back to article Apple gobbles apps search robot Chomp

Apple has scooped up a search engine for apps in an acquisition for an undisclosed sum yesterday, although Bloomberg said a source had revealed the price at around $50m. Insiders expect that Chomp's proprietary search engine set up by Aussie Ben Keighran in 2009 to promote app discovery will become a cornerstone of the new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Giles Jones Gold badge

I think the problem with iTunes it not that is needs more technology, it needs massively less. It needs to be cut down massively and just turned into an installation tool and sync tool for music like it used to be. It's such a horrible slow pile of bloat.

Leave all the browsing and searching for the web which is a damn sight nicer to use. With the advantage of being able to open tabs and the like.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think this is meant for the iTunes store, not the application.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any chance they can add this

to the Government Cloud Store?

3. Andy Christ

Hope Apple didn't pay a lot, Chomp bites.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

mentalist

imagine if apple applied the same rules and regulations to android apps and allowed them to be sold via the itunes app store.... taking the 30% cut along the way.

well why not?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: mentalist

Hahaha.

Why not go the whole way and have some Bootcamp-style way of running Android on Apple's phones?

Now, THAT would confuse the fandroids.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: mentalist

Errmm - coz Apple makes its real money from selling phones and the iTunes store is all about retention?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: mentalist

maybe... economies of scale etc could turn that around. but i agree it flies in the face of apple's ethos and precedent to date.

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Big Brother

I must admit

I'm slowly turning into an Apple fanboi.

It must be an evil plot....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...Improved app search could solve one of the app store's big problem..."

The most teeth-grindingly irritating problems with the ITunes App Store are not down to the poor search results [although they are pants], but due to the completely chaotic navigation, whereby screens/pages link or fail to link to other screens/pages in completely different ways, depending on how you arrived at them, in the first place.

Human Interface Guidelines, my arse!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like