with the rubber bat in the pocket. Ta

4. Armando 123

Huh

We've had OnStar in a Gm car for about five years and it's been great. When a faulty gas tank detector went phut, my wife was in the middle of nowhere and out of gas on a holiday weekend. AAA would have taken two hours to respond, OnStar got someone there within 20 minutes. We once called when it looked like we were heading into a potential tornado/massive storm when outside of 3G coverage and got an update (and alternate route) from them. And the autocalling from the car when the accelerometers detect a crash is a feature I'm glad to buy and hope I never need.

However, all the multimedia shove-in-the-features don't seem to be a great addition. We've got XM and iPods for music (communal and personal) and a $100 portable video player for the boys (not to mention iPod touches). None of this seems to be a real value-add.

Personally, I would hope Toyota would do some research into better brakes and having more room for those of us over 5'8".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well thats good news. Toyota GB are way behind the curve..

with phone / navigation / entertainment integration.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hadn't heard of MirrorLink before

Is it an app, an OS or a protocol?

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: Hadn't heard of MirrorLink before

It's a USB-based protocol for interfacing mobile applications with in-car screens. Think of it as a car-area VNC, carried over a USB cable and you'll be 90% of the way there. You get to run your apps on the car's display. If the display is touch-enabled, then those events are passed back to the phone (as are any physical keys).

Nokia's €19.99 application, for instance, lets the phone's rather good sat-nav function run on the car's bigger, in-dashboard screen, while also handling hands-free functions, and playback of the phone's music on the car stereo.

It's not just limited to mobiles, though - there's nothing to stop it being the display-and-control end of an in-car PC system.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Hadn't heard of MirrorLink before

Thank you - very nice explanation!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like