back to article Google adds Do Not Track button to Chrome

Google's Chrome browser has added a Do Not Track option that will prevent websites using your browser history to target ads at you.* Pioneered by Mozilla Firefox, the Do Not Track convention adds a field in the HTTP header of each web page instructing websites not to take info about you from your browser. Commonly used to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. bobbles31

"We want to give users control over their privacy while surfing the web, not force small web businesses to shut down"

How wonderfully considerate of them!

May I be the first to call BS?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

google, defender of small, web business(es)

sigh, you beat me to it, and I was going to try a sarky comment, something about how considerate Google are, how they care (no, really!) for all those small web businesses, how valiant to stand in their defense, and my heart bleeds, and if it doesn't it soars at such uncorporate spirit.

that said... they're no worse than any business, which proclaims: "Our sole mission is to serve our customers!" Yeah, f... right!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

None of us mind small and large shops making money from adds. Many of us mind being basically being stalked online by the add man. This movement BACK toward privacy was caused by abuse, perceived and real, that we are being overly monitored.

It's your own fault. Deal with it. Not like google is anywhere close to being poor.

3. Giles Jones Gold badge

Does the button actually work?

1. Harry
      Flame

Re "Does the button actually work?"

If its like any other google services, the privacy option will only work if you log in and/or accept cookies.

1. Craigness

Re: Re "Does the button actually work?"

And if you don't log in and/or reject cookies then you won't need it.

2. John Tserkezis

Does the button actually work?

As well as any lift that has a "Close Door" button.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if they honor it themselves ...

5. Andy Christ
    Black Helicopters

So...

Will this new feature work as well as it did in Safari and IE?

1. hexx
      Thumb Up

Re: So...

nice one ;)

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Harry

"Websites ... offer you free content and services because they are supported by advertising"

One major flaw in that argument is that many of the sites where they track visitors are *business* sites whose primary source of income ought to be the actual products and services they are selling or providing, not the sale of tracking information or advertising.

If tracking and displaying of adverts were restricted to sites where the owner has no other income whatsoever there would be less of a problem.

8. Anonymous Custard
    Meh

Umm

That add-on has been around for a while now (I'm sure it was amongst the blocks I put in place when I set up my most recent machine). Plus it's a third party one, so it's hardly "Google adds a button".

So to be more accurate "Google points people at a third party Chrome plug-in that's been around for ages anyway and many people who are savvy enough to want it have it anyway".

9. Boyd Crow

Where is this lovely button?

I have the Google Chrome Browser running on Windows XP. I don't see the "Do Not Track button". I've been through all the Chrome settings. Is there an actual button or is this some kind of oblique reference to the "Keep My Opt-Outs" extension which has been around for a long time?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old news

I have had this extension installed in Chrome for months. It went live in the middle of last year. This is not news.

11. lemmac
    FAIL

Blocking ads eliminates the primary revenue source for most web publishers.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/fail_32.png

Not at all, i haven't clicked on an add since the early days of 'punch the monkey' and don't intend to do so - so where is this money i would be otherwise generating coming from?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Ptahtenen
    Holmes

What about their own ads and cookies?

On the details tab of the store, there is a list of websites affected (at the bottom of the column on the right. You need to hover over "see all" to see the full list.)

I don't know what the addresses for Google's services are, but I can't see google.com or adwords.com on that list. Doubleclick is on the list; does google serve all it's ads via that domain?

13. Inachu
    Angel

Click here to learn the one dirty secret to keep servers from tracking you!

Turn off your pc.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like