back to article Chinese cops bust culinary Apple trademark thieves

Steely-eyed industrial gumshoes in the east-central Chinese city of Wuhan have foiled a nefarious plan by dishonorable appliance punters to exploit the power of the Apple brand. In the Qiaokou district of that riverside city of 10 million souls, a firm dishonestly identifying themselves as "Apple Limited" had – without legal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous John

As long as it was fully charged,

it probably could boil noodles if dropped into the pan.

1. Arctic fox
      Happy

MacCook Air

See title.

2. Azzy
    Thumb Down

Damn :-(

They're shut down already?

That sucks, I would totally buy one of those "iPhone" stoves, just for lols... "Happy birthday! I bought you an iPhone!"

3. John Tserkezis

Horror! Shock!

China cares about copyright infringement now?

1. Steven Roper

I was going to say...

.here I was hoping China would turn out to be the last best hope of freedom from the tyranny of intellectual property rapidly descending about this benighted planet, even to the point of my being prepared to sacrifice freedom of speech in exchange for freedom from patents, but no, they seem to be falling into the same IP trap as the west. What a shame.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Re: I was going to say...

Nothing wrong with protecting your trademark IP and branding.

Without protection for branding and trademarks it becomes very hard to buy the genuine item as it allows the counterfeiters and cloners to dump all manner of fake rubbish on the market.

If you've ever bought anything from China and spent an hour trying to find out who the hell made it (to find drivers or updates) then you'll be glad we take trademarks seriously.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

Re: I was going to say...

Your freedom of speech does not preclude my right to protect my small business from clones who could drive me into the ground by dint of bigger marketing budgets. And "freedom of speech" in any case does not allow you to appropriate any. Creation of anyone else and claim it as your own - eg, it would be easy to rip El Reg's content wholesale, or he'll, just start another el Register and claim to be the real one.

The irony is that a free-for-all in IP and trademark, as you suggest, would benefit large companies at the expense of small ones almost exclusively.

Think beyond the first example you see before you make yourself look like an idiot.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPhone stove

I'm sure there's an updated version of the old "I burnt my ear the other day. The phone rang while I was doing the ironing!" joke, in there somewhere. But I'll let someone else have the fun of crafting it.

5. xantastic
    Pirate

They even stole the rounded edges!

Dastardly.

6. ItsNotMe
    Unhappy

Another inventive item...

...from the mind of Stove Jobs. God, I miss him.

1. petur
      Coat

Re: Another inventive item...

Nah... Tim Cook

7. Lars Silver badge
    Coat

Leave that problem to Proview

And let the Apple layers sleep for a moment.

8. TheOtherHobbes

Wot?

No burning platform with Nokia?

9. ideapete
    Facepalm

I wondered why ?

The telephone reception on our gas stove is so bad

1. ScottAS2
      Trollface

Re: I wondered why ?

No, no, no. You're just holding it wrong.

10. mark 63 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

its a setup i tells ya!

Sounds like the govt/police have come under some pressure to crackdown on the copyright infringements so someone said

"Quick, take these apple iphone stickers and go out and stick them on something, then make a big show of the polioce raid. Oh , and if its some crap we couldnt sell anyway, all the better"

11. amanfromearth

Just like the AppleTV

Steve did say that project was a hob-by

12. bazza Silver badge

Just like an iSomething...

...only a lot more functionality.

Flame bait in oh so many ways?

As for spotting the fakes, you can tell because it's got more than one control. Apple would have designed it with just one dial...

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: Just like an iSomething...

Oh wait, it does have just one control. Must be genuine!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ubiquitous Apple

I am currently studying in China and you would be amazed by the amount of products that use Apple's logo. Gas burner? Yeah sure. Do you want a pink wallet and a eye-popping fuchsia sweater both with the logo to go with that? Just go along any bigger street and you'll find it.

Seriously, it is so common that I stopped noticing it - Chinese are crazy about Apple! And I mean crazy-crazy!

14. Wang N Staines

This could be very dangerous if a child put these hot stoves to their ears.

I'm glad the Chinese quickly removed them from the public.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh?

What baffles me is how they can tell it's not genuine.

1. Tom 35

Re: Eh?

The gas cylinder is user replaceable.

16. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Brings a whole new meaning to 'Hot Line'.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple making the same mistakes....

Shame to see apple making the same mistakes regardless of the market they operate in....

Four static hobs arranged in a grid is terribly old hat now. I want live tiled hobs you can slide in and out all of garish colours

18. Stefan 6

But is it actually illegal?

Using the Apple logo is obviously not legal, but as far as i know Apple only trademarked the term "iPhone" only in conjunction with "mobile phones, digital audio player, electronic data-transmitting device, handheld unit for playing electronic games" ... so any company that wants could apply for the iPhone trademark for a gas stove ?!

19. ZiggyZiggy
    Joke

Sounds great - but you can only use it to cook Apple approved foods?

20. Esskay
    Joke

only a matter of time now

before Apple starts sueing smeg for putting dials on the front of their ovens...

21. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

The new iPhone iStove

Just what every Chinese bachelor needs in his iPad.

22. Parax
    Joke

Who'd a thunk it.

Turns out that when you put iphone to your ear it really does fry your brain.

23. AceRimmer
    Stop

Not the first time this has happened

I seem to recall Apple having a run in with a record company regarding trademark infringement

1. Matthew 3

Re: Not the first time this has happened

...and they created a sound on the Mac called 'sosumi' as a way of showing their high regard for legal process.

24. Spotswood
    Coffee/keyboard

but notice the iPod-like circular control wheel

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Coffee spilt on keyboard and splattered over screens.....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like