back to article iPad owners 'considerably richer than yow'

iPad owners are far more likely to be able to claim they are considerably richer than you, a study of the thickness of tablet fondlers' wads has revealed. The survey, conducted by US market watcher NPD, found that more than 40 per cent of iPad owners have a household income in excess of $100,000 (£63,250) but only 26 per cent …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Triggerfish

So basically they are saying, that the early adopters of a new technology that was really still mostly a consumer fun device rather than an essential bit of kit, were people with cash to spare?

Wow outstanding.

1. Wize

Would I be heavily downvoted for saying the phrase...

..."More money than sense"?

2. HollyHopDrive

shock news....

....That richer people more likely to buy expensve luxury technology items.

Next they will discover that audi's and bmw's are bough by the same crowd, as opposed to those who drive a ford focus.

In shock news young people are more likely to go to university than those who earn more than 50k a year.

Also, gloves keep your hands warmer on cold days than if you dont wear gloves.

Chirst, I need a job at one of the state the bleeding obvious companies, sounds like a doddle to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: shock news....

I resent that! I might have a BMW, but I've never wasted my money on an Apple lock in, sorry, I mean product.

The missus does own a mac though... I boot camped it with Windows 7 and Linux. *snigger*

2. Lusty
      Thumb Up

Re: shock news....

"Next they will discover that audi's and bmw's are bough by the same crowd, as opposed to those who drive a ford focus."

So you're saying Android is the Ford Focus of tablets?

3. EyeFellOver
    Joke

What this story is saying:

Middle aged, middle class, middle intelligence... then the iPad is for you!

I smell a new marketing campaign!

Before all hell breaks loose in the iSheep vs. Fandroid war I'm joking! Plenty of working class people own iPads ;)

1. Andrew James

Do you stop being working class if you earn £65k a year between yourself and your partner then?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge
        Coat

@Andrew James

You do when the class warfarists turn up the rhetoric. Everyone who earns more than the national average wage is a rich bastard who should be eaten - unless you're the right sort of rich bastard (such as a union boss or a "campaigner") or you show "solidarity". Or something.

I know I'm working class. I work... except today, because my stomach is dancing around my guts and annoying the hell out of me. And I don't earn a wage when I don't work. :|

I think I lost my point somewhere.

1. JEDIDIAH
          Mushroom

Re: @Andrew James

Eat the Rich!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Eat the Rich!

The poor are tough and stringy...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Graham Dawson

Well said. I'm currently working for a place that has some "industrial action" at one of the two locations in the UK. The other UK site is now also saying they may have to go down the same route (unofficially in support of the other site, officially because they cant agree redundancy terms with management [because no redundancies required from this site]). The union bosses are stirring things up and making things a lot more difficult than they need to be, and thats before you get to the untruths they're passing to the press etc. Not lies as such, but not the whole truth either.

The union is picking out strike dates that result in the weekend shift workers getting hit hardest and coming away with almost zero pay, while the workers who do week shifts might miss a bit of pay but at least get most of theirs.

Its a joke. And not only that, but they're putting my livlihood at risk too. Because sooner or later the parent company will pull the plug on the uk operation completely if they dont all stop being so petty.

2. Gunnar Wolf
        Holmes

No, you stop being working class...

Andrew says: «Do you stop being working class if you earn £65k a year between yourself and your partner then?»

Nope. You stop being working class when you stop working.

4. Lloyd
    Windows

That's shocking

Who knew Kathy Burke was ever that thin?

5. Mondo the Magnificent
    Devil

Bollocks...

I had to dip into overdraft to pay for mine... but after reading this article I feel like a "working class hero"

6. g e
    Go

Confirming the demographic

When you have A, B, C1, C2, D, E you must also now consider the 'MMTS' band .. More Money Than Sense.

A demographic Apple has been mining all along with absolute genius. Much as I abhor Apple products their psychological marketing approach & execution is undeniably godlike.

One reason (of quite a few) why I don't want anything Apple makes is because I know people would pigeonhole me in that demographic as quickly as a chap may eye a blonde and think 'phwoar' with no regard to whether she has any personality or not under that attractive exterior.

1. Steve Evans

Re: Confirming the demographic

I think you are under estimating Apple's marketing.

There is a whole other demographic which partake in the distortion field.

MCTS - More credit than sense.

7. dotdavid
    Joke

Correction

"iPad owners are far more likely to be able to claim they are considerably richer than you"

Surely you mean *were* not *are*?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Think of the poor and getting poorer children!

They can just about afford they PAYG phone....always looking for how to avoid the next top up....and then they now have a 3G iPad to cough up for!

But it is ok because mumsnet have said that poor mum will skip a meal so little Jonny can "eat"....I think they mean eat all the data!

The world has gone mad and I want to get off!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It is all about priorities...

