back to article Samsung stretches 5in Galaxy Note phonetab to 10in

Reg Hardware Mobile Week In a spirit, surely, of 'we don't know what the punters want so we'll give 'em everything', Samsung has announced version of its Galaxy Note 5in smartphone-cum-tablet that's almost twice the size of the current model. As its name suggests, the Galaxy Note 10.1 sports a 10.1in screen, which is built …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Wharram

Is it cos...?

Apple's lawsuits were filed against the Tab range? :)

2. Peter 48
    Thumb Up

great!

Bringing back a stylus for a tablet is one of the best things samsung have done. If you want to do anything more than consume content you would have to be a fool to choose anything else over this :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: great!

Yep. It's real easy typing with a stylus.

1. Craigness
        FAIL

Re: Re: great!

They're not for typing with. It's not real easy writing or drawing with your finger.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Re: great!

To our anonymous friend.

It's not easy typing with an onscreen keyboard either. Especially one-handed, as tablets tend to be used. So handwriting recognition is a pretty good option.

From experience of my old Windows tablet and an iPad, I'd say that frustration sets in after 1-2 paragraphs with an onscreen keyboard. But with a stylus you can get 4 or 5 in, before it starts to get annoying. That was with Vista's handwriting recognition, which was pretty good (once trained).

So if Samsung have got it to work, then hooray for them! I barely missed Flash, when I dumped my tablet PC for an iPad, and not even the physical keyboard that often. But I miss the stylus most days.

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge
          Thumb Down

Re: Re: Re: great!

Samsung stuff includes Swype, which makes text entry pretty easy. Unfortunately, everything else about the Galaxy Tab 10.1 which work bought for me is unutterably shite.

Last week's software upgrade has reduced the mean time between crashes for the browser from 20 minutes to about 10. Thanks, Samsung.

1. Audrey S. Thackeray

Re: Swype

Swype might be quite good with a stylus - anyone tried it?

3. BigG
    Trollface

The cheek - get your tanks off my lawn

Samsung have set up a temporary Galaxy Note stand in Plaça Catalunya right in front of the new "secret" Apple store opening soon. Might pop in later for a gander.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung are for tablets what HTC are for phones.

Here is a current product, with some very minor tweaks re-packaged and sold again.

5. Paul Westerman
    Flame

Grr

So when do I get ICS on my Note, Sammy?

6. Justin Clements
    FAIL

Stylus?

Does anyone really want a stylus apart from a very small minority?

Here is the problem with a stylus:

1. You lose them. Regularly. Make whichever Ebay seller you buy the replacement from "favourite" status as you'll be using them a lot.

2. If you don't hold pens for long periods these days, try holding one for the next 2 hours. If your hand isn't in absolute agony, then you're a better man than I. I had Windows Tablet years ago, and the stylus was one reason it was just so plain horrible. Once you leave school, you simply don't use pens or pencils for much in the grand scheme of things.

3. Where are the millions of users crying out for a stylus? They all seem quite happy to use their finger after all.

1. Christian Berger

Re: Stylus?

1. There's a simple solution against loosing them, make them wired. That also allows for a lot more precise technologies.

2. Well you don't have to hold the pen for anything, if you want to press buttons or scroll with your fingers that's fine. I don't see how you can have a job which pays enough to afford a tablet, without regularly using a pen or pencil? How do you extend the capacity of your brain without pens and paper?

3. There will always be a majority of idiots. There's saying in German, "Millions of flies eat dirt, does that mean you have to do it, too?"

Now what we'd really need is software which can take use of a pen. Software which can actually understand what is being drawn. So example I draw a schematic, and while I draw, the software recognizes the parts and how they are connected. It immediately "neatens up" the drawing by replacing the parts it understood with neatly drawn symbols. That way I know when it misunderstood me, and can correct it immediately. I can then use the parsed schematics to do some circuit simulation, or use it as the base for a PCB.

An architect could also draft in a sketch of what he intends to have. The computer would neaten it up and he could insert measurements. At home he would then already have a proper draft to work with, instead of some sketches on pieces of paper.

Again, it's just a question of software.

1. hitmouse

Re: Re: Stylus?

Some of that software has existed for sometime for use on Windows tablets.

Most of the really interesting stuff I do on computers is to do with editing photos, creating images and diagrams and writing/editing music. None of them are terribly easy without a stylus. I also have no trouble writing for hours with a tablet pen/stylus. There's no reason you have to use a toothpick-sized one - there are plenty which are the same shape/weight as a regular pen or pencil.

2. 100113.1537
      Thumb Down

Had Palm PDAs for over 10 years now and never lost a stylus. Had a Compaq Concerto before that and never lost the stylus. Just what are you doing with them?

A stylus expands the things you can do on a small screen so not sure if I am more enamoured of a 10.1 over the 5 inch Note, but - as always - it depends what you are using it for. As someone mentioned above, to simply consume entertainment, finger is enough, but for real input you need more.

I notice that the Lenovo Thinkpad comes with an optional stylus for business use - abyone know how many are being sold without one?

1. Wortel

There was mentioning of the stylus being optional in early reports of the Lenovo ThinkPad.. so far unconfirmed.

The device sports an opening in which the stylus can be stored, so shipping it without a stylus (and therefore with a 'big' hole in the side) makes no sense.

The ones i've seen so far, came out of the box with the stylus sitting where it should be - in it's storage slot inside the tablet.

3. strangefish

Does anyone really want a stylus apart from a very small minority?

Yes please, I find using a finger is pretty poor for anything except very basic dragging things around on a touch screen and possibly thanks to Swype some limited text entry - certainly if I am doing any drawing, even very basic doodling, it requires a stylus so I don't know where the millions are but they can form a queue behind me.

1. Christian Berger

Well even a small minority today is larger than the whole market in the past. It is profitable to make devices with pens as it means you are in a different market. Some people will buy your device just because it has a pen. That's the main selling point of the Galaxy Note.

7. Nick De Plume
    Boffin

Might work

.. as long as there are decent drawing apps supporting it, AND it can disregard palm touches when using the stylus.

This is also useful when remotely accessing a PC, in lieu of the mouse on the other end.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like