All the people I know who have an iPad have either had it bought for them as they could not afford it, been supplied it by their employer, won it in a competition or gone without basic necessities to be able to afford it.

Why? Well because an iPad says so much about your status in life......

Come to think of it, one of my tenants has one and the bastard is three weeks behind with his rent....

9. Some Beggar
    FAIL

Half a story isn't really a story.

Without the median household income and the percentage of the entire population that fall into the $100k plus bracket (or preferably similar figures for disposable income) then these figures are almost meaningless. They don't tell us very much beyond what the other posters have pointed out: people with more cash are more likely to buy the latest gewgaws.

Did you miss some critical bit of the report? Or did the report itself miss out the vital info?

(would now be a good time to raise the old whinge about the dearth of links to source material in Reg articles?)

1. Some Beggar
      Happy

Re: Half a story isn't really a story.

Thanks for adding the link to the source. I will now (temporarily) stop whinging.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPad 3

And that'll be me too!

11. Andrew James

OMG WTF

The reason i haven't bought the latest [insert name of desirable gadget here] yet is because i dont have enough money. *shock*

12. squilookle

So, we learned 4 things then:

1. People who can afford the device were most likely to buy it

2. The device has capabilities such as web surfing and over time, as the device gained more acceptance, people started using it for those capabilities more than they did when it was less accepted

3. Most folk who buy the devices but also have a laptop, still use both of the devices they still own. It is not specified, but (I assume it's because) they have different but overlapping functionality, and the functions that do overlap are performed in different ways with differing degrees of convenience, ease and success, and are suited to different environments/circumstances.

4. Something about what people are going to buy next, which was the least obvious thing here but still pretty pointless.

There are two more things I want to know:

5. Do the researchers fit in the group that I afford the iPads (I'm guessing they do)

6. If the answer to the last question is "yes"... how do I get a job doing these surveys, because it looks like a cushy job...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So basically iPad owners are successful, good looking and great in bed whereas Android users ain't... off to the Apple store then!

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge
      Angel

Also humble. And they never lie.

Ever.

Nope.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presumably they've questioned people who have bought iFondleSlabs...

There must be a significant proportion of folk earning > $100k who haven't bought one - or indeed any slab-like products...

Maybe they're the ones who'll be keeping their piles of dosh...

15. Andrew James

I've had to come back to this because i really can't believe a "market watcher" deems this worthy of a report, and that The Reg considers it news.

Say you earn $100,000 per year, so roughly $8,000 per month. A $500 iPad is going to cost you only 1/16th of your monthly salary. Its not a significant purchase that's particularly expensive to you, you've seen them around and they look decent, so you buy one and give it a go.

If you're earning $800 per month, and you see something for $50, is it news if you go out and buy it because you've heard a lot about it and it looks decent? Same 1/16th of your monthly salary. Yet this would not be news.

Guy earning $1,000,000 per year buys a $5,000 hi-fi ... OMFG this is unbelievable. Not.

40% of people who purchase a $0.50 chocolate bar have $100 in their pocket. Only 26% of people who choose to buy a cereal bar have $100 in their pocket. OMG quick we need to publish this immediately.

16. Wang N Staines
    Happy

The guys down the council estates are richer than me because they all got Sky.

1. Some Beggar

And their running shoes are ever so clean.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Re: Council estate dwellers

That's because you are paying for it. Sucks, dunnit?

17. Cameron Colley

Perhaps cash rich but time poor?

Those with less cash may have more time to play with, for example, an Android tablet rather than wanting something simple that is less open to customisation. Tose with more money and less time want something that "just works" and don't care about the limitations (perceived or not) of the iPad.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why am I never in the stats !

I earn a ton of money, but I haven't got an ipad ... that sucks, feeling like a right outcast !

I should have really stopped spending on nice adventure holidays, cruising the seas and trekking the world to buy more gadgets ...

where did it all go wrong ;-P

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: why am I never in the stats !

Amen. Every time I consider a purchase like this, I try to think of it in terms of things I usually spend my money on.

Plane tickets to see my family over the holidays: 2 tickets or 1 iPad.

Groceries: Food for 2-3 months, or 1 iPad.

A full month's rent.

1/3 of the cost of my vacation to see the redwoods in California.

And taking into account that I can do everything an iPad can do either on my phone or my laptop, and with greater effiency (at least in the case of the laptop, I'd say eqaul efficiency on the phone) and I simply can't justify the purchase. And I'm in the same boat as you (plenty of money to purchase one).

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Police stop man in car

[policeman] Sir, Why do you have 5000 ipads in your back pocket?

[man] because i am rich.

20. Local Group
    Devil

Adjusted for inflation since 1975...

and with different demographics (US population in 1975), the iPad sales to the same income and age groups are identical to the sales of The Pet Rock.

I had two Pet Rocks then and soon I'm going to get an iPad3.

............................................... downvotes over here>>>>>>>>>

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like